You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2021 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 103>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

What. A. Header.

Now hang on for the win.

This gave me a laugh. Not saying you're wrong by the way, as I probably would have thought the same. But it's so refreshing to see 4 players breaking free in injury time and the team to get another goal, instead of sitting on the edge of the box trying to keep the other team out.

Mick is dead right about leaving the players where they are. Fantastic opportunity for them to qualify for the first time, and realistically, throwing them in to do-or-die games in which qualification for what is effectively a home tournament for us might hinder their development.

The best part about watching this team, aside from the technical ability, is the team spirit that seems to be within the squad. They all seem to love playing for the jersey.

Sweden attacked our goal straight after we had taken the lead and  before I posted that. There was 5 mins of injury time.
Its easy to watch a clip on twitter of Parrott scoring a breakaway goal and think that we were cruising.
But Sweden threatened a few times in injury time. Hence the post “now hang on for the win”.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

I am thinking of jumping on the u21 bandwagon for the Italy game, does anyone know if it is free parking for the Ireland games as it is for the shamrock matches?
No free parking

I presume it was a typo on the fixture list that came out with the season tickets that the game v Italy is on in the aviva

Sky sports website says its in aviva, for what its worth
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
lads what do we have to do to get to the finals? never took too much notice of the u21's until Kenny took over. Top the group, top 2 what do we need to achieve?
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
So Mick is talking about leaving the lads in the U21's instead of calling them up.
Mick is basically in the job until March or June.
It would be great for the U21's to do well but I don't expect them to stay there for another 2 years until the tournament.
Kenny would probably promote them to the senior team anyway.  
The dark side.. And the light
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

lads what do we have to do to get to the finals? never took too much notice of the u21's until Kenny took over. Top the group, top 2 what do we need to achieve?

Only group winner as far I know. 
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

9 group winners + the best runner up qualify automatically. Other 8 runners up go into playoffs.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Spurs fans all want him to play, say its only a matter of time. 
So who do we drop?

Kane?

Son?

Ali?
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

9 group winners + the best runner up qualify automatically. Other 8 runners up go into playoffs.

right so im taking for granted the italians will be decent, wonder how good are the icelandic side. 3 of us fighting for those two spots probably. you would have to fancy us for a top two finish.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:54am

I am thinking of jumping on the u21 bandwagon for the Italy game, does anyone know if it is free parking for the Ireland games as it is for the shamrock matches?
No free parking

Went to the Armenia game and it cost 2 euro to park in the Square and five euro for a ticket. 

Should easily get 7,000 for Italy game. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

No free parking

Went to the Armenia game and it cost 2 euro to park in the Square and five euro for a ticket. 

When is the Italian game? 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

No free parking

October 10. Iceland away on the 15th.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:03pm

No free parking

Thursday the 10th of October, unfortunately when a lot are flying out to Georgia. Pity it wasn't a day earlier
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So who do we drop?

Kane?

Son?

Ali?

I assume the Spurs fans of whom Deane speaks are mostly talking about the upcoming league cup game, rather than PL games. Plus Son is only back from injury and it might have been before that they were calling for him to play.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

So Mick is talking about leaving the lads in the U21's instead of calling them up.
Mick is basically in the job until March or June.
It would be great for the U21's to do well but I don't expect them to stay there for another 2 years until the tournament.
Kenny would probably promote them to the senior team anyway.  

I can see Mick's point. Why break up a winning u21 team just for the hell of it? It might be better to leave those guys where they are and hope the senior team qualifies anyway. If we do qualify for the Euros, a couple of the young lads will definitely make the senior squad next summer.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So who do we drop?

Kane?

Son?

Ali?

I assume the Spurs fans of whom Deane speaks are mostly talking about the upcoming league cup game, rather than PL games. Plus Son is only back from injury and it might have been before that they were calling for him to play.

Fair enough.

But that shouldn't disguise the fact that had Poch been able to sign a decent striker who was prepared to be back-up to Kane for a bit, Troy would have been further down the ladder, indeed probably out on loan by now.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:04pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

What. A. Header.

Now hang on for the win.

This gave me a laugh. Not saying you're wrong by the way, as I probably would have thought the same. But it's so refreshing to see 4 players breaking free in injury time and the team to get another goal, instead of sitting on the edge of the box trying to keep the other team out.

Mick is dead right about leaving the players where they are. Fantastic opportunity for them to qualify for the first time, and realistically, throwing them in to do-or-die games in which qualification for what is effectively a home tournament for us might hinder their development.

The best part about watching this team, aside from the technical ability, is the team spirit that seems to be within the squad. They all seem to love playing for the jersey.

Sweden attacked our goal straight after we had taken the lead and  before I posted that. There was 5 mins of injury time.
Its easy to watch a clip on twitter of Parrott scoring a breakaway goal and think that we were cruising.
But Sweden threatened a few times in injury time. Hence the post “now hang on for the win”.

Hence why I said "breaking free". I wasn't criticising your post.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
This display against a decent Sweden u21 side was as good a performance as I’ve seen from any Irish team in a long time. Hopefully the lads can continue to progress at club level and crucially get some more 1st team opportunities. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Seems odd considering the hype around the lad. Obviously it worked out, but still....

Being a manager involves picking a team based on who you are playing, the tactics you want to employ etc. It isn't like playing fantasy football where you just pick a load of individuals otherwise every poster on here would be an "expert" !

ClapClap A lot of people on here don’t seem to understand this 

Funnily enough, I don’t think a lot of managers understand that either. 

Enough Kenny love on this thread, but he is constantly talking about the balance and mix of the team and squad. It’s refreshing.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 103>
  Share Topic