Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 524525526527528 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

One area where Kenny can immediately improve is being more conservative with what he is saying in the media. 
He is asking for trouble by saying things like "we should be going to win the group" and "the performance was exceptional". Even though I'm sure it's well intended in terms of trying to be positive, he is leaving himself open to critics. I

The area he needs to improve most is his in game management.

The media stuff is a load of sh*te, if people want to criticise him they'll do so regardless of what he says. You can slice someone's words any way you want - he was criticised for saying he wanted to win the group because supposedly that "put the team under pressure"; but the exact same posters would be bollicking him if he'd dampened expectations by saying he lacked ambition/didn't instill belief/etc.

The reality is this, about 75% of people support Kenny, yet it's the 25% who don't that have been making the most noise. They scream and b*tch and moan and they will continue to do so for as long as he is manager. The whole thing has become ideological rather than rational, most people will never change their minds.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:25pm
True LOL

To be honest it's the same with all the managers we have! 
There is never a complete love-in.
Maybe once, Stan just after we beat Sweden 3-0 in his first game 

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Sep 2022 at 6:27pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How did the Big Sam v Kenny dichotomy come about?

Is it just a figment of the imagination that this is the alternative?

The kennyites believe its either Kenny or sam. Its there of justifying Kenny.
Incidentally,  whod be more in demand by a club??????

I’m just not a fan of this strawman that creates a Hobson’s choice, that doesn’t exist. It’s been dreamt up that the next manager is automatically somebody who will go back to long punts and backs to the wall defence. And that is with the hindsight that that strategy started to deteriorate rapidly after the Danes hammered us in 2017. At a certain point we actually started getting beaten, and on occasions, badly. It was a sign of the decline of the players from when Trapp had an obvious spine, to now when we have no obvious top class players or even automatic leaders.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Before a ball was kicked in this group, Ukraine and Scotland were expected to finish above us as they are currently better teams to us.
Er, before a ball was kicked, Ukraine were expecting to play all their home games actually in Ukraine and in front of full houses etc, while selecting players from clubs who weren't also suspended from playing.

Confused

Wtf has your churlish reply got to do with the (partial) bit you quoted from my post? I only stated the obvious that Ukraine and Scotland were better than us and expected to finish ahead of us before the group started. 

Edited by irishmufc - 28 Sep 2022 at 7:42pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:45pm

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

How did the Big Sam v Kenny dichotomy come about?

Is it just a figment of the imagination that this is the alternative?

The kennyites believe its either Kenny or sam. Its there of justifying Kenny.
Incidentally,  whod be more in demand by a club??????

I’m just not a fan of this strawman that creates a Hobson’s choice, that doesn’t exist. It’s been dreamt up that the next manager is automatically somebody who will go back to long punts and backs to the wall defence. And that is with the hindsight that that strategy started to deteriorate rapidly after the Danes hammered us in 2017. At a certain point we actually started getting beaten, and on occasions, badly. It was a sign of the decline of the players from when Trapp had an obvious spine, to now when we have no obvious top class players or even automatic leaders.

The long ball punt as the only tactic has been less and less effective for the past 25 years -it’s the law of diminishing returns 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:25pm
Jack's "put em' under pressure", aggressive philosophy had far more nuances than simply the "long ball punt".  

Let's once and for all put to bed the moronic notion that if it's not Kenny, his replacement will be the proverbial "dinosaur". It will not be.  Though in fairness, velociraptors and triceratops are pretty freaking cool.  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

Jack's "put em' under pressure", aggressive philosophy had far more nuances than simply the "long ball punt".  

Let's once and for all put to bed the moronic notion that if it's not Kenny, his replacement will be the proverbial "dinosaur". It will not be.  Though in fairness, velociraptors and triceratops are pretty freaking cool.  

Without the ball we were the best in the world and many teams now adopt that tactic.  

With the the ball well we were zero risk and only played in the last third.  We had great players too. That style is now redundant for many reasons.  Back pass rule, clamp down on aggressive tackling meaning possession is easier to keep and harder to get off a team, giving the ball away or turning ever tackle into a 50/50 risks not seeing the ball for ages or giving away frees and yellow cards.  VAR has only made that worse.  The blueprint for any modern Irish side for me is our performance in Hannover in 88 against USSR when we had Whelan and Sheedy as centre mids and actually played more football as McGrath was not there in midfield.  McGrath was our greatest ever player but sheedy and Whelan was a more stylish centre mid pairing.  It helps to have some world class players winning European cups and cup winners cups and leagues and fa cups. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 12:04am
Absolutely, Baldy, and nice elaboration.  I sometimes feel that with our new style, a bit of our national team's identity is being lost. For as long as I can remember, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, etc., have played a fairly consistent style of football.  You knew what to expect when those teams took the field.  The same was true with Ireland.  You had a spirited team that was defensively sound and difficult to break down.  A team that would not get out worked, and would fight to the bitter end.  An underdog team that was easy to get behind because they would often punch above their weight.
 I'm honestly not sure what our identity is now. To be fair, the team started to lose a bit of it's identity before Kenny took over.  It's a classic case of something gained, but something lost in the process.  While we admittedly needed to progress in certain areas, we cannot do so at the expense of those qualities that made our national team special. That's my biggest concern.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 12:13am
No reason we cannot keep a lot of that identity and believe in ourselves to play a bit more positively. Take molumby for example and James McClean. They still have that fight but last few games they are also playing quite well technically. 

