You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Exactly which is why I get so annoyed. Luck is a part of football. We have been unlucky. Slovakia away, Serbia away & Portugal away were 3 good performances against 2 decent sides and 1 world class one. When was the last time we went anywhere and retained the ball? Or looked creative? At full time after the game in Slovakia everyone was in agreement that it could have and should have went our way. It didn't & I get it but to say injuries, COVID & fans didn't hamper us in getting a result is just putting blinkers on.

A lot of this comes back to a comment about Serbia and someone saying we played well in it. We didnt. 

You keep referencing rewriting history and make points to suit your argument. We did play well away from home against the team who look like they will top the group. Again you either didn't watch the game or just have blinkers on.

Regarding Duffy - you said again rewriting history. He was dropped by Ireland & rightly so. Would MON have done that? No chance. This is what I say about man management. Getting the best out of players while also giving them confidence. Taking young lads out of the firing line while putting in other young lads. 

Just realised you're talking about the home game, Jesus wept.

Yeah, I realise that I was crossing wires with both games.

The home game with Serbia I don't think we played well in - but we got a result. No issue with that.

The away game we had some good passages of play, I do struggle to go over the top about it given we conceeded 3 goals which is just not good enough - but yes it was a decent enough performance.

I don't think anyone who is sceptical of Kenny has any foundation in using the games v Serbia/Portugal/Slovakia as criticisms.

It's the other games vs teams in and around our level, or below us, where we have looked quite poor in many or most of them. Combined with not getting results in them - which is the priority. We have to be beating the likes of Azerbaijan/Luxembourg/Bulgaria, even Finland. We only have one win against that lot from 7 games.

I genuinely hope that we have reached a turning point, and I guess the proof will be in the pudding next month. Anyway, until then.Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

As for the progression - sure the last two games have been very good, but have there been 'so many clear signs of progression'? Is two games enough to point to and say that everything is finally coming to fruition?

If Portugal put a few goals past us and we lose to Luxembourg after, nobody is going to give two sh*ts about a friendly v Qatar. The conversation looks a lot different then. Hopefully we are finally on the upward curve with Kenny, but to act like it's been obvious for months, or that he needs to be given a new contract now - is absolutely bizarre stuff. Lets wait and see.

LOL

You only want to "wait and see" since we beat Qatar. Before then, you didn't wait at all, as you had seen enough. What you're waiting patiently for is the "different conversation" you write about above. After the win in Baku, the next demand was to "build on it". When we built on it, the next demand was beat Luxembourg. And if we beat them, the goalposts will be moved again. 

Philip Quinn has been forecasting various takes on the "different conversation" above in his newspaper column every single day for the past month. As the results went for Kenny this week, he had to change direction.  So he was left to cry and whinge that the brits in green joined us in the also rans ward this week, reminiscing fondly about what they done 40 years ago. I frankly don't care about them, they have their own association, their own team, their own history, and it's about as useful to me as football in Norway. 

We've lost one of the last 8 games. It's not breaking any records, but it gives Kenny something to build on. The next 2 games are going to be hard, and it's unlikely we'll win both, we may not win either, and I'm sure you'll have a lot more to say about that than the past week. But the conversation won't be any different. The redevelopment job continues into the next campaign. Luxembourg is just another step on the journey, not it's destination.

The goalposts are very clear. Beat the teams we should be beating. If possible get results v much better teams and if not don't be disgraced in defeat. If he wants to bring through 10 players, or pass the ball more to do that then that's his perogative.

Given what had come before in terms of results and performances, I found it extremely unlikely that Kenny would manage to turn things around enough to merit a second term. We still hadn't a competitive win until we beat Azerbaijan. He has certainly started to turn it around with two good results and performances but we need to see if consistency can be maintained.

