You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:59am
The bad luck thing is clearly bollocks, yes you can get one off bad calls here and there but over 13 games or whatever it is you make your own luck.

What he needs now is wins, two of them. Enough of moral victories and performances. That was fine last night because, in fairness, it was Portugal and they're much better than us. But these next two games are two very winnable home games. So we need to win them to build on the positives of last night. Azerbaijan are sh*te and Serbia are exactly the kind of team we should be aiming to beat and going after in front of a home crowd.

If we get another sensible team selection and formation like we did last night we can absolutely win these two games.
Sponsored Links

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:29am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Its my opinion that Kenny is cursed.  If that was Jack, Mick or Trap that was a win.  Unlucky Alf strikes again. 

Which top seed did those managers beat away from home? It's not like there wasn't late away heartbreak for them too.. we're quite good at it! 
O’Neill was the master of scoring late and big scalps
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:31am
brilliant performance, best in many years. So many positives. Shame we lost it at the end. Kennys stock has gone up a huge amount after that
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

this luck talk is bollocks. It's not real. You'll be telling me he's the wrong star sign next.

All a pile of sh*t.

Serbia won with a goal in the 86th minute, Luxembourg scored in the 85th min, Portugal in the 96th min. Three one goal margin defeats with very late goals.

Where the f**k are you plucking those minutes from?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:40am
In 2-3 years time we will all be hailing the work Kenny has put into building this team.

If we lost 2-1 last night with the likes of Whelan, Brady, Long, McClean (from the start) nothing would have been learned. 

Instead we're seeing a group of 19-21 year olds learn their craft at international level against one of the best sides in the world (on paper) and legitimately creating chances and impressing.

Consider some of our young talents who didn't play last night, the likes of Parrott, Kelleher, Nathan Collins etc. There is a seriously talented young spine developing and by the time the EURO 2024 qualifiers come around we will be in a good place.

Trust the process.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:53am
As long as there's evidence of progress, FAI aren't getting rid of him. 

The last thing they want to do is press the reset button again on another manager, who potentially might not be successful.

Last night was very encouraging, but we need to see that performance on Saturday and Tuesday. 

As gutting as the result was, we have to step back a bit and pull the positives. The world and their granny including Irish fans only saw one thing happening last night and that was a comprehensive defeat by at least 2 goals. 

Kenny, while not flawless decision-making, showed tactical nous and a bravery that we just haven't seen under previous managers. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:59am
The team were playing away to one of the better teams in the world with one of the best players that has ever played.

We defended well which was an absolute must but we also created some decent chances (not just set pieces)

Rebuilding this team was always going to be an undesirable task but we can certainly say that players like Bazunu, oshea, mcgrath, idah, connolly and Cullen will be better players for this experience. They've all got the 'experience' now to play big games.

Anyone have questionmarks over selecting Bazunu now? 

This campaign needs to be used to get the young lads up to speed and ready for the next, getting Molumby, knight, parrott, Nathan Collins some time on the pitch should be the focus.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:59am
Have subjected myself to the social-media reactions to the match and it's somewhat encouraging to hear that most seem to think it was a very good performance by the players and coaching staff.
Plenty to be upbeat about.

Now there's always going to be the negative types who don't even know a match is on until just bfeore KO and they shout out about the manager as they don't know him from the PL or whatever.

It's up to those who are in this for the long-term to drown those fools out.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
The home fans are always a real litmus test. I think on Saturday the team and staff are going to get a reception that they deserve. All fans are fickle but I think Irish fans are always pretty fair when they can see their team trying to do something and putting in 100-percent effort.

I think the Irish players really need that reception on Saturday. And they do deserve it.

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:06am
No other manager that the heap of moaners have been calling for the last few years would've picked any of the lads under 25 last night, and for that alone Kenny deserves massive credit. Whether he's the manager that reaps the benefits or not, we'll be thanking him in 5 or 6 years when these lads are seasoned internationals. 

His in-game management has been poor. I can understand leaving the side that was doing so well against Portugal out there for as long as possible, and I was actually happy with the McClean switch as I thought he would provide some defensive cover for Doherty. That side had been a problem all night though, even before McClean came on.

We absolutely have to win on Saturday now. I don't care if it's a sh*te, scrappy 1-0. Just get the 3 points.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:07am
I've a feeling the apointment of Anthony Barry has made a big difference.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I've a feeling the apointment of Anthony Barry has made a big difference.

It's impossible to know for definite, but that's my feeling too. There's a pragmatism about the setup now that just wasn't there in the early days. Kenny pretty much said in his early press conferences that we wouldn't play two up front and we wouldn't play counter attacking football. The counter attacking football comment in particular amazed me at the time, it made no sense. 

So something has definitely changed for the better, we look to be set up to our strengths now, not set up based on an individual's preferred formation that doesn't take account of the players available to us. Credit to Barry if it is indeed down to him, and to be fair credit also to Kenny for getting him involved.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:55am
Yeah, can you definitely see Kenny has changed his tune regarding his style of play and there is more pragmatism. at least he's able to put his own pride to one side. plenty of managers who would just stick to their guns regardless. 

Anyone who's willing to hold.their hands up, learn and adapt in this world, always has half a chance.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 11:06am
Slovakia playoff game was one of his first and we were setup very well so I don’t buy this change of tune stuff regarding Kenny.  This is just a line going to be used now to justify posters complimenting Kenny in some way, by saying he has decided to listen to us pragmatist. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 11:14am
Yeah I've seen quite a bit of the usual Kenny out suspects reverting to how good it is to see he has changed his approach in some way and he has 'seen the error of his ways' bullsh*t. Not specifically talking about this forum.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:00pm
Last night was an extremely coherent performance - our organisation off the ball was fantastic and for most of the game we stopped Portugal's danger men getting the ball in space just outside our box, which was the type of ball Eriksen to name one killed us with in the playoff. Idah was a great outlet, Connolly caused problems with his pace but unfortunately wasn't great with his decision making. Cullen and McGrath looked like seasoned pros and their passing was excellent.

I echo what everyone has said above - i think we would be mad to get rid of Kenny. We need to remember that most of these lads are on the bench in England or unproven youth players at club level, and we matched Portugal for the vast majority of that game, and should have won but for some shocking refereeing. This is a time of sacrifice for this team, we are giving our young lads the experience we need them to have, we are learning how to actually play football rather than trying to take shortcuts at this level, and we will reap the benefits in two or three years time. 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 02 Sep 2021 at 12:03pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
People are acting like we won the game and that anybody who doubted Kenny has been proven wrong, after yet another defeat. We played very well but we still lost, again. 14 games, 1 win (against a team of semi pros in a friendly).

He still hasnt won a competitive game and we've had a situation twice before this where we raised our level against good opposition (Slovakia, Serbia) - got nothing out of the games and followed it up with a series of rubbish performances. It's like groundhog day here today, the exact same stuff was said after those two games and both times we followed it up with rubbish performances and damaging defeats.

He needs to win games now. At some point there has to be actual concrete evidence of progress, in the form of results and points, 4 points from the next 2 games and that would show that there is a future here with him.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:21pm
I like Kenny and no one wants him to succeed more then me. We do need to go and win that game Saturday though. Simple as just win it. That gives us a platform and momentum for Serbia then and that may take care of itself as a result. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 310311312313314 735>
  Share Topic