Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 378379380381382 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:29pm
So three separate polls all come in at 80/20 YBIG, FOOT.ie and now Ireland thinks. LOL
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

80% of the Irish public in a poll supported Kenny (90% of whom have never attended a football match and 65% of whom asked "who is Stephen Kenny?"

Was watching that programme Fever Pitch on BBC and Deavid Dein comes into the arsenal dressing room and says ''our next manager is Arsene Wenger''.

Ray Parlour says to him ''Who the fack is Arsene Wenger!''LOLLOL

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Should hope that Kenny calls up Scully today to give the guy a fighting chance and a confidence boost. Especially ahead of the likes of Shane Long, who has been a fantastic servant for ireland to be clear but not a player that you would think has the future best interests of ireland.

I think Scully has done enough to be given a shout.

I'm not really bothered re Scully being called up at this point in time, as I cant see him being utilised for the rest of the campaign and it might be a little bit unfair to lads currently in and around the squad, same for Ronan. Both should 100% be called up for the March friendlies and should be in the reckoning for the Nations League campaign kicking off in June. I have no problem if Scully is called up, I just wont be particularly surprised if he isn't, with Curtis already in there and familiar with the squad and Ogbene (who Andrews name checked in his interview) back from injury. We also have Collins, Idah, Robinson, Parrott, Connolly, Knight, Mc Grath, Horgan and Browne who can either play in a front 3 or as the AM if we go for a front 2. Now I'm not saying all those lads are worth their place ahead of Scully going forward, but I'm not sure Scully is required at this stage of the campaign.

I agree with you re Shane Long, I don't think he (or Arter) should be selected even though he has been a great servant. If actual qualification was still on the line, that would be a different matter.
Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

EXCLUSIVE - 80% of Irish public support Stephen Kenny - https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/kenny-poll-survey-1258466

This article is not to stir the pot. But it is what it is. There's no actual public split in support for Kenny. 

That can change, but as it stands ..

I wonder did they ask whether the public could give a s**t who manages Ireland.  I suspect most people are indifferent.  Even those interested in football probably care more about their English club.  They might tune in to Ireland games and want to see nice football but feel no pain when we lose.  

Either way we need to see progress in the remaining WC games.  

You clearly don’t know how polls work and have just read the headline.  They factored in the people who don’t know or don’t care about Irish football.  Of the people who had an opinion on this 80% were in favour of keeping him on and 20% were not.  Of the overall 1000 asked there was 38% in favour of keeping him on and a large minority don’t care about Irish football strongly enough to have an opinion on this matter. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Should hope that Kenny calls up Scully today to give the guy a fighting chance and a confidence boost. Especially ahead of the likes of Shane Long, who has been a fantastic servant for ireland to be clear but not a player that you would think has the future best interests of ireland.

I'm not really bothered re Scully being called up at this point in time, as I cant see him being utilised for the rest of the campaign and it might be a little bit unfair to lads currently in and around the squad, same for Ronan. Both should 100% be called up for the March friendlies and should be in the reckoning for the Nations League campaign kicking off in June. I have no problem if Scully is called up, I just wont be particularly surprised if he isn't, with Curtis already in there and familiar with the squad and Ogbene (who Andrews name checked in his interview) back from injury. We also have Collins, Idah, Robinson, Parrott, Connolly, Knight, Mc Grath, Horgan and Browne who can either play in a front 3 or as the AM if we go for a front 2. Now I'm not saying all those lads are worth their place ahead of Scully going forward, but I'm not sure Scully is required at this stage of the campaign.

I agree with you re Shane Long, I don't think he (or Arter) should be selected even though he has been a great servant. If actual qualification was still on the line, that would be a different matter.
Ah it’s a crazy call Scully definitely deserves a look in.
For Jesus sake this used to squad thrash is a joke we are not performing or scoring this lad is albeit at a low level but the next 3 games isn’t the highest level.

We need something to change some forward to come good for us it’s obvious the rest aren’t doing enough.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:33pm
Tbf I'd be as annoyed at Scully not getting included ahead of the likes of Ogbene or Horgan as I would Keane. You could technically argue Keane is a different type of player a 10 almost. 

