Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 735>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

Got Longford Town, promoted, to a cup final and to the UEFA Cup. Longford!

Smashing job at Derry and Bohs, shafted by Rovers and took Fundalk from relegation battles to the team they are today. 

Not disputing his quality. 
I'm pointing out that in three high profile jobs, it didn't work out.
There is a bit of a step up from Division One to International football.
Yes, get him involved but not as manager yet 
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Hans - who would you have as our manager?

Not McCarthy, thats for sure. A manager who has been there, and imo whose time is well and truly over. A championship team in England wouldn't pay McCarthy half of what we are supposedly offering him, if offering him any job at all in future (which I highly doubt).

There are literally endless people that we could attract if we are willing to pay anywhere near the reported 1.2m salary being offered. We managed to get Trapatoni, one of the all time great managers for a bit more money. Now I'm not saying, go down that experienced manager route, but if you did there are endless options out there better than McCarthy (I guess the Irish players might not know some of them though, and are familiar with McCarthy as that farcical argument goes. Actually anyone using that should just be banned in the media - Kilbane etc).

If you were going down the up and coming manager route, again there are countless options if we are offering 1.2m a year. I really don't think people get it. It comes down to salary and we are offering a serious wedge that discounts few candidates. How the f*ck we are ending up with McCarthy from a football perspective I'll never know. It's genuinely shocking.

The likes of Kenny should be miles ahead of McCarthy on any list. The problem is there was never a list made up. This job was McCarthys the minute MON was fired, and I believe probably got wind of it being his job after being sounded out by the FAI weeks ago.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Your talking about games from over 20 years ago. And it was those results and performances that cost McCarthy his job.

We could look no further than Kenny's recent EL game when they were mauled 4-0 at home?

There are pros and cons for every manager to be honest.

Why does everyone keep saying that I'm talking about games from 20 years ago while themselves highlighting non stop Irelands form in the '02 campaign? Jaysus LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Kenny had never managed near the required level and was sacked from Rovers, Bohs and Dunfermline.

Bar the top 4/5 managers in the world, every manager gets sacked. 

Fair point.
But the one time he went outside the LOI, it didn't work.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:17pm
Just playing devil's advocate here, but look at the CV of the man who took Croatia to a World Cup final. I think it is a part of our obsession with English football that we undermine Kenny's achievements.
Any other small country in Europe and taking a team from semi-professionalism to the group stages of European competition and he would have been the standout candidate. Graham Potter, whose achievements I felt were slightly better, got a decent job off the back of his exploits.
As I said, I'm not sure I would have wanted Kenny to get it, but not for the reasons being given.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Not McCarthy, thats for sure. A manager who has been there, and imo whose time is well and truly over. A championship team in England wouldn't pay McCarthy half of what we are supposedly offering him, if offering him any job at all in future (which I highly doubt).

There are literally endless people that we could attract if we are willing to pay anywhere near the reported 1.2m salary being offered. We managed to get Trapatoni, one of the all time great managers for a bit more money. Now I'm not saying, go down that experienced manager route, but if you did there are endless options out there better than McCarthy (I guess the Irish players might not know some of them though, and are familiar with McCarthy as that farcical argument goes. Actually anyone using that should just be banned in the media - Kilbane etc).

If you were going down the up and coming manager route, again there are countless options if we are offering 1.2m a year. I really don't think people get it. It comes down to salary and we are offering a serious wedge that discounts few candidates. How the f*ck we are ending up with McCarthy from a football perspective I'll never know. It's genuinely shocking.

The likes of Kenny should be miles ahead of McCarthy on any list. The problem is there was never a list made up. This job was McCarthys the minute MON was fired, and I believe probably got wind of it being his job after being sounded out by the FAI weeks ago.

The reason we have McCarthy is because he is a quick and easy apointment that might work and will keep the pressure off Delaney. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm

