You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
Yeah, seems he played 17's and 19's and it was a good few years (until he was around 25) when he made his senior debut, as he rose up the leagues.
He's had some tragedy in his life too so I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He's a good re-addition to our squad.

I'd assume himself and Molumby will be behind McCarthy in the pecking order for one position, or we think two of them could be on the pitch together?  With Jeff?

All sortsa questions and the Sept NL games will be most interesting coming as they will so close to any start to the new season.

Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yeah, seems he played 17's and 19's and it was a good few years (until he was around 25) when he made his senior debut, as he rose up the leagues.
He's had some tragedy in his life too so I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He's a good re-addition to our squad.

I'd assume himself and Molumby will be behind McCarthy in the pecking order for one position, or we think two of them could be on the pitch together?  With Jeff?

All sortsa questions and the Sept NL games will be most interesting coming as they will so close to any start to the new season.

I would have put Arter in the same bracket as Molumby and Hendrick. What none of them are, are sitting midfielders. James McCarthy will probably be number 1 choice to sit, followed by Josh Cullen. Realistically, they are the only 2 natural sitters we have. You could shoe horn in others but Kenny seems like the type of manager who wants his best players in their best position. 

Add in Browne & Hourihane and suddenly you have well stacked option for that 2nd centre mid role. Based on the best players in their best position mantra, none of those midfielders mentioned will fit the bill as a number 10 (which Kenny will play).

McGoldrick as a number 10? Jack Byrne, Connor Ronan. Realistically, they're the only options. Brady isn't a number 10, nor O'Dowda. Will Smallbone an outside chance if he lights up the Premiership over next couple of months.

Will be interesting to see who comes to prominence over next while. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:25pm
He’s lighting a fire under the incumbents in Hendrick and Hourihane. Pretty clear message that he welcomes competition. 

He’s right too. Arter especially could thrive under Kenny. He’s got the brain to rotate in that midfield three as he has previously asked of the U21s
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:27pm
I'd say if we were playing tomorrow that McG would be the #10 with A.N. Other as a striker.

Smallbone on the bench tonight but should certainly see gametime between now and the end of the season but it's a very short window to go from U19 player to our senior 11, even if we don't have many options in that position.

Byrne the only real choice then as Ronan is nowhere with his loan spell ended and has never been near the senior squad anyway (he has excelled in the 21's for sure).

V. interesting times ahead for our midfield and with Arter, McCarthy and Molumby (and Knight?...and Smallbone?) all likely in the next squad, the current crop will be looking over their shoulders.
Proper order.

Edited by Fozz - 19 Jun 2020 at 5:28pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:37pm
feel like Byrne could be making a move this summer just based on the fact that he’s probably pretty cheap and English clubs are going to be looking for cheap options with their budgets. Still not sure he’d be a starting player for the NT without going abroad. 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

feel like Byrne could be making a move this summer just based on the fact that he’s probably pretty cheap and English clubs are going to be looking for cheap options with their budgets. Still not sure he’d be a starting player for the NT without going abroad. 

If Kenny plays an LOI player in centre mid in our first game and loses, he'll be slaughtered by the people who think Mick was unfairly pushed out. He might play Byrne off the bench.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:09pm

Here's today's interview:

Seemed a bit nervous at the start probably didn’t want to say anything controversial but his passion for football in the country quite clear was very refreshing to hear his take.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Here's today's interview:

Seemed a bit nervous at the start probably didn’t want to say anything controversial but his passion for football in the country quite clear was very refreshing to hear his take.

Refreshing is the word. He can’t help himself with that comment re: 9 year gap between brady/Hendrick and connolly. This man is armed with the facts.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
I see he mentioned he probably isn't going to go with three at the back at least initially.
Should be sacked immediately.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:26pm
Confirms Arter and McCarthy are available.

Quite why Mick decided to marginalise those players, as well as Long, is hard to fathom.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Quite why Mick decided to marginalise those players, as well as Long, is hard to fathom.

Both Arter and McCarthy chose to step away.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Well that's wrong. Wierd that Harry Arter would be talking about playing for Ireland like this if he decided to step away ffs. We had a number of players who couldn't play their way out of the team no matter how badly they played, and a number of players who were not given a look in even though massively superior in ability to what was there. 

As for James McCarthy, very strange how Kenny was barely in the job a wet week before McCarthy was available again. Youd have to wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Mick - "If I rang them up and wanted them to play, they’d both be happy to come along. I said to Harry he wouldn’t be in the squad anyway, with the six midfielders I’ve got."

The absolute state of trying to intimate that Arter is worse than Cullen for example.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:15pm

That simply isn't true though, is it? Mick decided he wouldn't be picking them bar an emergency, that was his choice, not theirs.
We're decent enough..
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:31pm

Wee bit of football mccarthyism there! 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That simply isn't true though, is it? Mick decided he wouldn't be picking them bar an emergency, that was his choice, not theirs.

I'm fairly sure it was reported at the time in both cases.

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:41pm

Did you read that article before posting it? Going by Micks quote he’s told him the game has come too soon for him to start anyway. James McCarthy said at the time he was told he won’t be ahead of Whelan anyway and then opted to spend the international break with his father who was ill at the time.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Did you read that article before posting it? Going by Micks quote he’s told him the game has come too soon for him to start anyway. James McCarthy said at the time he was told he won’t be ahead of Whelan anyway and then opted to spend the international break with his father who was ill at the time.

Cheers for confirming my original statement. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 735>
  Share Topic