You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:17pm
Initially I don'lt expect to see many changes to the team. Whelan will drop out and the wing positions may be up for grabs. That may be about the height of it. The back 5 pick itself. McGoldrick will surely retain his place most likely with Hendrick playing in behind him. Molumby will probably get a chance. Will McCarthy come back into the squad? Debateable. I expect the team initially to look something like:

4-2-3-1 

Randolph
Coleman(C)
Duffy
Egan
Stevens

Molumby
Hourihane

Robinson
Hendrick
Brady

McGoldrick
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

delgado View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:57am
Kenny will discard nobody possibly apart from  whelan.
He has possibly 11 games in a short space of  time and possibly the finals  also .So allowing for injuries and loss of form he will need all the players. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:01pm
Troy Parrott has had his appendix out. Routine operation but will be out for a while and unavailable for selection. Mick McCarthy has recently expressed the view that he absolutely needs to go on loan to a club where he is going to play, given the obduracy of the Special One, but that will be put off again now.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Troy Parrott has had his appendix out. Routine operation but will be out for a while and unavailable for selection. Mick McCarthy has recently expressed the view that he absolutely needs to go on loan to a club where he is going to play, given the obduracy of the Special One, but that will be put off again now.

It's an appendix. He'll be back training by end of June, and might be in with a shout of some game time (5 subs) near the tail end of the season, which injured or not was always probably going be the likely outcome. 

Then out on loan seems highly likely. Fate has now opened the door for Troy potentially playing at the Euros next year. But he'll need to start banging in goals. He won't be content sitting on the bench at Spurs. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 6:02pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAwNiClguc

good interview with stephen, mentions mccarthy, arter, molumby, long and mcgoldrick
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAwNiClguc

good interview with stephen, mentions mccarthy, arter, molumby, long and mcgoldrick

Love the way he, unprovoked really, name dropped the lads.  Two of whom have been essentially exiled (self-imposed or otherwise).  While many have doubts over Arter, surely our squad is stronger with himself and McCarthy in there.
And no doubt Molumby will be straight into the squad.

The good times are coming!

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 7:17am
McCarthy, Arter and Molumby are all players who came back from nasty long term injuries and haven't let that affect their tackling. SK seemed eager to see the latter two in the Premiership next year , Arter of course has done well there before though he can be a bit of a loose cannon at times with red cards, etc. McCarthy at least would walk into the Ireland team, the other two may do depending on form. Shane Long has picked up another injury and is unlikely to play against Norwich tonight. SK also mentioned the good young forwards coming through ( though not by name ) whom he envisaged Mc Goldrick being a big help to.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
Surprised he mentioned Arter, considering his previous comments about players not wanting to play for us.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 9:53am
I think its a positive sign that he isn't discounting any player, especially those with PL experience.

We have a small enough pool of players to choose from as it is, no use  seeing our new manager holding grudges from previous regimes.

Clean slate needed for everyone Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I think its a positive sign that he isn't discounting any player, especially those with PL experience.

We have a small enough pool of players to choose from as it is, no use  seeing our new manager holding grudges from previous regimes.

Clean slate needed for everyone Thumbs Up

Exactly. It's putting the ball into their court rather than casting doubts on their commitment as the likes of O'Neill and Keane did. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Surprised he mentioned Arter, considering his previous comments about players not wanting to play for us.

Clearly he agrees with the view that the "Arter doesn't have any interest in playing for Ireland" brigade have been largely blowing out of their h*les for the last few years.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:28am
You mean he doesn't agree?

Well people can only judge players who have turned up and Arter hasn't.

Maybe Arter didn't want to play under O'Neill and Keane.

Personally, I'd prefer to bring in one of the younger players myself.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:34am
No, I mean he agrees. Read the post again. 

In any case, this is all old ground that has been gone over before. I'm just happy to see that Kenny isn't writing anyone off and reducing his pool of options, which some of our previous managers seemed all too happy to do.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:46am
If SK can bring McCarthy and Arter back into the fold, that can only be good for Ireland, both are proven performers at the top level. Different managers bring their own preferences and personalities. Mick brought back Whelan and McGoldrick , for instance, who were never going to play for Ireland again under the O'Neill / Keane regime and both did the business. Anybody's guess who all will drop out of the squad in the coming months to accommodate new faces though Whelan is likely to on age grounds.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:48am
In 1996 MM gave almost everybody a chance. Only a few players (Morris, McGoldrick, and Sheridan) weren’t capped by him, and that stood to us going forward during a major rebuild.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Clearly he agrees with the view that the "Arter doesn't have any interest in playing for Ireland" brigade have been largely blowing out of their h*les for the last few years.

None of us know Arter's attitude to previous managers. Why would Kenny snub any player based on internet opinions Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:27am
Kenny knows Harry loves The EIRE
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

None of us know Arter's attitude to previous managers. Why would Kenny snub any player based on internet opinions Confused

We're all on the outside looking in but over the years and given the amount of pull-outs from Arter, his commitment was at the very least somewhat questionable especially when you contrast him with other Irish players like Coleman and McClean who would swim over from England to play for us. 

Now we could all be wrong and all his pullouts over the years were for genuine reasons but his commitment was open to question imo.  

I want Arter in the squad and I'm delighted Kenny is starting off on a clean slate. It was a nice surprise that he mentioned Arter and I didn't realize he played for us at underage level tbh. It would be great to have a fit Arter and McCarthy in the Irish squad this year as it can only benefit the squad.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 735>
  Share Topic