Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

The home fans are always a real litmus test. I think on Saturday the team and staff are going to get a reception that they deserve. All fans are fickle but I think Irish fans are always pretty fair when they can see their team trying to do something and putting in 100-percent effort.

I think the Irish players really need that reception on Saturday. And they do deserve it.

Spot on Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Well you might have to accept it, because with qualifying out of the question, the next 5 games are more about continuing the rebuild than getting points. Once you don't qualify, it doesn't really matter whether you get 20 points, 10 points, or 0 points, or lost the playoff, the bottom line is you haven't qualified.

We beat Andorra, it's not exactly Stuttgart 88, but it was our first win of any kind in 18 months. Since then we've played well in Hungary and Portugal. It gave us something to build on. The biggest thing from last night isn't that we lost the game, but the profile of the squad and the performance they gave. The win at all costs, no time for losers model has seen no stability in the management teams, and musical chairs in the FAI, who are up to their neck in debt. So I'm sorry but there's no alternative but to continue what we've started and see it through. Finland have done it, Macedonia have done it, Iceland did it, Belgium did it better than anyone else, we have to go through it now. 

My mind is made up on the Andorra game in terms of its material benefits outside of the win, which stopped the rot. It was a win, that was it. Hungary was a genuine improvement against a useful European team on their turf.

I'm not asking for win at all costs, I accept that change and transition is likely to weaken the side in terms of its ability to win matches, or at least not to be beaten. But there are teams out there that even if we are in the middle of a transition period that we ought to be beating, and at least not being beaten by. And that includes the likes of Luxembourg on home soil. It is like what Little Vicky said in the tap-dancing episode of The Simpsons, when she said something along the lines of parents expecting a swipe at professionalism, even in an amateur performance. There is a floor to how poor our results can go, and there is no way we can be progressing if we fall below that.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:50pm
What has this thread turned into, f**king idiots LOL

Here we go again
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

People are acting like we won the game and that anybody who doubted Kenny has been proven wrong, after yet another defeat. We played very well but we still lost, again. 14 games, 1 win (against a team of semi pros in a friendly).

He still hasnt won a competitive game and we've had a situation twice before this where we raised our level against good opposition (Slovakia, Serbia) - got nothing out of the games and followed it up with a series of rubbish performances. It's like groundhog day here today, the exact same stuff was said after those two games and both times we followed it up with rubbish performances and damaging defeats.

He needs to win games now. At some point there has to be actual concrete evidence of progress, in the form of results and points, 4 points from the next 2 games and that would show that there is a future here with him.

There's a huge pro-Kenny bias on this particular forum compared to other Irish football supporter outlets, we all know this and we know the reason why.

Last night was a decent night for him and we should absolutely be giving him and his staff credit for the performance. At the same time we need to be winning games that aren't friendlies against minnows and we have yet to do that. 

I’ll tell you why. For the most part, people on this forum care about Irish football and want to see the team develop and evolve. People on this forum actually go to games. Facebook and Twitter are full of arseholes who don’t care about the team, constantly sl*g off the team for being sh*te because their football experiences are based solely on watching EPL matches down the boozer. Read the comments on Facebook or Twitter for any post on the FAI page for anything related to the senior men’s team. Full of absolute gobsh*tes.

Excellent post. Clap
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

People are acting like we won the game and that anybody who doubted Kenny has been proven wrong, after yet another defeat. We played very well but we still lost, again. 14 games, 1 win (against a team of semi pros in a friendly).

He still hasnt won a competitive game and we've had a situation twice before this where we raised our level against good opposition (Slovakia, Serbia) - got nothing out of the games and followed it up with a series of rubbish performances. It's like groundhog day here today, the exact same stuff was said after those two games and both times we followed it up with rubbish performances and damaging defeats.

He needs to win games now. At some point there has to be actual concrete evidence of progress, in the form of results and points, 4 points from the next 2 games and that would show that there is a future here with him.

There's a huge pro-Kenny bias on this particular forum compared to other Irish football supporter outlets, we all know this and we know the reason why.

Last night was a decent night for him and we should absolutely be giving him and his staff credit for the performance. At the same time we need to be winning games that aren't friendlies against minnows and we have yet to do that. 

I’ll tell you why. For the most part, people on this forum care about Irish football and want to see the team develop and evolve. People on this forum actually go to games. Facebook and Twitter are full of arseholes who don’t care about the team, constantly sl*g off the team for being sh*te because their football experiences are based solely on watching EPL matches down the boozer. Read the comments on Facebook or Twitter for any post on the FAI page for anything related to the senior men’s team. Full of absolute gobsh*tes.

