Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
will Chris hughton do the job on a much reduced salary ?? I doubt it .

Bringing in a new man is not the solution we are where we are because of 20 years of the Fai being run as a personal fiefdom which has left us lagging behind every other country in terms of development of the game and proper structures.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

To the forum members who would be happy to see the back on Kenny - football is entertainment, it's show business.
The football was so bad under MON people stopped watching.
Wasn't much better under McCarthy.
Now under Kenny more people want to see the team play. They will buy tickets to the Aviva.
We might not qualify for as many tournaments as we have in the past, in fact no way will we, so that money is not going to be coming in.
But we wouldn't qualify with MON or McCarthy or another "pragmatic" manager either. We just don't have the attacking players. 3/4 of the team was very decent against Serbia, but McGrath and Browne were not up to it, and I'm not sure yet about Idah. They're not up to the sort of counter-attacking football Kenny seems to favour.

The people on here will go regardless but nobody else is going to support an Ireland team that cant win a competitive match. Ticket sales are going to he the opposite of what you think.

And we certainly would have a good chance of qualifying for Euro 2024 if we had a good manager like Hughton in.
Christ on a bike. Says it all really. 

We didnt sell out the Azerbaijan game with half a stadiums capacity on a Saturday evening, probably the best kick off time we have had in years. If we are losing games the average joe isn't going to be coming to the Aviva. We have had plenty of examples of this through the years. Thinking otherwise is naive in the extreme.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:21am
There are still people who don't want to mix because of Covid so the idea of going to a Stadium wasn't appealing. Parents with young kids mightn't have been keen to have them mixing in a big crowd.

Can't compare things until such time as Covid is out of the reckoning. 

We wouldn't have sold out Georgia in the past either. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm
I think whatever the score is with Azerbaijan the gate we have at home to Qatar will tell it's own story .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm
No to Hughton thanks.

He had a massive budget at Newcastle and Brighton compared to the rest of the league in the Championship

ask Brighton fans if they regret for one second getting rid of him
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:18pm
also I think putting an expectation of 3rd place on Kenny at this moment in time is harsh, its out of our hands almost.

Agree that 3rd should have been the aim pre qualifying but not now. We can beat Lux and Azer and still finish behind Lux

Quote nobody else is going to support an Ireland team that cant win a competitive match

a nation of glory hunters!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:24pm
As much as I think finishing anything below third is unacceptable, if we finish 4th in the group and the players are still 100% behind Kenny to be in charge for the NL 2022 & EURO 2024 campaign, then like most supporters  I'd would have no issue with that. 

I do think the outcome of the next 3 games will be hugely defining whether the players have confidence in Kenny and then stick with him.

I think failure to beat either Azerbaijan and Luxembourg could not be justified no matter how pro-Kenny someone might be and will be another nail in his coffin tbh. 

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Sep 2021 at 12:26pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think whatever the score is with Azerbaijan the gate we have at home to Qatar will tell it's own story .

It will indeed, it will tell us that FIFA forcing a friendly on us against a team that absolutely nobody has any interest in whatsoever is a stupid f**king idea. It's a disgrace that Qatar are even hosting the World Cup imo so I wouldnt attend this game even if we were topping the group. There are plenty of reasonable arguments for dismissing Kenny, the attendance at the Qatar game will not be one of them. Defeat away to Azerbaijan however will certainly leave the knives sharpened.

Let's see how we get on away to Azerbaijan and how many attend the game vs Portugal.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As much as I think finishing anything below third is unacceptable, if we finish 4th in the group and the players are still 100% behind Kenny to be in charge for the NL 2022 & EURO 2024 campaign, then like most supporters  I'd would have no issue with that. 

I do think the outcome of the next 3 games will be hugely defining whether the players have confidence in Kenny and then stick with him.

I think failure to beat either Azerbaijan and Luxembourg could not be justified no matter how pro-Kenny someone might be and will be another nail in his coffin tbh. 

Honestly, it will just make his job harder to justify himself if he ends up on two points. His case would have to be based entirely on player development, future engagement, and a clear roadmap that convinces the powers that be that he is right to continue in the job.

