You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 735>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

Maybe they do and don't want to watch us park the bus for another 4 years.
Sponsored Links

Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:09pm

Anyone who thinks Stephen Kenny is a better option than McCarthy or Allardyce doesn’t understand football. 

I get the sentiment among LOI fans but that’s the equivalent of championing a foreigner who managed Sparta Prague and NEC Breda. 

McCarthy has been tried and failed. Allardyce is a corrupt fat f**k.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Also, a league of Ireland manager has already gotten an international job off the back of winning the league of Ireland and qualifying for the Europa League group stages, and he hasn't done a bad job either.

And has them playing better football (in comparison to us) with a similar (maybe lower) standard players to ourselves 
Dont think thats relevant at all
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:13pm
No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

No doubt Kenny has done well with Dundalk. But I don’t buy this “he deserves a go at the top job”at all. 

Agreed and neither do I. His credentials are world's apart from Mick or Sam. It's not even a contest.
The only way is up
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm

Exactly.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:18pm
Laughable that for every player or manager we pick we have to see how they do/did in England. Maybe we are their B team.

Croatia would give a manger from their league the national team league without even winning it.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:22pm

How did McCarthy fail exactly ? 

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:24pm

How did McCarthy fail exactly ? 

He was one of 2 managers who got us to a World Cup in 88 years of trying. Some of yis need a reality check. Getting to a World Cup is the only success we will ever achieve.

We had a good squad at the time, for a weak world cup. The chance was there to do well. Then he alienated the best player we had and didn't even notice the opposition had less players than us.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

If Barry Town won a few Welsh league titles,in an uncompetitive league,maybe even  a 2 horse race,would their manager be in the running for the Welsh National job? Genuine question 
Barry Town are not even close to the force they once were. 

Didn't Des Curley manage them?

Related image
No, but he drank in the Barry House cos there was nothin' on the telly..Wink
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
Derry City have followed Pats in backing the people's choice Clap
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
On a point of pedantry, which is unlike me... Barry Town went to the wall and a new club called Barry Town united was formed. They were promoted last year and currently lie in third, level on points with TNS and a point behind Connah's Quay Nomads.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

If Barry Town won a few Welsh league titles,in an uncompetitive league,maybe even  a 2 horse race,would their manager be in the running for the Welsh National job? Genuine question 
Barry Town are not even close to the force they once were. 

Didn't Des Curley manage them?

Related image
No, but he drank in the Barry House cos there was nothin' on the telly..Wink

Mr. Burgess managed Barrytown.

I find it bizarre clubs calling for Kenny to be manager. I have never seen the likes.  I have to say its just an attempt to usurp the Dundalk gravy train.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
When Pat Fenlon was winning leagues and doing very well in Europe,was he ever championed for the top job? I can’t recall but I’d highly doubt it 
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:42pm

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

Do you need to know a lot about football to realise that the team you are playing against only has 10 players on the pitch and that your own team now has the advantage of having an extra man?
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

This.

If you are looking solely on what both candidates have achieved recently Micks achievements are much much greater than Kennys IMO.  No silverware granted but the job he did at Ipswich was nothing short of amazing considering the financial restrictions he was under.  Look at the state they are in now.  Regardless of what peoples perception is on his style of football he is the standout candidate of the two by quite a distance.  Personally i'd be looking further afield and taking a bit more time over the decision but if it is purely down to these two then it's Mick for me.

Taking absolutely nothing away from Kenny and the fantastic work he has done at domestic level but he wouldn't be my choice for this job just yet.

Is keeping Ipswich in the Championship really better than getting Dundalk (who were in the gutter when he took over) to the group stages of the UEFA Cup? I'm not sure I'd concur with that. Mick did a good, solid job with Ipswich; but what Kenny has done with Dundalk is incredible.
We're decent enough..
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm

When Pat Fenlon was winning leagues and doing very well in Europe,was he ever championed for the top job? I can’t recall but I’d highly doubt it 

Exactly. I would be shocked to the core if Delaney went for Kenny...which he won't. Good domestic manager no doubt but not for International level.
The only way is up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 735>
  Share Topic