Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 103>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:00am
In fairness to JD Ruud Doktor's appointment looks to have been an excellent one.  Not sure exactly what impact he has had but it can't b a coincidence that all the under age teams are doing well now.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:01am
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

can we be guaranteed to hang on to the likes of Coventry. 

As long as he stays on the fringes at west ham, his contract up in summer and he is reluctant to sign a new one. Can see him in championship at best next season. Dont think there is need to worry

His mother is from Cabra so hopefully she will make him see sense if ever does think of switching :)
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In fairness to JD Ruud Doktor's appointment looks to have been an excellent one.  Not sure exactly what impact he has had but it can't b a coincidence that all the under age teams are doing well now.
Was thinking the same thing myself, noticed him on the pitch at full time in Tallaght the other night beaming from ear to ear, big contrast to when jd had him up in front of the oirochteas committee a few months back.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

can we be guaranteed to hang on to the likes of Coventry. 

As long as he stays on the fringes at west ham, his contract up in summer and he is reluctant to sign a new one. Can see him in championship at best next season. Dont think there is need to worry

His mother is from Cabra so hopefully she will make him see sense if ever does think of switching :)

Don’t think there’s any chance he’ll jump, he seems pretty much nailed on
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:38am
Coventry was class the other night. Needs a move from West Ham soon, loan or otherwise.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:39am

Agreed. I think the national leagues are a great idea, especially the connection to a LOI club. I realise that the big schoolboy clubs are against it and there are some valid criticisms e.g. it should be for every age group not just odd years. 

I was also an advocate of summer soccer. Makes complete sense. Yes you are going against other sports but and you will lose some players but at least the players you don't lose get a better standard of football and facilities. Short sighted self interest got this reversed.

Down the country really talented underage players get just 1 night training per week because they are being pulled into gaa and other things and the local soccer club is not strong enough in the community to do anything. But when they get called into the regional/national league teams this changes. More regular training, soccer focused, playing a higher standard. At a national level this then increases our pool and we are not then just dependent on the traditional few superclubs in Dublin.
It's not me it's you:-)
delgado View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:51am
yes country clubs generally only traon once a week ,though with the emerging talent  programme kids are getting spotted earlier which is a big help.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:56am

Plenty of midfield talent (including number 10's) under the age of 24 around the senior and underage teams. 

Byrne
Cullen
Molumby
Coventry
Ronan
Kilkenny

I wouldn't put Joe Hodge into the above group yet as he is miles away from first team experience but he looks like a good lad too. 

El Puto Amo
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Agreed. I think the national leagues are a great idea, especially the connection to a LOI club. I realise that the big schoolboy clubs are against it and there are some valid criticisms e.g. it should be for every age group not just odd years. 

I was also an advocate of summer soccer. Makes complete sense. Yes you are going against other sports but and you will lose some players but at least the players you don't lose get a better standard of football and facilities. Short sighted self interest got this reversed.

Down the country really talented underage players get just 1 night training per week because they are being pulled into gaa and other things and the local soccer club is not strong enough in the community to do anything. But when they get called into the regional/national league teams this changes. More regular training, soccer focused, playing a higher standard. At a national level this then increases our pool and we are not then just dependent on the traditional few superclubs in Dublin.

Which is a contradiction in itself.

Take any local league down the country.

Hypothetically speaking, in a 10 team under 14 league most teams lose 3 or 4+ players each to Gaelic or Hurling due to the clash with summer soccer.

Decreased numbers = Stretched resources which increase the chances of walkovers being given + the stronger teams who maybe able to cope with losing a few players are now playing against far inferior and weaker opposition (especially smaller and rural clubs) due to lack of numbers.

Non competitive and smaller leagues are a given, as I said most rural and small clubs are dependent on dual players to filter back in when the GAA season is over. 

The benefits of LOI underage season being summer is that many of these kids come back into their local leagues and play for a few months of the winter, thus increasing player numbers and bringing up the overall standard.

