You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How people can’t see a build and progress is beyond me. Sure, we didn’t get close to the WC. However, the rebuilding job that has been done has been good, and since June this has not been to the detriment of results (apart perhaps from Azerbaijan at home). The draws against Portugal and Serbia would have been deemed acceptable under previous regimes, and the big win against Azerbaijan means that being scared of inferior opposition is now off the table.

He also virtually has his hands tied behind his back in terms of forwards. Credit to Robinson in particular, and to Ogbene, but he has no Robbie Keane, no Jon Walters, no Niall Quinn, no David Connolly, no Kevin Doyle, no David McGoldrick. Lenihan is doing very well in the championship, as is Dunne at QPR. Neither are in the squad. If either were forwards, performing to the same level, they’d be automatic selections over the likes of Keane, while the likes of Idah and Parrott would be plying their trade in the 21s.

Some perspective is needed in terms of what Kenny is now achieving, what he is achieving it with, and who against.

Clap

I've said it before but for me the biggest difference between when Kenny took over in the NL / beginning of this campaign was an out of sorts Duffy and the unavailability of Robinson.

If we were to lose both between now and Sunday through injury, the team will be as flat as in the defeat to Luxembourg and draw to Azerbaijan.

Duffy, Egan and Robinson are soul source of our goals.

We've enough players at the back to plug a leaky defense but if you lose 2/3 of the above we're goosed in attacking threat.

I'd add Browne to that list. Kenny earmarked him at the begining of the year saying "this could be a big year for him", but he's been unavailable for most of the games.

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A lot of chatter about the subs but our bench and squad is limited. The best 2 players in the bench were Collins and Kelleher and they weren’t coming on baring an injury

Manning is far better on the ball than McClean, he should have got the nod there.

Browne I would have thought would be the obvious replacement for Hendrick... Hourihane? God love him but he just isn't up to international standard, can't run, doesn't really tackle, not comfortable on the ball, takes an age to turn. First touch? It's like he's made out of trampolines, simple balls bounce right off him.

So yes, I would be critical of those 2 subs.

Will Keane, I think is clearly an upgrade on James Collins. Covers more ground a lot faster, far better on the ball. I think we might have seen the last of Collins in an Ireland shirt (barring injuries).

Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Not really, how about we not be out of the qualification running after four games. I’d be happy with that. We didn’t go for it tonight, passed backwards too much. Maybe your happy losing to Luxembourg at home etc etc but I’m not. Kenny out of his depth but by hook or by crook he has a good back room team in after departure of duff & kelly. 
What a load of bollocks!

We had a goal ruled out in the last minute for no reason. What can Kenny do about that? 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:00am
We should of won after the subs came on. Enough said. Anyone that can't see where this team is headed may aswel play football Manager because you never played football before . There is a style and a team building nicely and Kennys teams are getting better by the game.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:02am
Have, you’re.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:14am
Lads, lots of reasons to criticise Conor Hourihane but having a bad first touch is not one of them. He's a lovely footballer but generally needs the kind of time and space you get in lower divisions but not in international football (Qatar aside).  But again, he has a better first touch than most of our squad.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:17am
The criticism of Hourihane is a bit over the top. He was grand when he came on. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:32am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Originally posted by DR.HUGO DR.HUGO wrote:

I like Liam Brady so I’m surprised at his view on this match….that performance was good in my opinion we tried and succeeded in playing ball against a very good team I feel the lads did very well.
…possible question mark over the last two substitutes.

Yes. The substitutions were very poor.

Kenny OUT
It would damage this forums' reputation
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:43am
 Had a quick browse through some of comments taking cheap shots at SK . What a load of Garbage. Progress is slowly but surely taking place . Some great younger players to come thru from our under age teams over the next few years . I’m really hopeful for the future ! Team was really well set up tonight and a lot of lessons learned from the Serbia game where we were too open . I think the backroom team is very progressive and all their good work is starting to pay off now 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The criticism of Hourihane is a bit over the top. He was grand when he came on. 
Hotlips Hourihane?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:00am
Needs to start winning a few games to be fair......unless we win the NL next spring/summer, hes got to go. Germany 2024 is a must....if only to find my Adidas Trimtrabs I lost in Hannover in 88...fine looking bird all the same SmileSmile
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Allnighters11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allnighters11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:37am
If anyone remembers being at Ireland 0-0 Northern Ireland and think of the dread you'd be filled with that Ireland team playing any iteration of Portugal, we've come a long way.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:35am
v intellectual response. Guessing you were part of the drunk, Ronaldo booing fans this evening. Stick to your English soccer and let the adults talk this one through son.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:04am
I find it hard to understand what some fans actually expect a manager can do much better than the level that Kenny has brought us up to now? 
There is perhaps a lack of a killer edge, but Kenny is not a magician either who can suddenly make Championship and League 1 level players have that killer edge of creativity or goal threat. Our main threat (Robinson) is a trier and has some tricks and a decent eye for goal beyond that we are very limited. But that is not Kenny's fault. 

But if you look at the rest of the team, we are pretty solid in most areas. the players are getting more confident all the time with their passing. It can certainly improve also but we were coming from the absolute gutter in that regard, we couldn't string 2 or 3 passes together under previous managers. 

It would be totally illogical to change course now, even if we don't beat Luxembourg.

But in my opinion, we were really rock bottom when Luxembourg beat us first time around, everything was just off the boil for us and no fans in the ground to cheer them on and we were heading for the 4th/5th seed territory with our form, but now I firmly believe we are rising back up again and i don't think we have hit our ceiling under Kenny. 

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

I expect we should not be losing to Luxembourg at home and finishing 4th.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

Sh!t happens in isolation. Is he forever to be beaten by this stick? 

Success in any walk of life isn't a linear upward curve. Any who thinks so has never truly succeeded. Failure is a part of success. That is life. Lessons are hopefully learned, and success is born out of the failures put right.

Failure is inevitable on a journey. Is it an Irish thing that we get so consumed by it, rather than accepting it, learning and moving on?

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:35am

Success in any walk of life isn't a linear upward curve. Any who thinks so has never truly succeeded. Failure is a part of success. That is life. Lessons are hopefully learned, and success is born out of the failures put right.

Failure is inevitable on a journey. Is it an Irish thing that we get so consumed by it, rather than accepting it, learning and moving on?

If only the owner's of Newcastle, Aston Villa, Norwich and Brighton shared your Zen-like philosophical position.

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:49am

If only the owner's of Newcastle, Aston Villa, Norwich and Brighton shared your Zen-like philosophical position.

This is literally apples and oranges and if anything Brighton proves your argument completely wrong. Potter took over and completely changed the way the team played and achieved similar results to Hughton (albeit with a much worse win %age).
If Brighton has shown us anything, it's that changing a team's philosophy takes time and patience.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:53am
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

This is literally apples and oranges and if anything Brighton proves your argument completely wrong. Potter took over and completely changed the way the team played and achieved similar results to Hughton (albeit with a much worse win %age).
If Brighton has shown us anything, it's that changing a team's philosophy takes time and patience.
If we beat Luxembourg, give Kenny all the benefit of the doubt, even keep him on if we only draw.  If we lose to them (again), then time to move on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 411412413414415 735>
  Share Topic