Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by geansaí geansaí wrote:

People really need to stop referencing Allardyce as some sort of defence of Kenny, it's absolutely pathetic! Nobody is saying they want him. It's the equivalent of anyone that doesn't rate Kenny saying he thinks we can play like Spain from 2008-2012!

The lack of qualifying for the last few tournaments was obviously disappointing but we were competitive in qualifying. Look at the teams we were coming up against, we lost once in a group with Denmark and Switzerland and look what both teams have achieved. In the World Cup qualifying we finished ahead of Wales and Austria-both of whom qualified for the euro's and done well.  Obviously that ended in a disaster of a playoff game but we came up against a top tier player painting his masterpiece.

Yes the style of football wasn't the most attractive but the managers at the time got the most out of the players they had. What players do people think O'Neill and McCarthy could have blooded at the time? There was nobody! Kenny is giving debuts and players are getting experience and that's great but either of the previous managers would have done the same, not to the same degree, but players would have been promoted when they were ready. 

It's all well and good having an overall philosophy of playing nice passing football but you still have to get the basics of the job right- namely team selections, tactical setups, substitutions-influencing the game in front of you. Nothing Kenny has done in his games so far has given me any confidence that he has a handle on those things. Playing a passing game doesn't mean you have to be on the front foot all the time, Kenny doesn't seem to understand that and any half decent team will let us try, sit back and pick us off. 

If we try go toe to toe with Portugal it could turn into a massacre, play a defensive game and mix up a counterattack mixing long ball and a passing game, if he does something along those lines it will at least show some sort of game awareness.

He won't do it, so forget about it. Long ball is out, passing the ball is in. If we give it away so what, we're not qualifying anyway. Long term, we will get it right if we stick to what we're doing. Tactics, subs are in a work in progress, but it would be given the amount of rebuilding that has to be done. 

McCarthy had no interest in blooding players. He could also have handed Bazunu, Kelleher their debuts. Never heard of them. He could have brought Parrott and Connolly through. No interest. He relied on Randolph in goal, McGoldrick upfront, and Duffy as our goal threat. Tired old reliable choices that backfired. Instead of getting the most out of players like Grealish and Rice, him and MON couldn't even get them onto the pitch in time. So when the traitors got offered the chance to swear allegiance to the queen and kiss the union jack, the pair of them took it. 

Mick had 2 chances to qualify directly for this tournament, and failed both. Remember his disgusting comments about the playoff, that it wasn't a game for young players. Short sighted, blinkered, tunnel vision. Well it turned out not to be a game for old, experienced heads either. This results at all costs rut has been going on for years, and it has to stop. Especially when the policy fails. So it's stopped and Kenny is here to overhaul it, so when we're ready to compete, we can go again. While results haven't gone to plan, at least it's still refreshing to watch an Ireland team try to win games by passing a football, rather than hope we can launch a set piece onto Duffys head, then put 10 men behind the ball and cling on for dear life, aka "pragmatism". 

Allardyce has been regularly suggested here as a candidate to replace Kenny. The fact he's cheap, immediately available, and as he says himself a "not long term" solution, makes him the ideal candidate to the FAI practically and financially, in the event that Kenny goes. He is however nothing more than a gum chewing, long ball backs to the wall playing, con artist, which makes him utterly unsuitable to the style we're trying to instill, and the long term direction we're looking to go in.

Portugal don't massacre teams, look at their results. They squeezed past Azerbaijan, came from behind in Luxembourg, squandered 2 points in Belgrade, only beat Hungary in the Euros and then, only in the last 10 minutes. Yeah they're the best team in the group, and they will do what they have to do to win it, but that's all they will do. 
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

So it's stopped and Kenny is here to overhaul it, so when we're ready to compete, we can go again. While results haven't gone to plan, at least it's still refreshing to watch an Ireland team try to win games by passing a football, rather than hope we can launch a set piece onto Duffys head, then put 10 men behind the ball and cling on for dear life, aka "pragmatism". 