While I think keeping him for the NL is vital, if those fixtures go particularly badly, and he finishes the WC Qualifiers poorly, it would be doubling down on something that has been two years in progress if we were to give him another year.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I agree with this, hopefully we can win away against Azer and Lux fail to do the same against them. That would probably leave our final fixture away to Lux as a decider for 3rd spot in the group with us likely requiring a win. In any case, imo it will be difficult to argue for Kenny's termination if we win both remaining away games regardless of other results in the group. We can win both games and still finish 4th, so I dont think the final position in the table is pertinent to the argument at this stage.
Idah Dream!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:47pm
So we need to sack Kenny to appease the barstoolers?

Well that & the anti-SK meme has me convinced!! 
#kennyout 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

There will be no one at it Murphs a nothing game .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

So we need to sack Kenny to appease the barstoolers?

Well that & the anti-SK meme has me convinced!! 
#kennyout 

Vital I think. These are the people who are the very heart of Irish football

Viva Ronaldo! 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:56pm
It has already been reported that the Qatar attendance will have a bearing on the decision, if it is poor it will suggest that the wider support needed to fill the stadium is not behind him which will have financial implications for the FAI - potentially they will not be able to afford to not sack him.

The attendance at the Portugal game is irrelevant, everyone knows we can sell out for Portugal because of who will likely be playing for the opposition - a sell out there would have nothing to do with Kenny other than the crowd might make their voices heard if it goes particularly badly.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It has already been reported that the Qatar attendance will have a bearing on the decision, if it is poor it will suggest that the wider support needed to fill the stadium is not behind him which will have financial implications for the FAI - potentially they will not be able to afford to not sack him.

The attendance at the Portugal game is irrelevant, everyone knows we can sell out for Portugal because of who will likely be playing for the opposition - a sell out there would have nothing to do with Kenny other than the crowd might make their voices heard if it goes particularly badly.

Reported where?

The game is on a Tuesday night - which will be extremely difficult for people out side the Dublin area to attend.

It also me be considered that, nearly every amateur football club in the country trains Tuesday and Thursday.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
We're up to 373 pages of pretty much a circular argument that will not be agreed on.

I think the most painful argument is that we haven't won games so sacking the manager should fix that. No other circumstances are considered.

For me, this is the biggest transition ireland have ever undertaken and I'm getting old.i remember very well Ray Houghton looping a header over Shilton in Stuttgart . (On TV to be clear) 

We have a number of players that should be still in the u21s that are clearly being fasttracked out of necessity. Idah, parrott, omobamidele, bazunu, knight. Etc.

We've always in the past had a spine of a team that would pretty much pick itself. Keane x2 Duff, Dunne, Given, Quinn etc 

We just don't have that now. Whichever way your team selection works you don't think - well this player needs to play. 

I think defence is improving in this area on a positive note.

Edited by Left foot - 16 Sep 2021 at 1:12pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well imo thats ridiculous, as I stated earlier, I wouldnt be attending this game even if we were topping the group as imo it is politically objectionable to do so - thats on FIFA. not Kenny, not even the FAI. Plus it's a Tuesday evening kick off for an entirely meaningless fixture and I'd say 99% of fans couldnt name a player on their team.
Idah Dream!
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We're up to 373 pages of pretty much a circular argument that will not be agreed on.

I think the most painful argument is that we haven't won games so sacking the manager should fix that. No other circumstances are considered.

For me, this is the biggest transition ireland have ever undertaken and I'm getting old.i remember very well Ray Houghton looping a header over Shilton in Stuttgart . (On TV to be clear) 

We have a number of players that should be still in the u21s that are clearly being fasttracked out of necessity. Idah, parrott, omobamidele, bazunu, knight. Etc.

We've always in the past had a spine of a team that would pretty much pick itself. Keane x2 Duff, Dunne, Given, Quinn etc 

We just don't have that now. Whichever way your team selection works you don't think - well this player needs to play. 

I think defence is improving in this area on a positive note.
How is the defence improving?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 735>
  Share Topic