You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

How many full time professionals do NI even have?
I believe I read recently that Baraclough has a grand total of 42 senior f-t professionals available to him, all in Eng/Scot/Wales, bar 33 y.o.. Lafferty slumming it in Cyprus. That's the lot.

This includes a dozen or so playiing in Lge Two or the Scottish Championship, some of whom have never played for NI, and likely never will. We have 4 players currently at PL clubs, one of whom, Lewis, can't get a game with Newcastle.

Here is the starting XI which went toe-to-toe with Switzerland in a 0-0 draw in our last game, at the end of a week were we had beaten Lithuania 4-1 (WCQ) and Esronia 1-0:(FR), both away.

Peacock-Farrell - Burnley Reserve, currently on loan to Lge One Sheff Wed;

Smith - 30 y.o. RB at Hearts, playing Wing Back
Ballard - yet to make his Arsenal debut, on loan at Millwall
Cathcart - 32 y.o. at Watford
Brown - Cardiff utility player, doesn't always start for Big Mick
Lewis - Newcastle reserve LB, playing WB

McCann - just signed for PNE for £1.5m from St.Johnstone
Davis - 36 y.o. at Rangers
Thompson - Stoke squad player

Lavery - signed for Blackpool from Linfield in the summer
Washington - Charlton Ath in Lge One

Tbf, we were missing J.Evans (Leicester) and Dallas (Leeds) through injury.

As against that, our 4 subs used were Bradley (18.y.o. with one cup appearance for L'pool), Saville (Millwall), Jones (Wigan) and Charles (Accrington).

Very well managed side.

Compare the atmosphere of Windsor Park compared to the Aviva.

Windsor Park has been a tougher fixture for the last 6 years now.
Thanks.

Edited by Territorial - 29 Sep 2021 at 10:41pm
Sponsored Links

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

How many full time professionals do NI even have?
I believe I read recently that Baraclough has a grand total of 42 senior f-t professionals available to him, all in Eng/Scot/Wales, bar 33 y.o.. Lafferty slumming it in Cyprus. That's the lot.

This includes a dozen or so playiing in Lge Two or the Scottish Championship, some of whom have never played for NI, and likely never will. We have 4 players currently at PL clubs, one of whom, Lewis, can't get a game with Newcastle.

Here is the starting XI which went toe-to-toe with Switzerland in a 0-0 draw in our last game, at the end of a week were we had beaten Lithuania 4-1 (WCQ) and Esronia 1-0:(FR), both away.

Peacock-Farrell - Burnley Reserve, currently on loan to Lge One Sheff Wed;

Smith - 30 y.o. RB at Hearts, playing Wing Back
Ballard - yet to make his Arsenal debut, on loan at Millwall
Cathcart - 32 y.o. at Watford
Brown - Cardiff utility player, doesn't always start for Big Mick
Lewis - Newcastle reserve LB, playing WB

McCann - just signed for PNE for £1.5m from St.Johnstone
Davis - 36 y.o. at Rangers
Thompson - Stoke squad player

Lavery - signed for Blackpool from Linfield in the summer
Washington - Charlton Ath in Lge One

Tbf, we were missing J.Evans (Leicester) and Dallas (Leeds) through injury.

As against that, our 4 subs used were Bradley (18.y.o. with one cup appearance for L'pool), Saville (Millwall), Jones (Wigan) and Charles (Accrington).

Very well managed side.

Compare the atmosphere of Windsor Park compared to the Aviva.

Windsor Park has been a tougher fixture for the last 6 years now.
Thanks.

There it is.

Look at that XI.....

And were asking too much to beat Azerbaijan?

Edited by B6 6HE - 29 Sep 2021 at 10:58pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:02pm
When you’re all finished sucking each other off there, has it always been rosy in the NI garden!???? Was Michael O Neill an instant success? 
Kenny in Kenny out, whatever, the rewriting of history here has to stop, it’s laughable. Lads saying Staunton was a better manager than Kenny is another example. 
Either a few contributors to this this thread are 15 or they need to give up the glue 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:13pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Cultist devotion LOL

If you honestly believe this you’re a weird freak.

There is a Kenny cult.

All form of logical reasoning is gone. It is cultist

Cry more freak.

Ok weird freak.

MOD ??
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I do like those who sit on the fence or undecided  , now a good few but most of us on here are one way or the other .

Now if you dont worry about results is one thing but will the borad see it another way . 

?? What  

Read that back to yourself there & try again maybe. 
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The Championship is a stronger league than most European leagues such as Belgium, Norway, possibly even Holland now. 

