You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 103>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 5:57pm
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/academy/20190615-loan-watch-ronan-slovakia-move-a-risk-that-s-paid-off/

That link doesn't work for me...here's a working one :

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/academy/20190615-loan-watch-ronan-slovakia-move-a-risk-that-s-paid-off/#

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:51pm
Try this one... 

Clown
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:37pm
https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/academy/20190615-loan-watch-ronan-slovakia-move-a-risk-that-s-paid-off/#

He's a quality player. Was very impressed with him the other night.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In fairness to JD Ruud Doktor's appointment looks to have been an excellent one.  Not sure exactly what impact he has had but it can't b a coincidence that all the under age teams are doing well now.

Agreed. I think the national leagues are a great idea, especially the connection to a LOI club. I realise that the big schoolboy clubs are against it and there are some valid criticisms e.g. it should be for every age group not just odd years. 

I was also an advocate of summer soccer. Makes complete sense. Yes you are going against other sports but and you will lose some players but at least the players you don't lose get a better standard of football and facilities. Short sighted self interest got this reversed.

Down the country really talented underage players get just 1 night training per week because they are being pulled into gaa and other things and the local soccer club is not strong enough in the community to do anything. But when they get called into the regional/national league teams this changes. More regular training, soccer focused, playing a higher standard. At a national level this then increases our pool and we are not then just dependent on the traditional few superclubs in Dublin.

Which is a contradiction in itself.

Take any local league down the country.

Hypothetically speaking, in a 10 team under 14 league most teams lose 3 or 4+ players each to Gaelic or Hurling due to the clash with summer soccer.

Decreased numbers = Stretched resources which increase the chances of walkovers being given + the stronger teams who maybe able to cope with losing a few players are now playing against far inferior and weaker opposition (especially smaller and rural clubs) due to lack of numbers.

Non competitive and smaller leagues are a given, as I said most rural and small clubs are dependent on dual players to filter back in when the GAA season is over. 

The benefits of LOI underage season being summer is that many of these kids come back into their local leagues and play for a few months of the winter, thus increasing player numbers and bringing up the overall standard.

Also, I'm not sure what league you're involved in but most clubs down these parts will train twice a week (mine do anyway from under 11's up)

Between players getting on their local counties academy team, playing soccer in school, regional teams or breaking into a LOI underage set up etc there is more than enough reason to stick with the tried and tested, by going summer school you alienate kids and force them to choose a favourite sport and then potentially lose them for good.

For the most part while it's improving, the standard of coaching throughout the country is poor. 

A huge percentage of "coaches" wouldn't have beyond their kickstart 1 or 2, yet we're trusting these people to improve kids to a point where they're technically competent. 
Rather than having a back and forth with you I dont agree but respect your opinion.  The tried and tested point u make is exactly my point.  Winter soccer didn't exactly lead to huge success at international level. I think summer season would work if tried over a longer period.  But there is always a risk with change.
It's not me it's you:-)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm
@AbuAbu and I to yours Thumbs Up

Again I will come back to the standard of coaching in this country, there are many coaches even in academies now without even so much as their kickstart 1 or 2 "coaching" teams, they are given these jobs because their local club may have won a league.

I went and done the UEFA B Licence (will try get both the UEFA A and Pro Licence done within the next 10 years) and I can honestly while I'm nowhere near perfect as coach and have countless more aspects to improve on but like anything in life education is so important.

It's no surprise tiny countries like Iceland are producing a lot of young talent even with a small population, you have to have a certain level of qualification before you can take over any sort of side there.

There are many coaches out there with loads of qualifications but are poor coaches down to arrogance or their mannerism, but definitely on the law of averages the better educated coaches are the better the players (kids especially) become.

