You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 509510511512513 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:37pm
The football we are playing is much better on the eye. Even in defeat you are thinking, that was a good auld game.

Unfortunately, looking at the table there is not really any progress from the Mon or Mccarthy days. We are 3rd in qualifying groups and third in nations league a long way off winning them. Kind of stuck even though, as said, the football is better to watch.

Kind of does feel we get no rub of the green at all under Kenny. It's kind of like we won't get anything we don't fully earn, I.e. we won't sneak a win or draw we shouldn't have.
Sponsored Links

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

We are in very sticky territory here the performances have improved but the results have not.

Kenny has had time no doubt are some of the improvements down to him no doubt but similarly he has been responsible for the poor results also.

Do you stick or twist.

If the FAI were any good they would be aware of who they could potentially get in if they were to twist and way up
their options come the new year.

Personally I would twist. I can't see Kenny getting consistent results. We are consistent at being inconsistent. The end of the last qualifying campaign had us full of high hopes. This has been a poor campaign with some decent performances again giving us some hope. I don't think its enough though. It's a results business. Some guys might be happy we played well. I don't be. I be gutted we lost. And we have lost too many games.

I see both arguments tbh but my main worry is the dropping of points against lower seeds . I would still leave him in charge as we’re straight into qualifiers after nations league. I’m not confident but i would leave him for euros qualifiers 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

We are in very sticky territory here the performances have improved but the results have not.

Kenny has had time no doubt are some of the improvements down to him no doubt but similarly he has been responsible for the poor results also.

Do you stick or twist.

If the FAI were any good they would be aware of who they could potentially get in if they were to twist and way up
their options come the new year.

Personally I would twist. I can't see Kenny getting consistent results. We are consistent at being inconsistent. The end of the last qualifying campaign had us full of high hopes. This has been a poor campaign with some decent performances again giving us some hope. I don't think its enough though. It's a results business. Some guys might be happy we played well. I don't be. I be gutted we lost. And we have lost too many games.

I see both arguments tbh but my main worry is the dropping of points against lower seeds . I would still leave him in charge as we’re straight into qualifiers after nations league. I’m not confident but i would leave him for euros qualifiers 

I've been ardently pro Kenny since he's been appointed, for a number of reasons. But it now boils down to he either qualifies for the Euros or he's gone. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:49pm
Look the euros is the be all and end all here. If we fail to qualify he's gone. If it starts disastrously, he could be in massive danger.

Personally think it would be mental to let him go at this stage. For me, clear improvements are visible. Results, sadly, lacking at this moment in time. 

Parrott scores a sitter tonight, we're having a very different conversation. Small margins 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:50pm
On paper, we are the third best team in the group and should be finishing the group with 10 points rather than a possible 7. Could have beaten Scotland away and Ukraine away - we were competitive in all games and played some lovely football. 

Prefer to play football the right way as Brian Clough used to say. 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:55pm
I like Kenny as a person, I think his heart is in the right place but, regardless, if we haven’t 4-6 points, minimum, from our first three qualifiers he should walk 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:57pm
Kenny has us playing above the sum of our parts at present. I’m talking playing style wise and how good it is to watch, not results wise yet. When you consider it’s basically a championship team, with 2 EPL regulars, 1 EPL squad player and a couple from league 1.
There’s been a lot of improvement in the last year 

At some point the results have to improve though. 
I’m confident that they will

His job being under threat shouldn’t even be being discussed after tonight 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:10am
Euro 24 is what it’s all about. I can’t see any other manager who would come in and make us that much better. Very little in it tonight away to a team who beat the top dogs a few days ago. As someone said, Parrott scored a sitter and we win the game. Euro qualifiers not til March so another 6 months club football for players to improve. We’ll be in Germany causing an upset!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:18am
We're going to be 3rd seeds for the Euros qualifiers and in a possible group with seeds 1 and 2 been the likes of Belgium and England

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

We're going to be 3rd seeds for the Euros qualifiers and in a possible group with seeds 1 and 2 been the likes of Belgium and England

Or we could get Hungary from pot 1 and Austria from pot 2, what's with the negativity?
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Kenny has us playing above the sum of our parts at present. I’m talking playing style wise and how good it is to watch, not results wise yet. When you consider it’s basically a championship team, with 2 EPL regulars, 1 EPL squad player and a couple from league 1.
There’s been a lot of improvement in the last year 

At some point the results have to improve though. 
I’m confident that they will

His job being under threat shouldn’t even be being discussed after tonight 

I agree, we are playing really good football with a gaggle of youngsters and Championship players. We are hopefully learning and improving all the time. Anybody who doesn't see at least some green shoots at this stage is a bit blinkered IMHO.
Idah Dream!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 4:37am
I want Kenny to stay on for the Euros but I wouldn't be expecting us to get to the Euros. Maybe a lucky draw from pot 1 and 2 and we will. 

If I had to put a bet on it, it would be to finish 3rd.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:49am
Flatters to deceive.  Played well but at the end of the day the table reads played 5, Won 1, Lost 3
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:59am
Kenny has done a brilliant job with us, we’re playing football for the first time in 20 years with the worst squad for over 40 years. Most Ireland fans are deluded and think we have some sort of divine right to qualify for tournaments, we don’t, we no longer have the squad of 2002 or even 2010.

Top players in the 3 squads

Scotland - McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, McGregor, Che Adams, Armstrong, Hickey, Christie, Mctominay, Gilmour 

Ukraine - Zinchenko, Mudryk, Yaremchuk, Yarmolenko, Tsygankov, Bondar, Mykolenko, Malinovsky

Ireland - Collins, Bazunu
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:03am
So the old " we do have the players but Mick/MON wont let them play" has now changed to the "we dont have the players"

The team was worse under Mick in 2019 and he had us in contention.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So the old " we do have the players but Mick/MON wont let them play" has now changed to the "we dont have the players"

The team was worse under Mick in 2019 and he had us in contention.

While being simplistic it’s the nail on the head.

Some lads are convinced if we play the beautiful game it’s all that matters to hell if we get beat.

Results are the be all and end all in sport it’s why you play it especially at the top level.

If you want to be entertained go watch the Harlem Globe trotters 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
Of course it's also results. It's great we are playing better and actually outplaying good sides at different times.  

If we fail to qualify or even fall out of contention early then it will be a case of thanks, but we need to try something differently. I think we are in a better place now than the end of MoN and Mccarthy. Kenny deserves a lot of credit as he has put faith in youth

Edited by t_rAndy - 25 Sep 2022 at 10:26am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
Personally I was sick of not looking forward to Ireland games.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 509510511512513 735>
  Share Topic