Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 506507508509510 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Former SF politician Elisha McCallion's son Daithí McCallion has been called up to the NI u19 squad. Thought this was a little odd. All things considered.

There are quite a few Irish first names in that squad - Daithi, Darragh, Ordhan, Eoin, Sean and another few surnames of lads without Irish names that you could say are Irish - Doherty, Brennan, Scannell, Donnelly, Barr. That's 10. 

There are enough lads who view that side as a means to play internationally, I don't think there is any denying that. We obviously have had that experience with a certain amount of English born players over the years too. 

The vast majority of the names would suggest the players are from CNR backgrounds - you could add the likes of Jordan, Mccann,and Pierce to that list. Probably fair to assume the goalkeeper McClean from Celtic is as well.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:03pm

Former SF politician Elisha McCallion's son Daithí McCallion has been called up to the NI u19 squad. Thought this was a little odd. All things considered.

DMcC has been part of the IFA's Club NI Elite programme since 2017 (at least), when he was at Tristar, and played regularly for NI's U17's before stepping up tp the U19's.

And as you can see below, his parents have been very supportive, eg Elisha tweeting "Very proud":
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

DMcC has been part of the IFA's Club NI Elite programme since 2017 (at least), when he was at Tristar, and played regularly for NI's U17's before stepping up tp the U19's.

And as you can see below, his parents have been very supportive, eg Elisha tweeting "Very proud":

Good for him. I'm sure it was a great distraction to the family whilst their father/husband was serving his suspended sentence for an unprovoked assault on a husband and wife in their 50's. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 19 Jul 2022 at 7:07pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I presume the son is eligible through the mother seeing as Stephen Kenny was adopted.

Given his age he was probably born in Derry.

He was.

Edited by Territorial - 19 Jul 2022 at 7:16pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:56pm

Yeah she tweeted it, so that's how I found out about it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:57pm

Good for him. I'm sure it was a great distraction to the family whilst their father/husband was serving his suspended sentence for an unprovoked assault on a husband and wife in their 50's. 

A response straight out of the FG handbook.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

There are quite a few Irish first names in that squad - Daithi, Darragh, Ordhan, Eoin, Sean and another few surnames of lads without Irish names that you could say are Irish - Doherty, Brennan, Scannell, Donnelly, Barr. That's 10. 

There are enough lads who view that side as a means to play internationally, I don't think there is any denying that. We obviously have had that experience with a certain amount of English born players over the years too. 

The vast majority of the names would suggest the players are from CNR backgrounds - you could add the likes of Jordan, Mccann,and Pierce to that list. Probably fair to assume the goalkeeper McClean from Celtic is as well.

Most of the lads in that squad would be from that background, as for your additional names; Bayley McCann is the son of Grant McCann and although he plays for Celtic, Kai McClean is actually a Rangers fan who was born in Scotland.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Without zero other details, seems a very strange one on the face of it 

Its bizarre IMO. Rep of Ireland managers son declares for 'another' country. Daddy i want to play for the North...What?! LOL
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Without zero other details, seems a very strange one on the face of it 

Its bizarre IMO. Rep of Ireland managers son declares for 'another' country. Daddy i want to play for the North...What?! LOL

He hasn't "declared" for anyone - U18 football has no official recognition by FIFA, meaning that any such games are friendlies, without any consequences for eligibility or switching etc.

And in this particular case, the NI manager is missing a lot of GB-based players, since they are involved in pre-season trianing with their clubs, so he's turmed to more locally based players than usual.

Meanwhile if selected, young Kenny is probably keen to turn out in games against Man Utd's U18's.

As is usually the case, playing for NI needn't be any big deal - unless someone wants to make it so.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:22pm
If the Keñnys need advice they could try Harvey & Phil NevilleLOL
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

If the Keñnys need advice they could try Harvey & Phil NevilleLOL

LOLLOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Stephen Kenny’s son, Eoin, has been named in an NI under-18 squad.

Brought on after 81 minutes against Man Utd, with the score 2-2 - doubtless to give the fans something to boo.

MU then scored what proved to be the winner exactly one minute later - I'm blaming him for that.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Jul 2022 at 9:49pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:36am
Looks like the build up to the September games has started already. Damien Delaney looking to ramp up the pressure on Kenny here.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:30am
Damien Delaney? YAWWWWWWWN
I love beer gardens
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:51am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Looks like the build up to the September games has started already. Damien Delaney looking to ramp up the pressure on Kenny here.

A standard piece. Nothing new or unreasonable there. Delaney gives credit for the Belgium, Scotland and second Ukraine games. He rails at the atrocious Armenia sh*itshow and he's right about the pressure on Kenny. A bad performance in Scotland makes the gimme Armenia game a win-or-be-sacked fixture. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:16pm
If we have full teams available to us and we play sh*t against Scotland and Armenia and don't get results and finish last then there might be pressure alright. But if we finish 3rd or above then he Will definitely get to at least start the euros campaign and get the full campaign unless that was q complete sh*t show to start

Edited by t_rAndy - 04 Aug 2022 at 12:16pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If we have full teams available to us and we play sh*t against Scotland and Armenia and don't get results and finish last then there might be pressure alright. But if we finish 3rd or above then he Will definitely get to at least start the euros campaign and get the full campaign unless that was q complete sh*t show to start
Please Andy! How could that be defended?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 1:17pm
If we don't beat Armenia at home I think there might be some pressure alright! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 506507508509510 735>
  Share Topic