Excellent post. Clap

I concur but the fickle fans have a say

The Azerbaijan game is higher stakes than what it appears. I do think its a must win game.

geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:05pm
I've seen a few mention needing 4 or 6 points from the next two games, I'd be happy enough with a win on Saturday and a decent performance against Serbia even if it leads to a loss. 

I think 3 games in 6 days is a big ask for this squad. The lads put in a huge effort last night and a few of them will be feeling it on Saturday, by the Serbia game it will be a real struggle- so it's either ring the changes or go with tired legs.
Serbia on the other hand had a handy game against Qatar and Luxembourg on Saturday so can save themselves for Tuesday.

This isn't a criticism of Kenny, there just isn't massive depth in the squad to rotate like we would need to for 3 games and any manager would have the same problem. Anything more than 3 points would be massively impressive
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

My mind is made up on the Andorra game in terms of its material benefits outside of the win, which stopped the rot. It was a win, that was it. Hungary was a genuine improvement against a useful European team on their turf.

I'm not asking for win at all costs, I accept that change and transition is likely to weaken the side in terms of its ability to win matches, or at least not to be beaten. But there are teams out there that even if we are in the middle of a transition period that we ought to be beating, and at least not being beaten by. And that includes the likes of Luxembourg on home soil. It is like what Little Vicky said in the tap-dancing episode of The Simpsons, when she said something along the lines of parents expecting a swipe at professionalism, even in an amateur performance. There is a floor to how poor our results can go, and there is no way we can be progressing if we fall below that.

Luxembourg have 6 points more than we have atm. If you saw their results in the NL, you would have known that they're on the way up and an awkward opponent for us to face at this time, so where the divine right to beat Luxembourg comes from, I don't know. Similarly, Azerbaijan have made Serbia and Portugal sweat when they played them, so there's nothing to suggest we'll have it any easier either. 

This campaign is not about results, and putting pressure to get them isn't doing anyone any good. We don't have must win games atm. We have 5 dead rubber games left to build a team, bring more players through, get them to pass a ball properly, and put up credible displays. If we get a few results, fine. If we don't so what, we're not qualifying anyway. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 4:26am

Luxembourg have 6 points more than we have atm. If you saw their results in the NL, you would have known that they're on the way up and an awkward opponent for us to face at this time, so where the divine right to beat Luxembourg comes from, I don't know. Similarly, Azerbaijan have made Serbia and Portugal sweat when they played them, so there's nothing to suggest we'll have it any easier either. 

This campaign is not about results, and putting pressure to get them isn't doing anyone any good. We don't have must win games atm. We have 5 dead rubber games left to build a team, bring more players through, get them to pass a ball properly, and put up credible displays. If we get a few results, fine. If we don't so what, we're not qualifying anyway. 

The 'not about results' mantra is at best an exculpation for failing to qualify or in some cases not getting results when otherwise you might get them. Its not a freedom to lose 100% of fixtures, and then claim that there is some sort of rebuild going on, when you are tumbling down the rankings, and failing to maintain any sort of competitiveness. How can there be development if you are losing game after game?

If we dont get results it impacts our rankings, and the overall mentality of the team as they take the field. Getting a few credible results is just a new age version of what went before, only without the competitive streak. They may be 'dead rubber' insofar as qualification is concerned, but if by the end we have won a single game across all competitions  in the past 24 months (the Andorra game), then the argument that the system etc is all a massive rebuild will stand on very thin ice as far as most fans are concerned.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 6:30am
Agree with Hetfield. 

Planning is applying different standards to different managers depending on if he likes them or not. It was all about the results when Trap was in charge but it doesn't matter about results now. No matter what O'Neill did or impressive results he achieved, not an ounce of credit was given because he didn't like him. LOL

It doesn't have to be one or the other with Kenny. We don't need to incinerate every short term aim  in the hope that we'll be in a better place for the next qualification campaign. Other teams may improve too so you can't solely depend on that.

We went through a transitional period under Mick in the late 90s but even with the unprecedented circumstances Kenny has had to face, there is still a base expectation that we should at least finish 3rd if we're not going to be relatively competitive for second spot in this campaign. 

Finishing in 4th place would be more acceptable if we had a stronger rival team like Austria, Slovakia, Hungary etc to battle it out with for 3rd spot behind Serbia & Portugal. 

I think it would also be a huge blow psychologically if we don't finish third especially among the players belief in the manager and I'm sure Kenny recognises that fact too. 

We've our work cut out for us as both Luxembourg and Azerbaijan are no whipping boys anymore but we should have enough to scrape it. Might need Serbia to do us a favour though. 

Edited by irishmufc - 03 Sep 2021 at 6:35am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Embarrassing stuff here really.