Surely you should give him a chance before judging him a failure? Ok he is not a top manager, more of a steady Eddie. Ok he is not the most attractive name, but he has been there and done it. Ok he was sacked at Wolves, Sunderland and Ipswich- those teams are ones that have always been yo-yo type clubs. Look at Ipswich now, his most recent job. They thought they were better than him, I would guess they dont feel like that now. Either Kenny or Mick would have been a good choice. Kenny a lot riskier due to the step up. He is only 47 though so his time will come. I have to laugh at those saying we should just write off the euro qualifying and let Kenny build. Every competition is huge to us and none should be written off. We dont qualify for many. I just feel someone like Kenny needs to come in when we are a bit more stable. Then he can have a foundation of hopefully a solid and organised team to add to it and impose his philosophy. If he gets the under 21 gig(he will take it if offered enough) he will have the chance to do that at underage level then move up in a few years with boys well used to his philosophy ready to step up.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
I was in favour of Kenny getting the job despite having some misgivings over his time in charge at Rovers. It seems to me that he has learned from errors he made in the past and used those experiences to his advantage. I don't accept for one minute that some players will not respect him, a lot of the squad played in the LOI and know of his quality. Those who are unfamiliar with him will learn quick enough what he's made of. International football is different from club football where you can move between clubs if you don't get on with a manager. If a player wants to play for his country he is really at the mercy of the manager and must confirm to the managers demands ( as we have seen recently ). I remember Micks final game in his previous time in the job and the atmosphere at LR that might was the most toxic i ever remember. He was openly lambasted from all sections of the crowd, although Saipan was still recent and had an effect on things that night. Mick totally lost it that night going for a win when a draw would have been ok before ultimately losing. Mick need to hit the ground running or the knives will be out for him too. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
Lets be realistic here, Kenny will never manage Ireland so long as the current decision makers remain in place. They've shown over the past 12 years that all they care about is the quick fix, and when that's your outlook, you'll always find some reason to say that it's not the right time to make a genuine change that will have an adjustment period...
We're decent enough..
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:38pm
Kenny wont take the u-21 job..unfortunately he'll never get the job, this is his highest point and as for ' when Ireland are stable, that will never happen no football team are ever stable... .1.2m is a lot for mick...I definitely think we could've got a bigger name but its the FAI and its all about qualification...and money
Come on Irelind
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:42pm
if kenny still gets the chance to take over the u21s then he would be mad not to take it. Huge loss to the league but it would be a great oppurtunity for him. Few good players coming through at underage and if he did a good job then he would be a contender for the next senior job when it comes round. This notion that its beneath him is mental. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

if kenny still gets the chance to take over the u21s then he would be mad not to take it. Huge loss to the league but it would be a great oppurtunity for him. Few good players coming through at underage and if he did a good job then he would be a contender for the next senior job when it comes round. This notion that its beneath him is mental. 

He's vastly over qualified for the U-21's, the suggestion he should take it is insulting. The suggestions that he should be integrated into the senior set-up are even more bizarre, why on earth would anyone think that either him or Mick would be up for that? It's makes precisely no sense for either of them.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's vastly over qualified for the U-21's, the suggestion he should take it is insulting. The suggestions that he should be integrated into the senior set-up are even more bizarre, why on earth would anyone think that either him or Mick would be up for that? It's makes precisely no sense for either of them.
I couldn't agree more. It is bizarrely out of touch with reality and incredibly condescending.

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm

How in Gods name would it be insulting. Its the 2nd biggest job in the land. Get real. Would anyone have considered southgate for the england job if he wasnt already in the system as u21 boss. No
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:58pm

How is Kenny vastly over qualified for the under 21 job? People are losing the run of themselves over Kenny- I would also say to many on here, for all his success I don't see many chasing him from bigger leagues. You are talking as if he is managing in a top league having huge success. Peoole need a reality check here 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:00pm
The fact the league is sh*te is what makes his achievements in Europe so great.
As I said, any other similar sized football nation and he would be the standout choice.

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Nov 2018 at 2:01pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm

You have not answered my question.

We know you hate McCarthy.

Give me 3 realistic names? 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The fact the league is sh*te is what makes his achievements in Europe so great.
As I said, any other similar sized football nation and he would be the standout choice.

What he alchieved with Dundalk in Europe was sensational. He also had an incredible run with Derry City in 2006  in the UEFA cup which ended with a two leg defeat to PSG. He also beat Aberdeen with Bohs in the UEFA cup. Pat Fenlon however did something quite similar with Shels. A 4-0 win over a good Deportivo team as well. He qualified for the UEFA cup proper. I actually think Fenlon and Kenny are the best comparison but everyone seems to be making the comparison with Michael O'Neil. Fenlon did well at Shelbourne and Bohs and decent at Shamrock. Failed at Derry and Hibs. Kenny did well at Bohs, Derry and Dundalk. Failed at Dunfermline and Shamrock. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 735>
  Share Topic