Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:57am
I think in future it’s best to give management 1 game contracts, winner stays on, pretty straight forward. 
Sponsored Links

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I think in future it’s best to give management 1 game contracts, winner stays on, pretty straight forward. 
Nah...give 'em two competitions, just like Kenny.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I want Kenny to succeed more than anyone, but we've got to be beating Luxembourg regardless of this.

I don’t get this at all. He deserves credit for the Portugal result and performance regardless of what we do against Luxembourg, who delivered a similar result to ourselves in Azerbaijan. No shame if Lux get a result, we’ve no divine right to beat them
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Nah...give 'em two competitions, just like Kenny.

LOLLOLLOL unreal 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:04am

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

I expect we should not be losing to Luxembourg at home and finishing 4th.

Sh!t happens in isolation. Is he forever to be beaten by this stick? 

Success in any walk of life isn't a linear upward curve. Any who thinks so has never truly succeeded. Failure is a part of success. That is life. Lessons are hopefully learned, and success is born out of the failures put right.

Failure is inevitable on a journey. Is it an Irish thing that we get so consumed by it, rather than accepting it, learning and moving on?

If only the owner's of Newcastle, Aston Villa, Norwich and Brighton shared your Zen-like philosophical position.

There's nothing zen like about my outlook. It is what it is.

Failure is a part of life. Failure doesn't guarantee success. But success without failure is almost non existentent in most cases. 

And we all know why the vast majority of people don't attain their individual "success"... cause they dont try in the first place. Cause of fear of failure. 

Anyone who hangs their balls on the line and shows signs of getting closer to success deserves the benefit of the doubt. Kenny's no different.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I want Kenny to succeed more than anyone, but we've got to be beating Luxembourg regardless of this.

I don’t get this at all. He deserves credit for the Portugal result and performance regardless of what we do against Luxembourg, who delivered a similar result to ourselves in Azerbaijan. No shame if Lux get a result, we’ve no divine right to beat them

"But our problem was never getting a result against the big teams!" they cry, rocking back and forth holding a pillow as Luxembourg's winner is replayed over and over in their head no matter what is happening on the pitch currently. 
counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:05am

Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

Success in any walk of life isn't a linear upward curve. Any who thinks so has never truly succeeded. Failure is a part of success. That is life. Lessons are hopefully learned, and success is born out of the failures put right.

Failure is inevitable on a journey. Is it an Irish thing that we get so consumed by it, rather than accepting it, learning and moving on?

If only the owner's of Newcastle, Aston Villa, Norwich and Brighton shared your Zen-like philosophical position.

This is literally apples and oranges and if anything Brighton proves your argument completely wrong. Potter took over and completely changed the way the team played and achieved similar results to Hughton (albeit with a much worse win %age).
If Brighton has shown us anything, it's that changing a team's philosophy takes time and patience.
If we beat Luxembourg, give Kenny all the benefit of the doubt, even keep him on if we only draw.  If we lose to them (again), then time to move on.

Completely ignored everything I said. Carry on Clown
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:16am

This is literally apples and oranges and if anything Brighton proves your argument completely wrong. Potter took over and completely changed the way the team played and achieved similar results to Hughton (albeit with a much worse win %age).
If Brighton has shown us anything, it's that changing a team's philosophy takes time and patience.
If we beat Luxembourg, give Kenny all the benefit of the doubt, even keep him on if we only draw.  If we lose to them (again), then time to move on.

Completely ignored everything I said. Carry on Clown

If on this forum anyone uses the expression "proves your argument completely wrong"...obviously doesn't understand the meaning of the words "argument" and "wrong". But in fairness, if SK is awarded a new contract, at the very least I hope he throws a few bob at members of his fan club on here, who are working hard at preparing the excuses in the event of a loss to the mighty Luxembourg. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:20am

There's nothing zen like about my outlook. It is what it is.

Failure is a part of life. Failure doesn't guarantee success. But success without failure is almost non existentent in most cases. 

And we all know why the vast majority of people don't attain their individual "success"... cause they dont try in the first place. Cause of fear of failure. 

Anyone who hangs their balls on the line and shows signs of getting closer to success deserves the benefit of the doubt. Kenny's no different.

I fully agree with your wise words Banjaxed.