Also, I'm not sure what league you're involved in but most clubs down these parts will train twice a week (mine do anyway from under 11's up)

Between players getting on their local counties academy team, playing soccer in school, regional teams or breaking into a LOI underage set up etc there is more than enough reason to stick with the tried and tested, by going summer school you alienate kids and force them to choose a favourite sport and then potentially lose them for good.

For the most part while it's improving, the standard of coaching throughout the country is poor. 

A huge percentage of "coaches" wouldn't have beyond their kickstart 1 or 2, yet we're trusting these people to improve kids to a point where they're technically competent. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Plenty of midfield talent (including number 10's) under the age of 24 around the senior and underage teams. 

Byrne
Cullen
Molumby
Coventry
Ronan
Kilkenny

I wouldn't put Joe Hodge into the above group yet as he is miles away from first team experience but he looks like a good lad too. 

Love the look of Hodge and he's back training now after a bad injury, which is great news. 
I don't get why Ronan is not being linked with an upgrade to the seniors. 
Always impresses and is playing men's football week in week out...surely only a matter of time. 
Kenny will certainly bring him up! 
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Byrne
Cullen
Molumby
Coventry
Ronan
Kilkenny

Love the look of Hodge and he's back training now after a bad injury, which is great news. 
Always impresses and is playing men's football week in week out...surely only a matter of time. 

Ronan didnt set the world alight in lge1 with Portsmouth or Walsall. Think that's what is going against him, but I dont think he is suited to the way seniors play. Wolves are sensible, sent him to a club where his ability is utilised rather than seen as a risk
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:35pm

Ronan's playing in Slovakian league football, which, Slovan aside, is basically LOI standard - about the 30th best league in Europe. He'd have to be tearing it up there pretty good to be considered for senior international football.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:43pm
Would like to see an interview with him when that loan spell ends to see what his impressions of playing abroad were. He obviously can't give an honest opinion of it, if his impressions are negative.

However, he's technically very good, so may have to look further afield than England if he wants to have a successful career.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Ronan's playing in Slovakian league football, which, Slovan aside, is basically LOI standard - about the 30th best league in Europe. He'd have to be tearing it up there pretty good to be considered for senior international football.
Not at all! See Byrne, Jack.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 4:26pm
Besides have you all seen Hostel? He's not goin to be much use to us if he falls for a honey trap and loses his legs to a chainsaw.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

The connections with LOI clubs was a no brainer. The thing is that the LOI clubs need help financially on this new system or there is the potential it wont last. Most LOI clubs are living hand to mouth and are looking at around €80k to 100k extra on top of things to run all these underage teams. When the purse strings get tight one of the first things to go will be the underage teams. The FAI will be waxing lyrical about how their new initiatives are baring fruit at grass roots but that isint good enough if they aren't helping clubs as part of it. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 5:23pm

Byrne
Cullen
Molumby
Coventry
Ronan
Kilkenny

Ronan didnt set the world alight in lge1 with Portsmouth or Walsall. Think that's what is going against him, but I dont think he is suited to the way seniors play. Wolves are sensible, sent him to a club where his ability is utilised rather than seen as a risk

Can't disagree with that. 
I'd say his next move is critical. 
After this term his U21 days will be behind him and is he doesn't make some sort of club breakthru, he could vanish, which would be a shame. 

PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 5:44pm

Byrne
Cullen
Molumby
Coventry
Ronan
Kilkenny

Can't disagree with that. 
I'd say his next move is critical. 
After this term his U21 days will be behind him and is he doesn't make some sort of club breakthru, he could vanish, which would be a shame. 

He needs to avoid the lower divisions/spfl, next pre-season is possibly his last chance to make an impression with Wolves. He could do with using Wolves contacts to go to maybe a Portuguese team outside of sporting, benfica or Porto. If he doesn't make it at Wolves he would be better staying on the continent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 103>
  Share Topic