You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:38pm
Players eligible for the next U21 campaign

Name (Caps)

Gavin Bazunu (3)
Brian Maher (0)

Lee O'Connor (13)
Nathan Collins (4)
Mark McMcGuinness (1)
Kameron Ledwidge (1)

Conor Coventry (13)
Jason Knight (7)
Gavin Kilkenny (6)
Simon Power (4)
Will Smallbone (1)
Will Ferry (1)
Luca Connell (0)

Adam Idah (11)
Aaron Connolly (7)
Troy Parrott (5)
Michael Obafemi (5)
Jonathan Afolabi (3)
Joshua Kayode (2)
Ryan Cassidy (0)

*Players in bold capped at senior level
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 9:25pm
Strong squad and there will be others to come up from the 19's I'd hope.

When does the next campaign begin?

Edited by Fozz - 19 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:37pm
Still strong, Joe hodge in the mix too 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Strong squad and there will be others to come up from the 19's I'd hope.

When does the next campaign begin?

Going off this campaign starting March 2019 I'd assume next March matches can start but because of Covid and the seniors playing three games in March the FAI would be wise to try get the first games played in June or September if the Toulon Tournament is a possibility next summer. 

Because of Covid and two tournaments happening next summer they might push the qualifiers to that September anyway. Probably hear more in the next two weeks as it's early December they normally decide the hosts, ourselves and the North put a bid in and draw the groups.
jimjims View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:00pm
Is this campaign completely dead or we just assume Iceland will hammer the Armenians. Iceland game was the clincher.Pity the senior team needed the players.
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:04pm
its dead, we don't have enough points to be one of the best 2nd placed teams
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:06pm
Yeah completely over for us.
Roll on the next campaign and hopefully we get U19 and U17 football back in 2021 also.

We certainly need some younger players to talk up and hope to Make Ireland Great Again*

*we were never really great.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:59am
Reviving this now as I read this over the weekend:

https://www.uefa.com/under21/news/0265-1140e6c2f1d2-9e5a29437f36-1000--2021-23-under-21-qualifying-draw-28-january/

So the draw on Jan 28 will show us our opponents for the next tournament and off we go again.
We are in Pot 3 this time so have moved up a pot from last time.

I'm looking forward to this kicking off again as there's no doubt we can field a strong squad from the get-go and will also be interesting to see what new names are brought in.
Bad news is that the early games will be Covid-afflicted, which may affect the squad breadth and make us rely more on UK&I players only.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 1:12pm
Draw made and it's almost the same as the last comp!
That's mad, and a bit of a shame really as I doubt Sweden will be as easy next time around.
Bosnia a tough pot 4 draw also.

No word yet on fixtures in March...

Group F: Italy*, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Luxembourg

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 1:19pm
at least with underage it’s by and large not the same players and teams.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

at least with underage it’s by and large not the same players and teams.  

True, hopefully someone can post a list of who is eligible for this new campaign and a list of key players we have lost to both ageing out and promotion to the senior team.

EDIT, see the post at the top of this page for some of that already Shocked

Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Players eligible for the next U21 campaign

Name (Caps)

Gavin Bazunu (3)
Brian Maher (0)

Lee O'Connor (13)
Nathan Collins (4)
Mark McMcGuinness (1)
Kameron Ledwidge (1)

Conor Coventry (13)
Jason Knight (7)
Gavin Kilkenny (6)
Simon Power (4)
Will Smallbone (1)
Will Ferry (1)
Luca Connell (0)

Adam Idah (11)
Aaron Connolly (7)
Troy Parrott (5)
Michael Obafemi (5)
Jonathan Afolabi (3)
Joshua Kayode (2)
Ryan Cassidy (0)

*Players in bold capped at senior level

Out of that list, Knight, Connolly and Idah are surely seniors, Collins not far behind him, Smallbone out until next season.

We should be looking at promoting the likes of Hodge and Odubeko for a start.
Danny Grant, Conor Noss, Oko-Flex, Deji Sotona....who else?  

Am hopeful someone like Gavin Kilkenny can really shine in this team.

I'm thinking the likes of Ferguson and Zefi are too young but there is a train of thought that they are such promising talents they should be fast-tracked.
Ferguson has played senior football in LOI and looks well able physically to hold his own against anyone he'd face in this comp.

Interesting times.

Edited by Fozz - 28 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm
I think Danny Grant is overage unfortunately. I would see the options for the early part of the group as:

GK: Bazunu, Maher
RB: O'Connor, Ebosele
LB: O'Malley, Richards
CB: Collins, McGuinness, Omobamidele
CM: Hodge, Coventry, Connell, Kilkenny, Noss, Bowden, Staunton(assuming Knight is with the senior team and Smallbone is long term injured)
WG: Ferry, Wright, Okoflex
FW: Parrott, Obafemi (when back fit), Afolabi, Kayode, Cassidy, hopefully Odubeko (assuming Connolly and Idah are with the seniors)

Other younger players that might feature later in the campaign would be Roughan, Ferguson and Furlong.

Edited by You Tell Me - 28 Jan 2021 at 2:35pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think Danny Grant is overage unfortunately...

