You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 8:54am
According to the IT this morning it will, as previously reported, be a two year deal for Kenny. However it will include a pre-agreed severance amount that will allow the FAI to remove Kenny mid-contract and before the main qualifiers start if their Nations League targets aren't met. Not entirely clear what the minimum NL requirement for Kenny to be allowed to see out his contract will be though.
Sponsored Links

geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:16am
As someone that thinks he should only get the extension till the end of the nation's league I find this a strange agreement.

Obviously it all would hinge on what the targets are but if we get a hard group we could feasible end up bottom of the group but having put in good performances. If we put in good performances but end up losing by the odd goal or were unlucky he would probably have earned a longer deal but if targets aren't met he's gone Confused

Unless they are waiting to see the group before setting the targets
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:31am
Looking at who the fourth seeded teams are there's no way we should be coming bottom. I would take a top two finish in the Nations League to be a success - it would be above our seeding after all, you can't ask for more than that. Probably the question is whether third in the NL group (and a year's wait to find out if we've snuck into the playoffs) would be considered satisfactory for the FAI.

We'll maybe have a better idea on that after the groups are drawn. If we got the absolute worst case scenario draw of Sweden and Russia today then third might be as good as could be hoped for. Looking at the other pot 1 and pot 2 teams though, we should be able to have a crack at any of them.

Edited by You Tell Me - 16 Dec 2021 at 9:34am
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:38am
If the FAI are solely benchmarking it against previous NL campaigns, then it's not really hard for him to go wrong since we haven't won a game to date.

I would say the expectation is to finish high in the group regardless of what the draw is and Kenny himself has said they are going into it with the view of topping the group. 

Just hope that the performances are good and we can make a good stab at it with some nice away fixtures thrown in Wink
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:42am
League B really is such a strange collection of teams! 
If we were to get Iceland and Finland and we are capable of playing well then top of the group is very much in play but contrast that with Ukraine Russia LOL
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by geansaí geansaí wrote:

If we were to get Iceland and Finland and we are capable of playing well then top of the group is very much in play but contrast that with Ukraine Russia LOL

Ukraine and Russia can't be drawn in the same group so that might make things a little bit easier
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Ukraine and Russia can't be drawn in the same group so that might make things a little bit easier

I knew there was something odd when I was typing that out LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
I don't know that Ukraine are all the great anyway. They made hard work of getting second in an average enough WC qualifying group. 

Sweden are the team to avoid from that pot I would say, looking at how close they went to putting Spain into the WC playoffs.

The other teams - Iceland, Bosnia, Scotland, even Norway despite having Haaland - are the teams we should be looking to match up to in this competition.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 10:10am
Don't forget Iceland can't draw both of Israel and Armenia either due to the excess travel rule.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Russia would bring 200,000 to the away game.  All dressed patriotically in army uniform
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't know that Ukraine are all the great anyway. They made hard work of getting second in an average enough WC qualifying group. 

Sweden are the team to avoid from that pot I would say, looking at how close they went to putting Spain into the WC playoffs.

The other teams - Iceland, Bosnia, Scotland, even Norway despite having Haaland - are the teams we should be looking to match up to in this competition.

Didn't Ukraine knock Sweden out of the euro's?
Ukraine made a dog's dinner of qualifying but went unbeaten, Sweden pushed Spain but lost to Greece and Georgia. The I'd put them as similar enough teams in the sense that they both have good players but don't always achieve what they should- and they both like yellow and blue!

I wouldn't be expecting us to beat either and any positive result would be a big achievement if we draw them
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 12:04pm
Sweden have an aging team - I think several players have retired since the summer - and I'm not sure they have the players to replace them yet. Isak looks reasonably dangerous but they're nothing to be scared of on paper. If we can come within a few minutes of taking 4 points off Portugal we can improve on that against them.

Russia look rank these days.

It's much of a muchness for me TBH. In saying that, I wouldn't fancy getting both in the same group.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 12:13pm
Finland I think are the draw you want from that pot. I'd say any group we get that contains Finland will be seen as not too bad, whereas any group that contains Russia will be seen as being tough enough.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 3:05pm
The NL will be helpful in determining where we are at as a team. Being able to make light work of the likes of Lux and Azerbaijan sets a bar, as does the home draws with Serbia and Portugal. These are mid-ranking teams which a solid Irish team, playing to a fit for purpose system should be able to compete with.

We shouldn’t fear the likes of Ukraine or Russia.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 6:07pm
Ukraine will batter us, most of their better attacking players are CL regulars
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Ukraine will batter us, most of their better attacking players are CL regulars

They will in their hole "batter us" LOL

Recent match results

16 Nov 2021 Bosnia and Herzegovina v Ukraine 0-2
11 Nov 2021 Ukraine v Bulgaria 1-1
12 Oct 2021 Ukraine v Bosnia and Herzegovina 1-1
09 Oct 2021 Finland v Ukraine 1-2
08 Sep 2021 Czech Republic v Ukraine 1-1
04 Sep 2021 Ukraine v France 1-1
01 Sep 2021Kazakhstan v Ukraine2-2

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 6:16pm
They played Kazakhstan twice this year. Didn't beat them either time.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 6:17pm
I just  hope Yarmolenko is the West Ham version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 447448449450451 735>
  Share Topic