You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 457458459460461 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 11:30am
I’d be in the camp that Barry was huge factor in us improving.

Hopefully I’m wrong we will have a fair idea of the answer come the 1st of July.

What ever you feel we are worse off without him.
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

48,000 tickets sold for Saturday that’s some response. Only premium tickets left. To think that Delaney was giving away tickets by the barrow load 3 years ago.

And 32k for the Lithuania game Clap

Hummm we don't even have enough numbers to run a bus from Galway Cry
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 10:38am
Just watched the press conference with Kenny and a question was put to him regarding the last time he won the league and a quote when he said something about LOI/Irish players. Can't make out exactly what was asked but Kenny wasn't too impressed with the question and refused to comment on it. Even seemed to give the journalist a very annoyed glance after the question was asked. 

Did anyone catch what was asked?

Very difficult to hear what questions are being asked in these press conferences.
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Just watched the press conference with Kenny and a question was put to him regarding the last time he won the league and a quote when he said something about LOI/Irish players. Can't make out exactly what was asked but Kenny wasn't too impressed with the question and refused to comment on it. Even seemed to give the journalist a very annoyed glance after the question was asked. 

Very difficult to hear what questions are being asked in these press conferences.

He asked him something along the lines of 'when you last won the league you said that all english coaches were old school apart from Eddie Howe' Where Kenny corrects him and says he didn't say that. The journo goes on to ask him what did he see in Eustace compared to what he saw in old school english coaches and he refused to answer.

Some more detail on it;
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/stephen-kenny-happy-to-embrace-english-coaching-ideas-as-ireland-manager-clarifies-old-school-remark-41476352.html

Edited by counterlock - 24 Mar 2022 at 10:30pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

He asked him something along the lines of 'when you last won the league you said that all english coaches were old school apart from Eddie Howe' Where Kenny corrects him and says he didn't say that. The journo goes on to ask him what did he see in Eustace compared to what he saw in old school english coaches and he refused to answer.

Some more detail on it;

Great, thanks! Thumbs Up
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 7:15pm
Kenny out! Too much football being played for my taste.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I would say that was probably the strongest team Kenny could put out. It was a friendly against, let's face it, a weakened Belgium team.

Would have liked us to use the subs better, and those on the fringe of the team too like maybe Ronan. 

Duffy, Coleman, McLean, Hendrick and Doherty all very senior players over used in a friendly that could have been a good learning curve for at least one fringe player.

I hope for wholesale changes next game.

Have no real complains over the team selection, thats been our most settled team and formation now since Sept window. Needed to test it again against quality opposition after the Luxembourg and Qatar walkovers and it proved a good test and measurement to where we're at.

He could have maybe made the subs 15 mins earlier but we were on the front foot and a goal behind. We've seen it too many times before when teams make wholesale changes during friendlies where the game loses momentum and competitive edge.

Lithuania arent up to much, the just edged out San Marino 2-1 last night so that would be the perfect time for a series of changes where the fringe players can get a run out and still (hopefully) produce a good performance with a few goals.

Would like to see something like

Kelleher
           Duffy   Collins   O'Shea
Doherty  Cullen  Molumby  Manning
               Ronan     Keane
                    Robinson

Let Keane and Robinson rotate the 9 & 10 as well as playing them as a front 2 with Ronan in behind.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 11:34pm
Another sensational result. Against the world number 1!

Bringing us to places we could only previously dream of
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 12:21am
Coming back twice was the most impressive thing overall for me. He's changed how we play but also instilled a determination and a fight, something we were always know for. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 5:38am
Have to laugh at the "Belgium B team/weakened team" stuff. Every one of those players walks in to our team, apart from the keeper.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 8:12am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Have to laugh at the "Belgium B team/weakened team" stuff. Every one of those players walks in to our team, apart from the keeper.
Let’s be honest here, it was effectively a “B” side, but, still a very talented side and I do agree man for man they get in our team. They have huge strength in depth  
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 10:19am
For a friendly it was a good game and we played pretty well.  Poor defending though for the two goals, especially the 2nd.  Overall though it was good to see the lads fighting for a result.  We look to be in a better place overall.  Belgium could put out 3 teams, the worst of which would still be a strong international side.  

Against Lithuania I would like to see a few more lads given a run.  We could make changes in the back 3 without doing much damage.  Certainly Collins could do with a chance to show what he can do.  Could play Knight in central midfield with Cullen and give Parrott a go. Manning for McClean would make sense.  
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Let’s be honest here, it was effectively a “B” side, but, still a very talented side and I do agree man for man they get in our team. They have huge strength in depth  

Belgium are rated one of the best teams in the world, you need strength in depth for such a position.

It was a 'B' Belgium team, it was our strongest possible team and we were at home. That being said tactics looked good, the team looked organised and the players gave 100%. 

How many of our players had over 50 caps yesterday out of interest? Coleman, McClean, Hendrick for sure. Maybe Duffy just about. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Belgium are rated one of the best teams in the world, you need strength in depth for such a position.

It was a 'B' Belgium team, it was our strongest possible team and we were at home. That being said tactics looked good, the team looked organised and the players gave 100%. 

How many of our players had over 50 caps yesterday out of interest? Coleman, McClean, Hendrick for sure. Maybe Duffy just about. 
All here

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 7:43pm
I'm keeping me own spreadsheet for this and we have only 4 players with 50+ caps in current squads:

I'd not start any of these lads on Tuesday as we fully know what they deliver.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'm keeping me own spreadsheet for this and we have only 4 players with 50+ caps in current squads:

I'd not start any of these lads on Tuesday as we fully know what they deliver.
I post them all on Twitter when the squad is announced

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 27 Mar 2022 at 8:40pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 9:16pm
Did ever so well i have to say and a very good game to boot also
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Did ever so well i have to say and a very good game to boot also

Tune changing? Or holding your powder?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 457458459460461 735>
  Share Topic