Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

From Liam Brady:

Speaking to RTE, Ireland legend Brady poured cold water on the mood of excitement among some Ireland fans as a decision on Kenny's future looms large for FAI chiefs.

"I'd put the brakes on that a bit," he said. "I think the jury is still very much out (on Stephen Kenny). His contract goes to next June and we have some games in March and more in June.

"If I was one of the people in the FAI who have to decide whether he stays or goes, I'd sit and wait until we have played those games.

"Why do you think he deserves to get a new contract now? I'm saying, if I was one of those people in the FAI, I wouldn't be in a rush to make any decision.

"This is probably the worst qualifying campaign we have in the World Cup or the Euros for the last 20 years."

From Shane Duffy

“He had a tough start with the whole Covid and players dropping out and that resulted in results not going our way. But if you don’t think we’re going in a positive way, you’re writing the wrong stuff. We’re all going in the right direction. There’s a difference in the football we’re playing. Fans are excited about it.

“For me, I think it’s obvious we love playing under him. We’re all fighting for him. Even during the hard situation there at the start, we were still fighting for him. That’s a sign that the players want to play for a manager."
I don't think a player, who is first on the team sheet, is hardly going to say "sack the manager"!

You must be f**king raging we got that result last night just like you probably were after Baku. You'll move the goalposts again even if we were to win 5-0 on Sunday
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:00am
The likes of Brady and his ilk are completely deluded. The remarkable thing about last night is how comfortable we looked for pretty much the entire game. It looked like a proper game of football between two evenly matched sides and worlds away from the dross we've become accustomed to over the years. Which is crazy when you look at the massive gulf between the two sides on paper. I was even thinking back to the Germany game in 2015 - sure we ended up somehow winning that in the end but realistically we should have been about 4-0 down before Long's goal. We didn't win last night but we actually looked like Portugal's equal and not some minnow that had been bashed up for the entire game and then fortuitously scored with their one attack.

You can argue that Portugal weren't full tilt given they're playing Serbia on Sunday but they still needed to do a job - and they just about fell over the line in that respect in the end primarily due to a massive helping hand from the ref. The usual sort of utter bullsh*t call UEFA tends to consistently facilitate the bigger teams with. And also very much in keeping with SK's horrific luck in general since he took the role.

Ireland are actually enjoyable to watch these days and not only that but they are also clearly improving from game to game. It's a no brainer call now to offer Kenny a new deal. He's created a team that is greater than the sum of their parts and once he starts finally getting a break or two the results will improve too.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
Also, I think Brady is talking nonsense about the way Portugal played and the manner in which they set up for the game. Every single Portuguese player would replace ours, if they qualified for Ireland. 

They could call on the young player of the tournament at Euro 2016, a £100 million + signing, and a PL regular with over 150 caps to come off their bench. Up top they have Mr Superhuman who on his own wins matches and drags teams to victory. Champions League regulars, big money transfers. You name it, why was on the pitch had it all.

When you match that, while playing several third tier players and lads who aren’t playing regular club football, you have to give credit to management who are creating the right conditions for this.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

From Liam Brady:

Speaking to RTE, Ireland legend Brady poured cold water on the mood of excitement among some Ireland fans as a decision on Kenny's future looms large for FAI chiefs.

"I'd put the brakes on that a bit," he said. "I think the jury is still very much out (on Stephen Kenny). His contract goes to next June and we have some games in March and more in June.

"If I was one of the people in the FAI who have to decide whether he stays or goes, I'd sit and wait until we have played those games.

"Why do you think he deserves to get a new contract now? I'm saying, if I was one of those people in the FAI, I wouldn't be in a rush to make any decision.

"This is probably the worst qualifying campaign we have in the World Cup or the Euros for the last 20 years."

From Shane Duffy

“He had a tough start with the whole Covid and players dropping out and that resulted in results not going our way. But if you don’t think we’re going in a positive way, you’re writing the wrong stuff. We’re all going in the right direction. There’s a difference in the football we’re playing. Fans are excited about it.

“For me, I think it’s obvious we love playing under him. We’re all fighting for him. Even during the hard situation there at the start, we were still fighting for him. That’s a sign that the players want to play for a manager."
I don't think a player, who is first on the team sheet, is hardly going to say "sack the manager"!

You must be f**king raging we got that result last night just like you probably were after Baku. You'll move the goalposts again even if we were to win 5-0 on Sunday
If we win 5-0 (we wont) then give him a new contract. If we lose 5-0, you would still argue for him to get a new contract!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:12am
While I certainly wouldn't say "sack Kenny" if we don't win Tuesday I do want us to go and win as concrete proof we are going the right way (as in a position to qualify or go close to qualfiying for the Euros). 

They are a real solid 4th seed team but hypothetically if we got the same teams in the Euro qualifiers by March 2023 this is the sort of bread and butter we would need to go and win. I also want a clean sheet. Another one Tuesday night really hammers home how much they have organised the side defensively in the last few months would be the 4th in a row. 

Clean sheet also gives us the platform to knick that goal to win it. We aren't littered with decent attackers so it's paramount we use our quality or defenders/keeper to make ourselves hard to score against. 

Last night was a positive and we don't come away thinking (we scraped a draw spirit desire etc). We come away thinking we were ful value and can feel hard done by with a disallowed goal against one of the top 10 teams on the planet.

A win against a real solid 4th seed away would be a massive sign we are going where we want (qualfiying for the Euros) and I do want that now. It's not unrealistic.  

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Nov 2021 at 11:17am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

While I certainly wouldn't say "sack Kenny" if we don't win Tuesday I do want us to go and win as concrete proof we are going the right way (as in a position to qualify or go close to qualfiying for the Euros). 