Nothing worse when you keep getting reminded of a mistake you made in the past. 
It's like the wife bringing up things that happened years ago as a stick to beat ya:
"Andy your f**king drunk" 
"yeah but I'm just having a laugh, nothing wrong with that"
"yes but remember the time 5 years ago when you nearly burned the house down when fell asleep while cooking when you came home drunk"? 
"yes i do remember that I I've learned my lesson and haven't done it since, why keep going back to that". 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:21am
[/QUOTE]
If on this forum anyone uses the expression "proves your argument completely wrong"...obviously doesn't understand the meaning of the words "argument" and "wrong". But in fairness, if SK is awarded a new contract, at the very least I hope he throws a few bob at members of his fan club on here, who are working hard at preparing the excuses in the event of a loss to the mighty Luxembourg. 
[/QUOTE]

Ffs. Embarrassing.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Ffs. Embarrassing.
[/QUOTE]

"Ffs". Devastating reposte!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
From Liam Brady:

Speaking to RTE, Ireland legend Brady poured cold water on the mood of excitement among some Ireland fans as a decision on Kenny's future looms large for FAI chiefs.

"I'd put the brakes on that a bit," he said. "I think the jury is still very much out (on Stephen Kenny). His contract goes to next June and we have some games in March and more in June.

"If I was one of the people in the FAI who have to decide whether he stays or goes, I'd sit and wait until we have played those games.

"Why do you think he deserves to get a new contract now? I'm saying, if I was one of those people in the FAI, I wouldn't be in a rush to make any decision.

"This is probably the worst qualifying campaign we have in the World Cup or the Euros for the last 20 years."

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:47am

From Liam Brady:

Speaking to RTE, Ireland legend Brady poured cold water on the mood of excitement among some Ireland fans as a decision on Kenny's future looms large for FAI chiefs.

"I'd put the brakes on that a bit," he said. "I think the jury is still very much out (on Stephen Kenny). His contract goes to next June and we have some games in March and more in June.

"If I was one of the people in the FAI who have to decide whether he stays or goes, I'd sit and wait until we have played those games.

"Why do you think he deserves to get a new contract now? I'm saying, if I was one of those people in the FAI, I wouldn't be in a rush to make any decision.

"This is probably the worst qualifying campaign we have in the World Cup or the Euros for the last 20 years."

From Shane Duffy

“He had a tough start with the whole Covid and players dropping out and that resulted in results not going our way. But if you don’t think we’re going in a positive way, you’re writing the wrong stuff. We’re all going in the right direction. There’s a difference in the football we’re playing. Fans are excited about it.

“For me, I think it’s obvious we love playing under him. We’re all fighting for him. Even during the hard situation there at the start, we were still fighting for him. That’s a sign that the players want to play for a manager."
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:50am

From Liam Brady:

From Shane Duffy

“He had a tough start with the whole Covid and players dropping out and that resulted in results not going our way. But if you don’t think we’re going in a positive way, you’re writing the wrong stuff. We’re all going in the right direction. There’s a difference in the football we’re playing. Fans are excited about it.

“For me, I think it’s obvious we love playing under him. We’re all fighting for him. Even during the hard situation there at the start, we were still fighting for him. That’s a sign that the players want to play for a manager."
I don't think a player, who is first on the team sheet, is hardly going to say "sack the manager"!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:52am
If he is first on the teamsheet he’s there on merit. He was on the bench for our games against Serbia and Luxembourg in March when he was having a rough time at club level. Kenny certainly has shown no blind spot there.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

If he is first on the teamsheet he’s there on merit. He was on the bench for our games against Serbia and Luxembourg in March when he was having a rough time at club level. Kenny certainly has shown no blind spot there.
He is there on merit. Was just saying that his players will not publicly criticise SK, nor should they.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:55am

From Liam Brady:

Brady is way too negative on last night's performance but I certainly take his point about how we've renewed mangers contracts too quickly, only for them to be ousted a few months later. Mick's first tenure and Mon particularly coming to mind.

However, I think this is a different secanrio. We midway through a complete reset of Irish football. Continuity is important at the moment 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

He is there on merit. Was just saying that his players will not publicly criticise SK, nor should they.

I do take your point. It will be those on the outside that are happy to chip away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 412413414415416 735>
  Share Topic