Yeah, but an overhaul may mean a lot more than just changing the faces and names of the players, and knocking the ball around a bit more. After early green shoots, I feel that not only have the results dropped off, but the football hasn't been particularly 'watchable' either. England's current situation is a product of a radical, and longstanding overhaul of player development, and high performance, which has been in the works for years. Dropping a few players that some might call 'deadwood', picking some young players who are not having a particularly  brilliant time at club level, and kicking the ball around the back in a fairly low rent approach to overhaul.

That is not a criticism of Kenny. He is in the unfortunate position of having to work with what he has got, and I think at different times in recent history he would have done very well in the dugout for Ireland.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:57pm

McCarthy had no interest in blooding players. He could also have handed Bazunu, Kelleher their debuts. Never heard of them. He could have brought Parrott and Connolly through. No interest. He relied on Randolph in goal, McGoldrick upfront, and Duffy as our goal threat. Tired old reliable choices that backfired. Instead of getting the most out of players like Grealish and Rice, him and MON couldn't even get them onto the pitch in time. So when the traitors got offered the chance to swear allegiance to the queen and kiss the union jack, the pair of them took it. 
100% nail on the head there.

It was pretty clear even in Mick's time in charge the the old guard were not performing and needed moving on. Mick had the perfect opportunity to blood some new players and start the process of moving on the deadwood. He didn't bother though, he left everything on Kenny to rebuild. Kenny realised the mess he had inherited and took the brave decision to start the rebuilding on his watch, even though it would mean a short term dip in results. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 4:18pm

He won't do it, so forget about it. Long ball is out, passing the ball is in. If we give it away so what, we're not qualifying anyway. Long term, we will get it right if we stick to what we're doing. Tactics, subs are in a work in progress, but it would be given the amount of rebuilding that has to be done. 

There's absolutely no guarantee of that. Denmark owning the ball at under 21 level against us recently was further evidence that the players coming through, while more talented that much of what came before them, are no more suited to short passing football than the current bunch. We can keep trying to play that way while Kenny remains in charge, but looking at the players available to us things won't be getting any better regardless of how long we stick at it for.

In any case the trend at the Euros has generally been away from slow build up, retention football. It has been towards fast counter-attacking play and goals score from traditional styles such as basic crosses. That's why it has been such a great tournament to watch. The wider game seems to be moving away from the very style of play Kenny is trying to implement. The trend is not towards long ball play though, similar to the Allardyce rubbish posted on here the idea that there's only two options available to us - Kenny or hoofball - is yet more nonsense that has no bearing on reality.

Anyway, as you say, Kenny seems to be completely devoid of any sense of pragmatism, he would rather continue to lose than change his philosophy in any way (and a section of our support would rather we continue to lose than admit they massively overestimated his managerial abilities). Which is why his time as manager is doomed to failure - his philosophy doesn't suit the available players and he seems hopelessly unable to come up with a Plan B.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Jul 2021 at 4:20pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There's absolutely no guarantee of that. Denmark owning the ball at under 21 level against us recently was further evidence that the players coming through, while more talented that much of what came before them, are no more suited to short passing football than the current bunch. We can keep trying to play that way while Kenny remains in charge, but looking at the players available to us things won't be getting any better regardless of how long we stick at it for.

In any case the trend at the Euros has generally been away from slow build up, retention football. It has been towards fast counter-attacking play and goals score from traditional styles such as basic crosses. That's why it has been such a great tournament to watch. The wider game seems to be moving away from the very style of play Kenny is trying to implement. The trend is not towards long ball play though, similar to the Allardyce rubbish posted on here the idea that there's only two options available to us - Kenny or hoofball - is yet more nonsense that has no bearing on reality.

Anyway, as you say, Kenny seems to be completely devoid of any sense of pragmatism, he would rather continue to lose than change his philosophy in any way (and a section of our support would rather we continue to lose than admit they massively overestimated his managerial abilities). Which is why his time as manager is doomed to failure - his philosophy doesn't suit the available players and he seems hopelessly unable to come up with a Plan B.
Absolutely spot on!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Absolutely spot on!