They are a real solid 4th seed team but hypothetically if we got the same teams in the Euro qualifiers by March 2023 this is the sort of bread and butter we would need to go and win. I also want a clean sheet as keeping clean sheets is good. Another one Tuesday night really hammers home how much they have organised the side defensively in the last few months would be the 4th in a row. 

Clean sheet also gives us the platform to knick that goal to win it. We aren't littered with decent attackers so it's paramount we use our quality or defenders/keeper to make ourselves hard to score against. 

Last night was a positive and we don't come away thinking (we scraped a draw spirit desire etc). We come away thinking we were ful value and can feel hard done by with a disallowed goal against one of the top 10 teams on the planet.

A win against a real solid 4th seed away would be a massive sign we are going where we want (qualfiying for the Euros) and I do want that now. It's not unrealistic.  
I think a draw would be acceptable, but a loss to them, again, just not good enough.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:17am
I think you are too old for this to be honest 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:21am
I think it's actually mad. There is a perception that there is split opinion on this generally. But there isn't. Absolutely every footbal person I know is behind Kenny. Public is behind it. Bums in seats is what the FAI care about. A damn shame the winner didn't count yesterday. Season tickets would have benefitted nicely 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I think it's actually mad. There is a perception that there is split opinion on this generally. But there isn't. Absolutely every footbal person I know is behind Kenny. Public is behind it. Bums in seats is what the FAI care about. A damn shame the winner didn't count yesterday. Season tickets would have benefitted nicely 
Do you include ex-players as "football person"? If you do then I think there are many who are sceptical about SK. To not even allow an opinion that questions SK's suitability or performance, is I'm afraid a bit extreme.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:30am

They are a real solid 4th seed team but hypothetically if we got the same teams in the Euro qualifiers by March 2023 this is the sort of bread and butter we would need to go and win. I also want a clean sheet as keeping clean sheets is good. Another one Tuesday night really hammers home how much they have organised the side defensively in the last few months would be the 4th in a row. 

I think a draw would be acceptable, but a loss to them, again, just not good enough.

It would be a bad result but not all results can be good. That's football. You have to look at the collective. 
There have been terrible results.
There have been good results.
There has been good performances
There have been terrible performances. 

But over the past 10 games, the bar has been going in the right direction on not only the performances but also now the results (the stick that was being used to beat him with initially). 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:33am

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Do you include ex-players as "football person"? If you do then I think there are many who are sceptical about SK. To not even allow an opinion that questions SK's suitability or performance, is I'm afraid a bit extreme.

I'm talking about football people within my life. Members of the general public. I couldn't care less about what ex players have to say.

You last sentence makes no sense. You're arguing something I never said 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It would be a bad result but not all results can be good. That's football. You have to look at the collective. 
There have been terrible results.
There have been good results.
There has been good performances
There have been terrible performances. 

But over the past 10 games, the bar has been going in the right direction on not only the performances but also now the results (the stick that was being used to beat him with initially). 
I think the FAI have said they will review the situation after the completion of all matches in the qualifiers. I think that is fair enough. He will have had NL and WC campaigns completed. My view is that, development or not, finishing in 4th position is just not acceptable. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:38am
don’t recall there being such a feel good factor around the team and management ever since I started following the team. When was the last time 40,000 fans stayed behind to see the team off? Bosnia?

If anything, Kenny must be kicking himself for the March results. 

It’s a no brainer. New deal to July 2024 should be agreed today. 

Edited by Pipkin - 12 Nov 2021 at 11:39am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:14pm
To read some (v few, mind) views that Kenny's contract is all down to the match Sunday v Lux just goes to show how shortsighted some people are.
For me, he gets a new contract regardless of what happens Sunday as he has shown that this team have something, we can play, we can get results and we are improving all the time, with only more improvement to come.
Sure, we will have bad days, but so be it. 
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We could be in a battle, create lotsa chances, dominate the game end to end and they steal a bizarre goal...and Kenny goes because of that as we lost?

What absolute nonsense.

Edited by Fozz - 12 Nov 2021 at 12:15pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

To read some (v few, mind) views that Kenny's contract is all down to the match Sunday v Lux just goes to show how shortsighted some people are.
For me, he gets a new contract regardless of what happens Sunday as he has shown that this team have something, we can play, we can get results and we are improving all the time, with only more improvement to come.
Sure, we will have bad days, but so be it. 
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

We could be in a battle, create lotsa chances, dominate the game end to end and they steal a bizarre goal...and Kenny goes because of that as we lost?

What absolute nonsense.
Take all the games over the course of two campaigns, and judge on the basis of that. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:24pm

Take all the games over the course of two campaigns, and judge on the basis of that. 

Yep, and doing that on a graph would show us start at a low ebb and gradually improve as we went.
Yes, the Lux result (and performance, and I'd add the first 60 odd mins v Andorra even) were poor but overall that graph is rising now.
And rising nicely.
To change now would be a calamitous decision.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:28pm

Yep, and doing that on a graph would show us start at a low ebb and gradually improve as we went.
Yes, the Lux result (and performance, and I'd add the first 60 odd mins v Andorra even) were poor but overall that graph is rising now.
And rising nicely.

I think you would find a U-shaped curve, and not a linear one.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:32pm

And rising nicely.

I think you would find a U-shaped curve, and not a linear one.
The Board have an easy decision. They don’t need to look at performances. Look at crowds and their reaction. There is zero chance of them getting rid of Kenny. It isn’t on the agenda whatsoever.

Unless the Glazers come calling he will be in the hot seat for Germany 2024.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 413414415416417 735>
  Share Topic