Say what you like Murph but maybe try stick to rational debate and dont attack SKs character
OK,  he was given a two year contract by JD and so far if you look at the stats his team has won one game in 14 , now that was against Andorra . 
Is that good enough.?
He has changed everything going to modern football and maybe over the last 3 games some say it is starting to  bear fruit .
Now to be very honest this game is about winners , as losers get the sack simple really , as football is very cutting at the top. 
Again we can debate all we want but come November we will find out if the FAI will renew his contract , its up to them .
If he does leave can anyone see him getting a better job than manger of our national team.?

Murph you on holliers at the moment?  Where did you hear? Might see you Sat but I will be driving.  Meet you for a pint and a
debate on Tuesday.
Yep flying back Saturday morning . 
Now have to agree in parts what some have said about would we have played any different with an other manager at the helm which is impossible to say. But what most of don't know is what is happening  in the  background ? Why did Duff and Kelly leave ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 7:51am
I couldn't give a toss why Duff and Kelly left tbh. 

I know Duff is revered by the Irish support in general but I think he let Kenny down when he was really under the most severe pressure irrespective of his differences with the FAI. Duff left at the worst possible time for a manager under pressure. Kelly as well. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:35am
How long are Duff & Kelly gone now ffs? As Muff said, both let Kenny down but both have been replaced & by the looks of it by 2 really good coaches 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:36am

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Embarrassing stuff here really.

Say what you like Murph but maybe try stick to rational debate and dont attack SKs character
OK,  he was given a two year contract by JD and so far if you look at the stats his team has won one game in 14 , now that was against Andorra . 
Is that good enough.?
He has changed everything going to modern football and maybe over the last 3 games some say it is starting to  bear fruit .
Now to be very honest this game is about winners , as losers get the sack simple really , as football is very cutting at the top. 
Again we can debate all we want but come November we will find out if the FAI will renew his contract , its up to them .
If he does leave can anyone see him getting a better job than manger of our national team.?

Murph you on holliers at the moment?  Where did you hear? Might see you Sat but I will be driving.  Meet you for a pint and a
debate on Tuesday.
Yep flying back Saturday morning . 
Now have to agree in parts what some have said about would we have played any different with an other manager at the helm which is impossible to say. But what most of don't know is what is happening  in the  background ? Why did Duff and Kelly leave ?

I think it is fairly well known why both left Murph. 

Duff is a loss but not sure about Kelly and great to have Kiely in. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

So finishing with ZERO points in a group containing Luxembourg and Azerbaijan could represent progress? See a doctor. 

It's crazy obviously, but some people have backed this horse now to such an extent that they're unwilling to consider any outcome to be anything rather than a success regardless of how much of a failure it is.

Northern Ireland with their one Premier League starter went to Lithuania last night and stuck four past them but somehow it will be a massive success if we end up with anything other than zero points from four games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

It's hard to take that kind of bollocks seriously and they're actually doing Kenny no favours at all coming out with that crap.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:33am
is Duff a loss? he jumped ship almost as soon as he joined. not great commitment. maybes hes not that big a loss.
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:36am

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

So finishing with ZERO points in a group containing Luxembourg and Azerbaijan could represent progress? See a doctor. 

It's crazy obviously, but some people have backed this horse now to such an extent that they're unwilling to consider any outcome to be anything rather than a success regardless of how much of a failure it is.

Northern Ireland with their one Premier League starter went to Lithuania last night and stuck four past them but somehow it will be a massive success if we end up with anything other than zero points from four games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

It's hard to take that kind of bollocks seriously and they're actually doing Kenny no favours at all coming out with that crap.

yes but the difference is and the hope is rather that this team could potentially mature into a really good one. look how young it is right now and the players we are hoping who will come through. if it goes like we all hope we could be well set for a good few years to come. now we will by the looks of it have to suffer a bit in the meantime but hopefully hopefully all these games will stand to them in a few years to come. I'm not worried about N.Ireland but i think we may meet them on the way down over the next few years. I am only interested in us anyway.
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
Just using them as an example. We are building for the future obviously, but the way to show that we're progressing with the project is to win a few games, not talk down our chances every time we play someone who isn't Andorra.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

is Duff a loss? he jumped ship almost as soon as he joined. not great commitment. maybes hes not that big a loss.

Not in the slightest bit is he a loss when you consider who we replaced him with. A champions league winning coach whose working with top class players and alongside a top class coach.

Duff was at Celtic with Lennon and is now with Shels U17s is it? We upgraded massively by Duff walking away, and honestly could be the best thing that happened to Kenny as it seems we've changed for the better since Barry came into the set up.

Edited by J89 - 03 Sep 2021 at 10:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 735>
  Share Topic