If Luxembourg are any good they wouldn't be ranked where they are or the results they have gotten over the last 2 years.

We should be beating them. Simple as that.  Anyone arguing otherwise is a radicalised Kenny cult member.

We have an embarrassment of riches ourselves.  Champions League stalwarts Anto Stokes, Cillian Sheridan, Darron Gibson, Caoimhin Kelleher all surplus to requirements with the EIRE

The irony of this is that Gibson was the last Irish player to score a Champions League goal and that was 10 years ago.. I would think there are very few countries in Europe who haven't had a CL scorer in that time..  
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:55am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Or maybe you think we should be beating Luxembourg, and also at the same time think that Kenny could do with more time? 

77 new posts on this thread but this is most sensible one.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:54am
EXCLUSIVE - 80% of Irish public support Stephen Kenny - https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/kenny-poll-survey-1258466

This article is not to stir the pot. But it is what it is. There's no actual public split in support for Kenny. 

That can change, but as it stands ..
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

EXCLUSIVE - 80% of Irish public support Stephen Kenny - https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/kenny-poll-survey-1258466

This article is not to stir the pot. But it is what it is. There's no actual public split in support for Kenny. 

I’m not surprised. The vocal minority make a lot of noise.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:04am
No siree absolutely nothing to see here, turns and closes the door
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
RTE SPORT HEADLINE

McGrath: Kenny not the man to lead Ireland forward

PAUL MC GRATH QUOTE - SAME ARTICLE
"but I have to say, it’s my belief that Stephen might not be the person to take us on to that level where we are starting to win things again."

"I think he has a tough job. Maybe some of the players aren’t as good as players we have had in the past, and I understand every country goes through that, but it would be nice to get a couple of wins and I hope Stephen does."

My problem is with RTE and the headline here because it's not what Mc Grath actually said. I actually agree with what he said i.e. Kenny might not be the person. I also hope he does get the couple of wins he probably needs at this stage, so I don't think Mc Grath has said anything particularly controversial here, yet the headline infers that Mc Grath has said that Kenny should go. He also sayd he hopes Kenny proves him wrong, as do I.
Idah Dream!
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:25am

I wonder did they ask whether the public could give a s**t who manages Ireland.  I suspect most people are indifferent.  Even those interested in football probably care more about their English club.  They might tune in to Ireland games and want to see nice football but feel no pain when we lose.  

Either way we need to see progress in the remaining WC games.  
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:33am

Interesting sample. Let's hope that the backing Kenny is receiving bears fruit. 
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:48am
80% of the Irish public in a poll supported Kenny (90% of whom have never attended a football match and 65% of whom asked "who is Stephen Kenny?"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

80% of the Irish public in a poll supported Kenny (90% of whom have never attended a football match and 65% of whom asked "who is Stephen Kenny?"

My guess is that the majority of the anti Kenny brigade actually fall into that cohort.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 11:58am

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

My guess is that the majority of the anti Kenny brigade actually fall into that cohort.

Can only speak for people I know. Friends who have a vested interest in irish football all year round and how our players are performing for their clubs are generally behind giving Kenny more time and seeing the positives like young players given the time and doing well, keeping ball much better etc.
Friends were ireland only really comes on the radar when we are playing and they watch the match focus on negatives:
Kenny is out of depth, listen to him talk.
Face it we are sh*t.
Put Duffy upfront and play the ball to him that's are only chance 
Etc.
That's all well and good getting someone else in good with the media and going back to hoofball to a big man to try and change the fortunes but is it better in the long term? Majority of people with those types of attitudes are generally just looking at the short term.

There is a middle ground of course where its like, giving youth a chance is good and keeping the ball better is good but maybe not just sure about Kenny as the man.  That for me is fair enough and definitely results are important and bedding in period is over. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 30 Sep 2021 at 11:59am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm

Fans do have a say but they don't hire or fire a manager .

Not sure why people on here just pan certain comments ex players make, as lets face it they have a better idea how football works then most of us on here .

One of my favs was a comment from Bob Lord when asked about football today ( or 40 years ago at the time ) he said " I have forgotten more about football then you will ever know "

Classic Bob .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:26pm
Should hope that Kenny calls up Scully today to give the guy a fighting chance and a confidence boost. Especially ahead of the likes of Shane Long, who has been a fantastic servant for ireland to be clear but not a player that you would think has the future best interests of ireland.

I think Scully has done enough to be given a shout.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 735>
  Share Topic