I don't think kenny has ever suggested a slow build up play when in possession of the ball, if anything he's trying to encourage moving the ball faster.

Teams are not playing direct football in this tournament be it long ball or possession. They get the ball to the final third quickly and press for openings moving it across the pitch..

I dont think a single team has played long ball either.

Maybe what Kenny is trying to do fails in the end but he's not exactly taken a winning team and made them bad. He's taken a terrible team and is trying to fix it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 11:01pm
I get that he wants the players to move the ball more quickly through a shorter passing game. However, because our lads don't suit that style of play - both our experienced players and most of our younger lads also, it ends up being pedestrian and predictable for the opposition to deal with. When teams press us we can't deal with it at all and cough up possession really easy in dangerous positions.

Again I don't think anybody is suggesting that we should play Jack Charlton style long ball football. But we have to play to our strengths, such that they are, and that means being more direct with the ball than we have been in the last year because we don't have the players with the technical ability needed to short pass our way through any remotely decent standard opposition.

I felt we saw a bit more direction in our play against Hungary to be fair. Hopefully we can build on that.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Jul 2021 at 11:02pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 11:35pm

I get that he wants the players to move the ball more quickly through a shorter passing game. However, because our lads don't suit that style of play - both our experienced players and most of our younger lads also, it ends up being pedestrian and predictable for the opposition to deal with. When teams press us we can't deal with it at all and cough up possession really easy in dangerous positions.

Again I don't think anybody is suggesting that we should play Jack Charlton style long ball football. But we have to play to our strengths, such that they are, and that means being more direct with the ball than we have been in the last year because we don't have the players with the technical ability needed to short pass our way through any remotely decent standard opposition.

I felt we saw a bit more direction in our play against Hungary to be fair. Hopefully we can build on that.

When people say play better football I don’t think well I certainly don’t mean play total football like Barcelona just not the way we have been playing in recent years. It’s not a stretch to say we played the worst football in Europe even Moldova at home in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers they looked far superior to us on the ball. 

You can be direct play with width and all that and aggression one thing that has always made us stand apart I think is our spirit and aggression. That allowed us to catch Germany in the Euro 2016 qualifiers against the odds. Not many teams in Europe of similar stature to us would have been capable of doing that but we could because of those strengths. 

Anyone that thinks we didn’t need to go away from the dross we were playing long term and start creating a system to allow homegrown talent to start coming through again is absolutely deluded. It needed to happen and sacking Kenny before the end of these qualifiers at least is ludicrous. He does need a few wins 7 points certainly and push for 3rd spot and signs we are improving. 

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Jul 2021 at 11:38pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 11:38pm

1. We've been direct with the ball for 20 years and it wasn't working, this is why no one else plays that way anymore. Seriously no one... please name the best team that plays that way? 

2. We have very few strengths, I agree with you on that. One of the few strengths we have is NOT direct football. Direct to who exactly? Robinson? Connolly? It hasn't worked for many years. As we won't qualify for this world cup it'll be 24 years minimum before we qualify again. That's 5 WC qualifying campaigns.

In the euros we qualified for 2 in the last 30 years. 2012 and 2016. The 2012 was a complete disaster, we were the worst team in the tournament and the first home. 

2016 was somewhat of an outlier of the past 20 years and we did ok. So that's one OK tournament (2016) since 2002. That's 8 qualifying tournaments.

We've been left behind teams we should be on a par with. Ukraine, Finland, Austria, Wales Slovakia.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:01am
LF - I think you are taking a different meaning from "being direct on the ball" than what I am meaning. Once again I am absolutely not suggesting we go direct with 50 yard long balls to Connolly or Robinson - or James Collins for that matter. 

What I mean by being direct is taking the game to teams, running at defences and generally looking to create chances with quicker, more direct play, as opposed to the passive 5 yard passing stuff that has been the hallmark of the Kenny era so far. We do have players emerging that can play that way to a decent standard - Knight, Molumby, Connolly and so on. They may not be world beaters but they're among the best we're going to have for the next decade so we need to play in a way that gets them doing what they do well, rather than a way that repeatedly exposes what they and others can't do.