It's not tippy tappy from Kenny's Ireland, it's basic stuff, players showing for the ball, passing and moving, having a good shape, knowing your role, doing the right thing at the right time (this is my biggest concern).

The big problem with last 3 managers was the defense and midfield were very flat 4-4-2 and the centre mids were not showing for the ball. This meant we often just kicked it rather aimlessly towards the forwards and then we didn't have the midfielders chasing the loose balls either really, unless we went 1-0 behind and then started to go for it. 
Under Trap we kind of still had Duff and McGeady so we were able to get some success up the wings. but then they started winding down we really went to a situation of nearly relying on set pieces for goals as it didn't look like they would come from anywhere else. 

Now I know it is still true that a lot of our goals come from set pieces (as is true in football in general) but we are not completely relying on them. We are getting some from open play

Edited by t_rAndy - 29 Sep 2022 at 12:18am
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 1:33am
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Ex-manager of Dundalk and Dunfermline in small mentality shocker. He probably wakes up every day, looks in the mirror and bursts into laughter at the fact he’s somehow come this far.

That’s exactly it though. He knows he’s lucky to be in the job and I honestly don’t know how he’s still there. If he was 28 games into a job at club level he’d be gone already. Some managers that are spoofers can look the part and talk their way around things. This fella with his smug grin just looks every inch a moron. 

Anyone saying he’s bringing the squad forward is only lying to themselves. The LOI fan boys have to be wising up at this stage, I know the majority of his backers are Friday night merchants but come off it, it’s car crash stuff we’re witnessing each game.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Confused Confused Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:16am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

"I'm a big supporter of the team, unless I can't get a baby sitter, or plan time off for a fixture that was announced about a year ago, or its against a team who I don't consider worthy of my attendance. I'll see you for the top seed game next year though"

What a load of utter, utter sh*te. 
MisterX View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:05am
Scored 8 goals in our last 4 games with 6 of these goals at home in the Aviva. 6 HOME GOALS, SIX!!! Be A long time going back to see when that's happened previously. 

Are there better managers out there than Kenny, yes, but you can't deny the fact we're trying to play ball and give youth a chance, added to the fact some of the more experienced players haven't been at the races in years. It's a squad in transition.

A few bad blips along the way, no worse than previous management, but it's far more entertaining to watch us try to play ball, than sit in and defend hoping Duffy scores a header.

I really hope he does well in the euro qualifying and silences the critics because the majority of the fan base is behind him 

And once again, Monk's played it to Trojan, who's again switched to the left Bob.
- He must be ambidextrous, Bob.
I don't know about that, Bob. But he certainly can use both feet.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Ex-manager of Dundalk and Dunfermline in small mentality shocker. He probably wakes up every day, looks in the mirror and bursts into laughter at the fact he’s somehow come this far.

That’s exactly it though. He knows he’s lucky to be in the job and I honestly don’t know how he’s still there. If he was 28 games into a job at club level he’d be gone already. Some managers that are spoofers can look the part and talk their way around things. This fella with his smug grin just looks every inch a moron. 

Anyone saying he’s bringing the squad forward is only lying to themselves. The LOI fan boys have to be wising up at this stage, I know the majority of his backers are Friday night merchants but come off it, it’s car crash stuff we’re witnessing each game.

Reading these posts second time around is far worse Dead
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:10am
What is a Friday night merchant?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:29am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

What is a Friday night merchant?
A league of Ireland fan. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:37am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Reading these posts second time around is far worse Dead

The West Brit mentally many Irish football fans have (it pre-dates Kenny btw) is baffling. The playstation/netflix irish football fan is by a distance the most stupid though. Look at Anfield Agenda on social media for proof.

What's most nonsensical about these comments is that there is much valid criticism that can be leveld against Kenny, but saying he hasn't brought forward the squad certainly isn't one of them. 7 of the starting 11 in Scotland I think was with him at under 21 level (5 are still eligible). He's brought through younger players quicker than any of his predecessors. Now ultimately will he be the one who reaps the reward of this? We'll know I 6 months time. If not, well the next manager will be in a much stronger position than Kenny was when he took over 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:43am
LOI fanboys LOL

Friday night merchants LOL
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

LOI fanboys LOL

Friday night merchants LOL

New range of YBIG t-shirts with ‘Friday Night Merchant’ written on them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 524525526527528 735>
  Share Topic