Even still, if we ended this campaign with one competitive win in the group then that would be a cause for concern, yes - surely. It would surely be hard to expect him to go from one competitive win to the 3 or so that people would hope for in the Nations League and the 4 or 5 that people would expect in Euro 2024 qualifiers. How could you have any faith that he can make that leap if he doesn't start winning games in this group. Surely that is not an unreasonable thing to think? LOL

So yes, the Luxembourg and Portugal games have to be considered important. I am hopeful that we have turned a corner. This 'different conversation' malarky is a moot point anyway as I expect barring a complete hiding v Portugal and an embarrassing defeat away to Luxembourg that he is safe, regardless of some of our opinoons. I'm not wishing for either of those things so to say I'm waiting around for a different conversation is nonsense. Anyway, I promise I'm done now. LOL

Edited by E2016 - 15 Oct 2021 at 1:14pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm

The goalposts are very clear. Beat the teams we should be beating. If possible get results v much better teams and if not don't be disgraced in defeat. If he wants to bring through 10 players, or pass the ball more to do that then that's his perogative.

Given what had come before in terms of results and performances, I found it extremely unlikely that Kenny would manage to turn things around enough to merit a second term. We still hadn't a competitive win until we beat Azerbaijan. He has certainly started to turn it around with two good results and performances but we need to see if consistency can be maintained.

Even still, if we ended this campaign with one competitive win in the group then that would be a cause for concern, yes - surely. It would surely be hard to expect him to go from one competitive win to the 3 or so that people would hope for in the Nations League and the 4 or 5 that people would expect in Euro 2024 qualifiers. How could you have any faith that he can make that leap if he doesn't start winning games in this group. Surely that is not an unreasonable thing to think? 

So yes, the Luxembourg and Portugal games have to be considered important. I am hopeful that we have turned a corner. This 'different conversation' malarky is a moot point anyway as I expect barring a complete hiding v Portugal and an embarrassing defeat away to Luxembourg that he is safe, regardless of some of our opinoons. I'm not wishing for either of those things so to say I'm waiting around for a different conversation is nonsense. 

The Luxembourg and Portugal games are dead rubber games that have to be fulfilled. I'm not confident of going to Luxembourg to face European Cup stars, and winning. We may lose heavily against Portugal, but nobody beyond our border will bat an eyelid. None of them acknowledged our performance out there, or the penalty save, or even the result, the story was about a new goalscoring record. We are an also ran in this competition, invisible and irrelevant to everyone outside the country. The one chance this year we had to sell ourselves was in hosting the Euros. We refused point blank to cooperate, and so the world moved on without us.

The Nations League is not a major tournament, and I wouldn't be losing sleep over it. MON got 2 points in it. Kenny got 2 points in it, the games were dull as ditchwater. Germany got relegated in it. Now they're the first team into the World Cup Finals. The NL means nothing.

You didn't give Kenny a chance to gain consistency. You wanted him gone long before now, and won't rest until he is. Last weekend, there were October Obituaries of past coaches being written out in the media. 1985, 2002, 2005, 2007, etc etc. Now the new demand is he beats Luxembourg or he's for the high jump. The game in Luxembourg is going to be very very difficult, and the performance may leave a lot to be desired. But if we nick a 1-0 win by VAR after 95 minutes, Kenny keeps his job just on that basis? How can that be right?

The campaign is over 8 games. It wasn't decided because we won a couple of games this month, it was decided because we weren't good enough over 8 games. There are very few teams nowadays that we "should be" beating. Basically outside the part time pub teams permanently lodged at the bottom of the groups, we cannot expect to beat teams. The state we're in means every game we play is going to be a long hard slog at best, and a reality check at worst. But we have to go through the transition now so we can be relevant in tournaments in the future. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Even still, if we ended this campaign with one competitive win in the group then that would be a cause for concern, yes - surely. It would surely be hard to expect him to go from one competitive win to the 3 or so that people would hope for in the Nations League and the 4 or 5 that people would expect in Euro 2024 qualifiers. How could you have any faith that he can make that leap if he doesn't start winning games in this group. Surely that is not an unreasonable thing to think? 