Making coaching courses cheaper and more accessible is a big one for the FAI to manage imo!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 8:44am
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:08am
shocking, disgraceful decision. Keane and mc Carthy still lining their pockets though so that’s grand. f**k off FAI.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:01am
We should at least try to enter once every two years so that each set of players gets to play it in.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:23am
the whole thing would have cost less than his royal highnesses birthday bash!
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:13am
the other part of that announcement is far more relevant and shows the gravy train has lost all its wheels. The number of officials travelling free to away games has been cut to the bone. This was one of the many presents that the “football family leeches” silence was bought off.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

shocking, disgraceful decision. Keane and mc Carthy still lining their pockets though so that’s grand. f**k off FAI.

It's a disgrace that the team can't go to the tournament and it shouldn't happen but you can't lay the blame at the door of Keane and McCarthy. They're entitled to be paid according to the terms of the agreed contract. 

It's the FAI's own incompetence, not the current or previous management's fault. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 1:20pm
not blaming the two greedy ****s, who are well aware the pieces of silver in their pockets mean other parts of the organisation go short, rather the deluded f**kwits who awarded contracts on a par with top level teams. We are not in a position to offer bigger wages than Northern Ireland, Iceland, wales etc and shouldn’t be paying as if we were.

Edited by oldbilly - 07 Feb 2020 at 1:20pm
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:05am
Quinn says Toulon tournament participation is back on Smile
Ceemo3185 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceemo3185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:26pm
Not sure if it was mentioned in June, but UEFA have made it a little bit easier for us to qualify for the U-21's finals in Hungary and Slovenia.

Originally the plan was the 9 groups winners along with the winner of a playoff between the two best runners-up would join Hungary and Slovenia in a 12 team tournament next summer.

In June however, UEFA decided that the nine group-winners and the five best runners-up will be joined by hosts Hungary and Slovenia for a group stage of four groups of four from 24 to 31 March 2021, with groups hosted by Hungary and by Slovenia.

The four group-winners and the four runners-up will then qualify for the final tournament which will be played as a straight knock-out final eight (quarter-finals and semi-finals in Hungary and Slovenia and the final in Ljubljana) from 31 May to 6 June 2021.

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:59am
we really should qualify then unless things go complete tits up. so will the countries have first call on players in March? If not it becomes an unsatisfactory tournament like that under 19 tournament was in Azerbaijan or Armenia last year.

It’s hard to see The likes of Phil Foden head off to an under 21 tournament next year around March.

Edited by Dots1982 - 06 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:09am
Hopefully it will be timed to match with a senior international window, most under 21 players are with their clubs senior squads so it would be pointless if it was held during a domestic football week.

We will be weakened either way though, a good few of our under 21s will be with the Seniors if it's an international window.

Edit - just had a look there, the group stages of the finals are being timed to coincide with the first two UEFA qualifying rounds for the 2022 senior world cup.

So not coinciding with club games but I think we can forget about having access to the likes of Connolly, Molumby and O'Shea as they'll be with the senior squad.

Edited by You Tell Me - 06 Aug 2020 at 10:14am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Ceemo3185 Ceemo3185 wrote:

Not sure if it was mentioned in June, but UEFA have made it a little bit easier for us to qualify for the U-21's finals in Hungary and Slovenia.

Originally the plan was the 9 groups winners along with the winner of a playoff between the two best runners-up would join Hungary and Slovenia in a 12 team tournament next summer.

In June however, UEFA decided that the nine group-winners and the five best runners-up will be joined by hosts Hungary and Slovenia for a group stage of four groups of four from 24 to 31 March 2021, with groups hosted by Hungary and by Slovenia.

The four group-winners and the four runners-up will then qualify for the final tournament which will be played as a straight knock-out final eight (quarter-finals and semi-finals in Hungary and Slovenia and the final in Ljubljana) from 31 May to 6 June 2021.

Looking at our situation we have 16 points already wins against Iceland (we slipped up away) but that is winnable confident we will win it and Luxembourg the whipping boys of the group should get us there. 22 points would surely put us well inside the top 5 of runners up and we can also look at Italy knowing that if we win our 2 games even if they win all theirs we will play them knowing we can top the group with a win there. Would be a huge carrott
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 103>
  Share Topic