I remember Kenny in one of his early press conferences almost scoffing at the notion that we might play counter attacking football with him as manager. But international football is often about being tight at the back and then taking chances when they come on the break - so counter attacking football can be a really useful strategy for a team like Ireland who don't retain possession that well against better teams.

I would love to see the team set up with the defence better protected by a couple of defensive midfielders so that we don't concede goals to stupid mistakes at the back. But at the same time set up in a way that, when we do turn over possession from the opposition, we transition to having the likes of Knight, Connolly, Robinson or whoever running hard at their defence. Kenny doesn't seem to want to set the team up that way though, when we do win back possession its usually straight back to the 5 yard lateral stuff so the opposition have all the time in the world to reset their defensive shape. It's a complete waste of time.
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

1. We've been direct with the ball for 20 years and it wasn't working, this is why no one else plays that way anymore. Seriously no one... please name the best team that plays that way? 

2. We have very few strengths, I agree with you on that. One of the few strengths we have is NOT direct football. Direct to who exactly? Robinson? Connolly? It hasn't worked for many years. As we won't qualify for this world cup it'll be 24 years minimum before we qualify again. That's 5 WC qualifying campaigns.

In the euros we qualified for 2 in the last 30 years. 2012 and 2016. The 2012 was a complete disaster, we were the worst team in the tournament and the first home. 

2016 was somewhat of an outlier of the past 20 years and we did ok. So that's one OK tournament (2016) since 2002. That's 8 qualifying tournaments.

We've been left behind teams we should be on a par with. Ukraine, Finland, Austria, Wales Slovakia.

In fairness Ireland got an awful draw in 2012, secondly a lot of players who were playing great football around 2010 form fell off a cliff, age finally caught up with them and they were shadows of their former selves. 
cfdh_edmundo View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfdh_edmundo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Boondock Boondock wrote:

In fairness Ireland got an awful draw in 2012, secondly a lot of players who were playing great football around 2010 form fell off a cliff, age finally caught up with them and they were shadows of their former selves. 

Agree, it genuinely was a group of death, with the two finalists (Italy and Spain) and then what was probably the best third place team in the competition (Croatia, who nearly eliminated Spain in the last group game).

If we'd been on the Poland, Russia, Czech, Greece group or the France, Ukraine, Sweden, England group we'd have had a good chance of picking up 2-3 points. As you point out it was about 2-3 years too far for some of our players, Given didn't have the reactions he did years before, Dunne and the rest of the back line were creaking a little in terms of pace. Our only goal scorer was Sean St Ledger (shows the attack was a little blunt) and we had the likes of Paul Green (good honest pro, but not a world beater) in midfield.
Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:07am
Will be on the Claire Byrne show this morning.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:33am
Nothing we didn't know all ready. Underwhelming interview

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 23 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:43am
He's 6 weeks out from the qualifiers and our players have just started pre-season.

What are people expecting him to say?LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 2:18pm
An interesting thing I've noticed that SK and the current management have done is the squad meeting up in England to travel to away destinations rather than coming here first and then flying out.. I guess some of that is due to covid etc, but I wonder will they keep it up for future windows with an away game first.. it makes sense to me as it's less hassle for the players (presumably) and also reduces the number of flights they need to take.. I wonder why other managers didn't do it? 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

An interesting thing I've noticed that SK and the current management have done is the squad meeting up in England to travel to away destinations rather than coming here first and then flying out.. I guess some of that is due to covid etc, but I wonder will they keep it up for future windows with an away game first.. it makes sense to me as it's less hassle for the players (presumably) and also reduces the number of flights they need to take.. I wonder why other managers didn't do it? 

It was brought in due to Covid as a lesson learned from the fiasco with close contacts last autumn. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 3:30pm
Does make a lot more sense though even pre covid with all bar Cullen based in the UK.

Another reason is probably the quick turn around in games with there being now 3 instead of 2 in each International window. Less faffing about if they can all get together  ASAP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 307308309310311 735>
  Share Topic