So yes, the Luxembourg and Portugal games have to be considered important. I am hopeful that we have turned a corner. This 'different conversation' malarky is a moot point anyway as I expect barring a complete hiding v Portugal and an embarrassing defeat away to Luxembourg that he is safe, regardless of some of our opinoons. I'm not wishing for either of those things so to say I'm waiting around for a different conversation is nonsense. 

The Luxembourg and Portugal games are dead rubber games that have to be fulfilled. I'm not confident of going to Luxembourg to face European Cup stars, and winning. We may lose heavily against Portugal, but nobody beyond our border will bat an eyelid. None of them acknowledged our performance out there, or the penalty save, or even the result, the story was about a new goalscoring record. We are an also ran in this competition, invisible and irrelevant to everyone outside the country. The one chance this year we had to sell ourselves was in hosting the Euros. We refused point blank to cooperate, and so the world moved on without us.

The Nations League is not a major tournament, and I wouldn't be losing sleep over it. MON got 2 points in it. Kenny got 2 points in it, the games were dull as ditchwater. Germany got relegated in it. Now they're the first team into the World Cup Finals. The NL means nothing.

You didn't give Kenny a chance to gain consistency. You wanted him gone long before now, and won't rest until he is. Last weekend, there were October Obituaries of past coaches being written out in the media. 1985, 2002, 2005, 2007, etc etc. Now the new demand is he beats Luxembourg or he's for the high jump. The game in Luxembourg is going to be very very difficult, and the performance may leave a lot to be desired. But if we nick a 1-0 win by VAR after 95 minutes, Kenny keeps his job just on that basis? How can that be right?

The campaign is over 8 games. It wasn't decided because we won a couple of games this month, it was decided because we weren't good enough over 8 games. There are very few teams nowadays that we "should be" beating. Basically outside the part time pub teams permanently lodged at the bottom of the groups, we cannot expect to beat teams. The state we're in means every game we play is going to be a long hard slog at best, and a reality check at worst. But we have to go through the transition now so we can be relevant in tournaments in the future. 

There’s 4 paragraphs but I’m not sure what you are getting at?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:53pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

In line for new contract: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e370152e-2ebf-11ec-9657-60f46274c249?shareToken=dfe4f456646ed107931d1b36b872a9d2.

It's provisional on "barring a disaster against Luxembourg next month" LOL
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Anthony Barry 1st team coach at Chelsea appointed to the coaching staff

Wales on line linking him to the Cardiff job which would horrendous news if he had to resign his position from the Irish set up 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 4:47pm
Thought it was Kenny being linked to the Cardiff job at first. LOL

Obviously it would be better if Brian Barry-Murphy, who's also linked with the job, went there.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:16am
50 today
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

50 today

You can find him in da club.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:43pm
SK ClapClapClapClapClap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:45pm
ClapClap f**king delighted for him ClapClap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:47pm

Liam Brady has a serious attitude 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Organised to a man, formation spot on, tactics down to a detail.

MON, Mick or Trap and Portugal would walk it.

Well played to SK because the shape of a team is coming together.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Old man shouting at the clouds shocker!! 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:49pm
Who would have thought a 0-0 draw at home to a team who came  for a draw would have brought about such an outpouring of emotion on the Kenny thread.LOL

The real game is on Sunday. We should be winning it and I think we will, but I wouldn't be getting too carried away about tonight. Need to go and beat Luxembourg now.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Liam Brady has a serious attitude 
talking sh*te
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who would have thought a 0-0 draw at home to a team who came  for a draw would have brought about such an outpouring of emotion on the Kenny thread.LOL

The real game is on Sunday. We should be winning it and I think we will, but I wouldn't be getting too carried away about tonight. Need to go and beat Luxembourg now.

A Portugal team with world class players and you could see the frustration on each of their faces. So cmon, credit where credit is due.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 408409410411412 735>
  Share Topic