You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 528529530531532 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:32pm
Our poor ranking in the Nations League means that, if we are lucky enough to scrape into the playoffs, it will be because most of the stronger teams have qualified automatically. If we end up with one of those group phases that contains a few surprises and leaves a few of the better teams missing the automatic spots, it will result in us being bumped out of the playoffs. So, for that reason, we are unlikely to see too many Serbia type teams in the playoffs if we get there. Iceland, Slovenia, Estonia and Austria would be more likely to be the kind of teams we would face, or maybe one slightly better side from League A, like the Czechs or Wales.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Our poor ranking in the Nations League means that, if we are lucky enough to scrape into the playoffs, it will be because most of the stronger teams have qualified automatically. If we end up with one of those group phases that contains a few surprises and leaves a few of the better teams missing the automatic spots, it will result in us being bumped out of the playoffs. So, for that reason, we are unlikely to see too many Serbia type teams in the playoffs if we get there. Iceland, Slovenia, Estonia and Austria would be more likely to be the kind of teams we would face, or maybe one slightly better side from League A, like the Czechs or Wales.

Yep, I'm not sure, but having attempted to get my head around the very convoluted process - Am I right in thinking if more than 2 teams ranked below us qualify automatically, we will miss out?
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:13pm
Correct.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:23pm
From the last WC qualifiers Sweden, Turkey, and North Macedonia finished second though Sweden and Turkey were second seeds I believe. Could see Georgia being a surprise package and pulling off what North Macedonia did. Khvicha Kvaratskhelia is gonna be a cracking player for them.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Correct.

Probably unlikely, i dont really fancy any of the teams below us in Pot 3, except maybe Sweden and Pot 4 teams will find it difficult without a kind draw, although teams like Turkey and Greece could upset the applecart. I could see max 2 below us doing it, I think 3 is unlikely.
Idah Dream!
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yeah my point was it’s pretty likely we will get to the playoff and Redman was saying that because of Kenny and our performance in NL that we would not make the playoffs.  

Impossible to say whether we would get through or not. 

I never said we will not get to a playoff. If you re-read my posts you will see I said it is unlikely we will get to Euro 2024. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 1:18pm
Goals scored and conceded by Stephen Kenny's team in competitive games

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

But Kenny’s style of play isn’t working the goals we conceded against Armenia is because of the way Kenny asks the team to play.
This was against an Armenian side that hadn’t scored away from home all campaign.

Yes it looks nice but we are not good enough at it!!

We also scored the most goals against them at home than anyone else in the group. Did you overlook that fact or what?

If he had a more reliable keeper in goal, then the chances are we wouldn't have conceded 4 goals last week. He conceded another 2 for his club at the weekend. His lack of ability to keep the ball out of the net is killing Kenny, because if he can't keep clean sheets, we drop points and lose games. Then it's Kenny who bears all the responsibility. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

But Kenny’s style of play isn’t working the goals we conceded against Armenia is because of the way Kenny asks the team to play.
This was against an Armenian side that hadn’t scored away from home all campaign.

We also scored the most goals against them at home than anyone else in the group. Did you overlook that fact or what?

If he had a more reliable keeper in goal, then the chances are we wouldn't have conceded 4 goals last week. He conceded another 2 for his club at the weekend. His lack of ability to keep the ball out of the net is killing Kenny, because if he can't keep clean sheets, we drop points and lose games. Then it's Kenny who bears all the responsibility. 

Hot take Smile
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I didn’t over look it as Ukraine also scored 3 goals against them.

If you are going to try and points score on technicalities you may as well do it correctly.

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 9:41pm
Well I doubt the Ukrainian press and pundits were calling for the Manager's head for only scoring 3 goals against them, as ours were. 
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Look we will hammer this lot tonight by at least 3 goals .

I do understand playing modern football is now the norm but the name of the game is winning , very simple . 

And the name of this game is another win, after scoring 3 goals, that simple.

Still wasn't good enough for you. 

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Michael O'Neill gets a tune out of this group

And decent coach would have us very solid at a minimum.  That goes along way.

He got as far as 1 win in 2 years. His other highlights are losing to Luxembourg and 6-0 in Holland.

No thanks. 

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Been saying this from the start and maintain it; it's embarrassing. And he's building a rod for his own back when we blow a two goal lead in those circumstances.

So what, we won. And it still wasn't good enough to satisfy the "it's a results game" crowd. What's embarrassing is that people are embarrassed about celebrating a last minute winner at home. What are we supposed to do? Ring Joe Duffy?

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

It portays a message that its a miracle we have scored rather than an expected event.  Against Armenia or Some other piss poor team.  Looks amateurish.  Celebrate with a smile and a clap or self controlled foat pump agaimst these poor sides. Dont be running into and hugging everyone on your managemwnt team. 

The fans were embarrassing. Singing his name and going crazy when we scored the pen. Small time.

I'm sure most neutrals don't care how he celebrates. We shouldn't care either. If you want us to be slumped in our seats when we've scored a last minute winner, then expect to be disappointed.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:52am
Kennys exclusive interview on OTB yesterday is worth a listen. While Kenny is as usual a difficult listen at times, he's honest and it's a pretty good summation of where we are at and how he views things going into the qualifiers.
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 11:38am
Any sign of a new coach? 

Stephen Kenny and Keef Andrews are  The Coachbusters
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:31pm
His talent ID for coaches is certainly high.

Anthony Barry at Belgium/Chelsea and John Eustace at Birmingham City.

Birmingham fans seems to be delighted with their recent displays. 14 points from 21 since Sept.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 1:58pm
Good recruiter, poor retainer.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

His talent ID for coaches is certainly high.

Anthony Barry at Belgium/Chelsea and John Eustace at Birmingham City.

Birmingham fans seems to be delighted with their recent displays. 14 points from 21 since Sept.

Duffer and Higgins in the FAI Cup final too. Shels well safe and Derry still in the title race.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I would assume that retention is down to remuneration/ambition, neither of which Kenny has any control over tbf, unless of course one is simply looking for something further to criticise Kenny's tenure.
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I would assume that retention is down to remuneration/ambition, neither of which Kenny has any control over tbf, unless of course one is simply looking for something further to criticise Kenny's tenure.

Yeah absolute nonsense..must be a wind up...what is he supposed to do? lock them in a cellar?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 528529530531532 735>
  Share Topic