Scully has a goal contribution a game this campaign and is only turned 22 won't be 23 until the end of this season. It's not like he's 27 and he's found his level he's got high ceiling Championship minimum you would hope. Horgan we know what he is League 1 player at best and Ogbene might be a Championship winger. Problem with Ogbene is he doesn't score. We need players that can score.

Edited by kevin100 - 30 Sep 2021 at 1:34pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

For Jesus sake this used to squad thrash is a joke we are not performing or scoring this lad is albeit at a low level but the next 3 games isn’t the highest level.

We need something to change some forward to come good for us it’s obvious the rest aren’t doing enough.

I'll qualify what I said earlier by saying that I would definitely have had Scully in ahead of Will Keane. I'd probably be more annoyed if I was Ronan Curtis being honest! Arter is a strange shout also.
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:37pm

I'll qualify what I said earlier by saying that I would definitely have had Scully in ahead of Will Keane. I'd probably be more annoyed if I was Ronan Curtis being honest! Arter is a strange shout also.
Ronan Curtis can thank his lucky starts he got a few caps for Ireland he did well for his ability at least Kenny has seen sense and left him at home
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
The only thing I can think of is training. Keane, Arter and I would say Horgan at this point are currently sitting behind Robinson, parrott, idah and connolly. Arter is behind Cullen, knight, hendrick and hourihane.

Maybe they are players that have a positive influence on training. They've got experience at various levels.

But Will Keane... I dont know what he's thinking there. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:09pm

The only thing I can think of is training. Keane, Arter and I would say Horgan at this point are currently sitting behind Robinson, parrott, idah and connolly. Arter is behind Cullen, knight, hendrick and hourihane.

Maybe they are players that have a positive influence on training. They've got experience at various levels.

But Will Keane... I dont know what he's thinking there. 
If he is bring in lads for training then he may aswell pack his bags now we need player than can make a difference come match day.

You have a coaching staff to keep this going at training.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:16pm
I think Kenny deserves a bit of credit for keeping the door open for players like Arter should they come into form and not be afraid to make totally leftfield decisions. I did not see the Will Keane one coming at  all but thinking about it again, it could prove to be a really good decision and may even help Idah's development having a more experienced player in that forward role in the squad. 

He should at least be given a chance and I'd expect him to have a good attitude especially when Kenny has called him up. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think Kenny deserves a bit of credit for keeping the door open for players like Arter should they come into form and not be afraid to make totally leftfield decisions. I did not see the Will Keane one coming at  all but thinking about it again, it could prove to be a really good decision and may even help Idah's development having a more experienced player in that forward role in the squad. 

He should at least be given a chance and I'd expect him to have a good attitude especially when Kenny has called him up. 

And that’s fair enough but tell me this what has Arter done to deserve including 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm

And that’s fair enough but tell me this what has Arter done to deserve including 

I wouldn't have included him personally, just on age grounds as much as anything, but its hardly a big deal. Molumby and Browne are suspended - Taylor is just coming back from a l/t injury and Coventry is captain of the Under 21s.  
Idah Dream!
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:56pm

EXCLUSIVE - 80% of Irish public support Stephen Kenny - https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/kenny-poll-survey-1258466

This article is not to stir the pot. But it is what it is. There's no actual public split in support for Kenny. 

how can 80% of the public support the manager, when the poll says more than a third(35%) have no interest in football?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

how can 80% of the public support the manager, when the poll says more than a third(35%) have no interest in football?

When you exclude the 35% and 5% that voted 'Don't know', 80% of those who voted support him.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:10pm

I wouldn't have included him personally, just on age grounds as much as anything, but its hardly a big deal. Molumby and Browne are suspended - Taylor is just coming back from a l/t injury and Coventry is captain of the Under 21s.  

And McCarthy is injured again, too.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

When you exclude the 35% and 5% that voted 'Don't know', 80% of those who voted support him.

So, when you exclude 40% of the voters he has 80% support... f**ks sake are we in Belarus all of a sudden?! LOL

Same sh*te with the foot.ie poll quoted earlier as 80% support - when you look at it actually most were just saying wait until the end of the campaign to decide, that is in no way 80% support for Kenny. Hardly any were saying definitely keep him on beyond the end of the year.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Sep 2021 at 3:15pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm

Nothing which is why I wasn't making the argument that he should be included. There's nothing wrong with keeping the door open for players should they come into form and they're not over the hill. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 378379380381382 735>
  Share Topic