Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 410411412413414 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:32pm
LOL
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Not really, how about we not be out of the qualification running after four games. I’d be happy with that. We didn’t go for it tonight, passed backwards too much. Maybe your happy losing to Luxembourg at home etc etc but I’m not. Kenny out of his depth but by hook or by crook he has a good back room team in after departure of duff & kelly. 

You see if this was Eddie Howe or something and games had gone exactly the same way, the narrative would now be... He's starting to make his mark... The Eddie Howe effect is now in full swing. But it's Stephen Kenny.

Be easier if some people just admit that they (for whatever reason) don't want Kenny in the job.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:34pm
f**k me LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:35pm
give the man a dam contract already. how long since we played a world class team and gave them a run for their money like that?
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Liam Brady has a serious attitude 

He is making a decent argument. I don't agree with it but there is logic to it. 
Spot on...no need to panic here. It's not as if Kenny is going to be picked up by someone else. Contract's handed out to Trap and MON  too hastily and ended up having to be paid off. Lets see how the games go in June. A couple of poor results versus teams around our own ability and the mood could change. Good performance tonight
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:38pm
It will take a heavy defeat on Sunday for the conversation of Kenny being sacked to even come up again. This team is going places. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:39pm
Sunday is a huge game for him. Barring an absolute disaster he'll get another campaign now, but a good win on Sunday would get the monkey of the awful home defeat against them off his back and send him into the next campaign with a bit of momentum. 

A draw would leave questions and doubt in that he had two goes at Luxembourg and couldn't beat them either time. 

A second defeat to them would raise massive questions about whether we are actually seeing any real progression in terms of results even if the style of football is a bit better to watch.

My own view is that we should be beating them on Sunday and I think we will. But things like the subs he made today still give me the fear in terms of his judgement at times. How he could think, based on what we've seen in the last year, that McClean and Hourihane were the subs we needed in that situation is honestly beyond me. The other one seemed off as well, no problem.with Idah coming on, but taking out one of our central midfielders to get him on was a mistake and we lost control of the midfield from there up until the sending off as a result.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:42pm
Sacking him in June would be too late. He either is given an extension now or be relieved of his position so as to give the new manager the best possible opportunity at qualifying for the euros.

If he manages to avoid complete disaster on Sunday I'd give him a new contract. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 11 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Not really, how about we not be out of the qualification running after four games. I’d be happy with that. We didn’t go for it tonight, passed backwards too much. Maybe your happy losing to Luxembourg at home etc etc but I’m not. Kenny out of his depth but by hook or by crook he has a good back room team in after departure of duff & kelly. 

You see if this was Eddie Howe or something and games had gone exactly the same way, the narrative would now be... He's starting to make his mark... The Eddie Howe effect is now in full swing. But it's Stephen Kenny.

Be easier if some people just admit that they (for whatever reason) don't want Kenny in the job.

In fairness if it was Eddie Howe in charge of the results we have had since Kenny came in the same fans and journos that are backing Kenny at every opportunity (the Dan McDonnells etc.) would absolutely be on Howe's back and trying to hound him out of the job, as they did with others in the past.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:50pm
How people can’t see a build and progress is beyond me. Sure, we didn’t get close to the WC. However, the rebuilding job that has been done has been good, and since June this has not been to the detriment of results (apart perhaps from Azerbaijan at home). The draws against Portugal and Serbia would have been deemed acceptable under previous regimes, and the big win against Azerbaijan means that being scared of inferior opposition is now off the table.

He also virtually has his hands tied behind his back in terms of forwards. Credit to Robinson in particular, and to Ogbene, but he has no Robbie Keane, no Jon Walters, no Niall Quinn, no David Connolly, no Kevin Doyle, no David McGoldrick. Lenihan is doing very well in the championship, as is Dunne at QPR. Neither are in the squad. If either were forwards, performing to the same level, they’d be automatic selections over the likes of Keane, while the likes of Idah and Parrott would be plying their trade in the 21s.

Some perspective is needed in terms of what Kenny is now achieving, what he is achieving it with, and who against.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Liam Brady has a serious attitude 

He is making a decent argument. I don't agree with it but there is logic to it. 
Spot on...no need to panic here. It's not as if Kenny is going to be picked up by someone else. Contract's handed out to Trap and MON  too hastily and ended up having to be paid off. Lets see how the games go in June. A couple of poor results versus teams around our own ability and the mood could change. Good performance tonight

Their agents did an excellent job and cost the FAI millions. Their time was up and should never have been offered those final contracts. The Kenny situation is different in that he is unlikely to be getting a big offer elsewhere as you say but also, he is far from finished. 

Don't think it is necessary from a business point of view to be deciding on his contract yet. It shouldn't be a topic for conversation/consideration but poor precedents were set.

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 11 Nov 2021 at 11:11pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

How people can’t see a build and progress is beyond me. Sure, we didn’t get close to the WC. However, the rebuilding job that has been done has been good, and since June this has not been to the detriment of results (apart perhaps from Azerbaijan at home). The draws against Portugal and Serbia would have been deemed acceptable under previous regimes, and the big win against Azerbaijan means that being scared of inferior opposition is now off the table.

He also virtually has his hands tied behind his back in terms of forwards. Credit to Robinson in particular, and to Ogbene, but he has no Robbie Keane, no Jon Walters, no Niall Quinn, no David Connolly, no Kevin Doyle, no David McGoldrick. Lenihan is doing very well in the championship, as is Dunne at QPR. Neither are in the squad. If either were forwards, performing to the same level, they’d be automatic selections over the likes of Keane, while the likes of Idah and Parrott would be plying their trade in the 21s.

Some perspective is needed in terms of what Kenny is now achieving, what he is achieving it with, and who against.
Good post 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Clap

I've said it before but for me the biggest difference between when Kenny took over in the NL / beginning of this campaign was an out of sorts Duffy and the unavailability of Robinson.

If we were to lose both between now and Sunday through injury, the team will be as flat as in the defeat to Luxembourg and draw to Azerbaijan.

Duffy, Egan and Robinson are soul source of our goals.

We've enough players at the back to plug a leaky defense but if you lose 2/3 of the above we're goosed in attacking threat.

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Did ok tonight but Portugal didn't really care too much. If we finish 4th in the group and don't beat Luxembourg then I am not sure Kenny should be kept on. 6 points, 7 points or 9 points from a campaign is a brutal return and would get any other previous manager of Ireland sacked.

However, if we beat Luxembourg then I would leave him there for a few more matches to see how we do under him. I'd agree with Liam Brady here. There is no need in giving him a large contract extension yet when it could easily backfire badly.

Too black & white a way to look at it. Context matters. We've been missing an enormous amount of players over the last year (due to massive injury lists & Covid, McGoldrick retiring...), while trying to rebuild the squad in the middle of a pandemic. That context, coupled with [eventual] clear progress buys Kenny more time in my book.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:28pm
Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:34pm

What a load of bollocks!
Idah Dream!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Suffice to say, anyone who doesn't see progress has the blinkers on!

Exactly. And progress with the weakest set of players in 40 years. What do the naysayers expect? Instant success with by and large average players?

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:36pm
A lot of chatter about the subs but our bench and squad is limited. The best 2 players in the bench were Collins and Kelleher and they weren’t coming on baring an injury
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 410411412413414 735>
  Share Topic