Ah OK, cheers for pointing that out.
So is this comp for those born from Jan 1st, 2000 and on?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Yes 1/1/2000 is the cut off. Possibly 2000 and 2001 are our strongest years in recent memory in terms of depth of playing pool so lots of options for the management team.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:54pm
There are plenty options. The crop of U21s in the Toulon tournament/last campaign they were very promising but it’s great to see that wasn’t a flash in the pan and the talent following up behind is as vast. 

It will take 4/5 years to really see the benefits of this get but hopefully with time we really will. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

There are plenty options. The crop of U21s in the Toulon tournament/last campaign they were very promising but it’s great to see that wasn’t a flash in the pan and the talent following up behind is as vast. 

It will take 4/5 years to really see the benefits of this get but hopefully with time we really will. 

I think this is a really key point in terms of the long term project we are just starting. We actually have pipeline now and a system that is producing talent regularly. I think we are guilty of looking at the senior team as the only indicator of our status, but there are a lot of things moving in the right direction. Looking forward to having the best of several age groups lining out for us 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 1:59am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I think this is a really key point in terms of the long term project we are just starting. We actually have pipeline now and a system that is producing talent regularly. I think we are guilty of looking at the senior team as the only indicator of our status, but there are a lot of things moving in the right direction. Looking forward to having the best of several age groups lining out for us 

If you look at it practically of that Toulon tournament crop let’s call them. We have 3 that are regulars/semi regulars in PL squads O’Shea Connolly and Kelleher already. They have established themselves in those squads although Kelleher hasn’t played many games he’s now clear 2nd choice. 
Obafemi broke into the Southampton team didn’t go to plan but was destined for a loan to Swansea before an injury. 

Knight already looks destined for top flight football in the next 18-20 months at least with Collins almost certainly following him in fact I’d be astonished if Collins didn’t follow him. 
That’s 6 players born in 1999,2000,2001 that broke or will potentially break through/play at PL clubs by the age of 21. 
Smallbone I’m almost sure would be firmly a regular in Southampton’s 18 if injury didn’t jinx him also. 

Had we 6 players prior to 2019/2020 that broke through/established themselves in PL 18s let’s say by the age of 21 in the previous decade for context I’m badly struggling to think of 3.

Molumby while he hasn’t yet already looks comfortable in the Championship and I’m confident he will play PL football too and you can throw Idah into this too getting minutes off the bench at Norwich prior to injury and he competing with as good a set of strikers as any club the Championship for one starting spot nearly.

On top of that there is an awful lot of other lads playing in the Championship,League 1, League 2 and Scotland even from this age bracket. McNamara at Millwall a prime example of one flying up the ranks already. Even 3 or 4 of the dozens in this age bracket did like Egan Doherty Robinson Stevens Duffy Randolph lets say and developed into top flight calibre footballers later on in their careers thats better again.

It’s really when you put it in isolation it’s not too shabby at all. If the 2002,2003,2004 generations and so on could start producing close to as much talent as the above then you really are looking at building a decent team in the next 5/6 years.

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jan 2021 at 2:34am
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:35am

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

If you look at it practically of that Toulon tournament crop let’s call them. We have 3 that are regulars/semi regulars in PL squads O’Shea Connolly and Kelleher already. They have established themselves in those squads although Kelleher hasn’t played many games he’s now clear 2nd choice. 
Obafemi broke into the Southampton team didn’t go to plan but was destined for a loan to Swansea before an injury. 

Knight already looks destined for top flight football in the next 18-20 months at least with Collins almost certainly following him in fact I’d be astonished if Collins didn’t follow him. 
That’s 6 players born in 1999,2000,2001 that broke or will potentially break through/play at PL clubs by the age of 21. 
Smallbone I’m almost sure would be firmly a regular in Southampton’s 18 if injury didn’t jinx him also. 

Had we 6 players prior to 2019/2020 that broke through/established themselves in PL 18s let’s say by the age of 21 in the previous decade for context I’m badly struggling to think of 3.

Molumby while he hasn’t yet already looks comfortable in the Championship and I’m confident he will play PL football too and you can throw Idah into this too getting minutes off the bench at Norwich prior to injury and he competing with as good a set of strikers as any club the Championship for one starting spot nearly.

On top of that there is an awful lot of other lads playing in the Championship,League 1, League 2 and Scotland even from this age bracket. McNamara at Millwall a prime example of one flying up the ranks already. Even 3 or 4 of the dozens in this age bracket did like Egan Doherty Robinson Stevens Duffy Randolph lets say and developed into top flight calibre footballers later on in their careers thats better again.

It’s really when you put it in isolation it’s not too shabby at all. If the 2002,2003,2004 generations and so on could start producing close to as much talent as the above then you really are looking at building a decent team in the next 5/6 years.

All very positive. But is there any potential world class attacking talent coming through? Is there a potential Liam Brady in that bunch? My sense is that is that the majority of that bunch will play Championship/bottom 10 EPL level (as per current standards). The ones with the potential (thus far) to make it with top6 teams are primarily defensive players.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 99100101102103>
  Share Topic