You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 735>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It's about progress rather than being considered a good team.

We struggled badly over the 2 games vs Gibraltar under mccarthy in which we beat them in Gibraltar 1-0 and in ireland we beat them 2-0 (with an own goal and a 93rd minute goal by Brady), 

if you measure that vs similar opposition in Andorra in which we scored 4 and should have had more then that can be considered progress. The performance was better as well as the result.

I'm not saying that the ireland team that played Gibraltar with hendrick, keogh, Duffy, Scott hogan, maguire etc is better than the team than faced Andorra but I feel they will be soon.

There are good signs that Knight, parrott, oshea, molumby bazunu and idah are a step in the right direction

Sorry, but the Andorra game simply doesnt count. 
Sorry but it does. Normally id agree but in this instance every game counts. It was vital we won this game..which we did with the best scoreline against this team that weve ever had. Thats not a claim to fame btw but it matters all the same. 

Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:35pm
Look the two summer games were a free hit and i was happy that we won one and drew the other , but Sept is another twist where we have to get some sort of results in games that matter . 
The Lux game will never go away we all know that it's something you can't hide away and file it under something other in your  CV .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:01pm
When you’re in Kenny’s situation there are no free hits. You cant move the goalposts now Murph. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:55pm
Andorra was a shambles had we fallen behind playing they way we were against any team above the level of Andorra and I don’t think we get a win we were blessed it was an end of season challenge game and them ringing the changes had it been a qualifier I don’t think we score 4.

The Hungary performance offered some optimism.

Either way these games are irrelevant September most likely makes or breaks him.

Of course Kenny wants it bad if he doesn’t succeed here league of Ireland will be his level for the rest of his career most likely.

This is his ticket to something more but he has to show he is capable!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

When you’re in Kenny’s situation there are no free hits. You cant move the goalposts now Murph. 
I think you well know where i stand on Kenny Sham .

Summer friendlies were nothing games to be honest yes he needed a win very badly indeed ,but i would never look at these games to point where we are heading as we could well lose two and draw on of the Sept games and i think it would not come as a shock to a good few on here either .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Summer friendlies were nothing games to be honest yes he needed a win very badly indeed ,but i would never look at these games to point where we are heading as we could well lose two and draw on of the Sept games and i think it would not come as a shock to a good few on here either .
You were calling for him to be sacked referencing losing these games before they were played you mentaller LOL
That’s why he’s saying you’re moving the goalposts 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:34am

]Sorry but it does. Normally id agree but in this instance every game counts. It was vital we won this game..which we did with the best scoreline against this team that weve ever had. Thats not a claim to fame btw but it matters all the same. 

Sorry Sham, but friendly matches have been declining in importance for years to the point that a competitive tournament has been created to avoid a series of such games. I think the England game in 2015 was the most noticeable decline in the practice, with a full house on a beautiful Sunday, the only thing that wasn't right was the game on the pitch which was dreadful, end of season fare, between teams that didn't look interested.

I would even have overlooked the result at Wembley last year, if it hadn't been for the HR issues that appeared afterwards, which I think have been an underlying issue in his reign that are probably still ongoing, or yet to be resolved.

However, while I would concede that I was probably incorrect in saying it doesnt count, I would say it only counts to the extent that a hand picked minnow was beaten with ease, and anything less would have made a further rod for his own back, with a loss creating an existential crisis. Sadly in modern football, had we drawn with Luxembourg in Dublin, the critical response would not have been far off what it was when we lost. Chances are had we won ugly the response would have been critical. I certainly accept that, and therefore accept that Kenny has a harder mountain to climb than many of his predecessors. But the amount of credit that ought to be afforded for beating a minnow in a non-competitive match is very limited indeed. Let alone picking apart the things 'on paper' that make the result look good. I appreciate you say its not a claim to fame, but any of the draws he has achieved are far more impressive results than this one. 

As such, the win kept the critics off his back, and broke a winless streak. But to the second point, its almost like selling on commission to your family. Its a gimme, and it leaves questions out there about selling to the same extent to the general public. Suffice it to say the games in Azerbaijan and Luxembourg will be different kettles of fish. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

You were calling for him to be sacked referencing losing these games before they were played you mentaller LOL
As said many times before he should never have got the job in the first place but hey JDs work so we have to live with it .
He is not going anywhere until the last of the World Cups games we know that , he should have gone before the Serbia game but that didn't happen .
 He will be gone in 5 months time and our International manager will end up where , hummmm LOI and that's his level .
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:13pm

As said many times before he should never have got the job in the first place but hey JDs work so we have to live with it .
He is not going anywhere until the last of the World Cups games we know that , he should have gone before the Serbia game but that didn't happen .
 He will be gone in 5 months time and our International manager will end up where , hummmm LOI and that's his level .

gone before the serbia game Confused
serious question who would u like to come in and replace stephen with?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:16pm

None of which is anything to do with my post. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EOPHq1jjgw&ab_channel=OffTheBall

Speaking very passionately about the next campaign as he believes that all the young lads will have 20+ caps etc...

Instead of calling for his head every time we have a bad game, we should be taking the pressure off and giving him a long term contract.

He should be guaranteed this World Cup campaign, and the next Euro's at very least. I'd be even happier if we could tack another World Cup campaign onto the end of that to be honest. Considering the state Irish football was in when he took over, it's could realistically take the best part of a decade to turn things around. 

The likes of Duffy, Hendrick, Brady, Hourihane, McCarthy, McClean, Collins, etc. all need shuffling out the door if we are to progress. If it was me, I would have thrown a big testimonial for the lot of them this Summer, thanked them for the service, and told them they would no longer be needed. I understand he might like to keep a few of these players for posterity, but they should really be only squad players at best.

We have so many exciting new young players coming through and we can't stymie their development by sticking with the trusted failed options. I hope that Kenny has realised this and will go with a refreshed team for the next game. If everyone is fit, no reason why the below shouldnt be our starting line-up. Get to keep the best of the old guard, but combine it with the brightest younger lads.

Bazunu (Kelleher)
Stevens (Manning)
Egan (Duffy)
O Shea (Omobamlidele)
Collins (Dunne)
Coleman (Doherty)
Cullen (Byrne)
Molumby (Browne)
Knight (Smodicz)
Parrott (Idah)
Connolly (O Dowda)
Robinson (Ogbene)

That is the type of squad we need to build from, not dead wood like Jeff bleedin Hendrick.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm
I finally got around to listening to the interview. Very insightful I thought.

I’d like to see him get the euros campaign. It’s clear he has an idea in what way he wants us to play, how it’ll happen, blooding the young players, etc. Pep wouldn’t turn the mess Irish football is in within 1 campaign. As someone said, in 2 years time, some of these young lads might have nearly 20 caps under their belt.

I can’t understand why people are looking for him to do media training though. I like the fact that he just talks like a normal person.

Too many bland interviews by footballers and managers these days throwing out the usual cliches, etc. It’s actually refreshing to hear from him, warts and all 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EOPHq1jjgw&ab_channel=OffTheBall

Speaking very passionately about the next campaign as he believes that all the young lads will have 20+ caps etc...

Instead of calling for his head every time we have a bad game, we should be taking the pressure off and giving him a long term contract.

He should be guaranteed this World Cup campaign, and the next Euro's at very least. I'd be even happier if we could tack another World Cup campaign onto the end of that to be honest. Considering the state Irish football was in when he took over, it's could realistically take the best part of a decade to turn things around. 

The likes of Duffy, Hendrick, Brady, Hourihane, McCarthy, McClean, Collins, etc. all need shuffling out the door if we are to progress. If it was me, I would have thrown a big testimonial for the lot of them this Summer, thanked them for the service, and told them they would no longer be needed. I understand he might like to keep a few of these players for posterity, but they should really be only squad players at best.

We have so many exciting new young players coming through and we can't stymie their development by sticking with the trusted failed options. I hope that Kenny has realised this and will go with a refreshed team for the next game. If everyone is fit, no reason why the below shouldnt be our starting line-up. Get to keep the best of the old guard, but combine it with the brightest younger lads.

Bazunu (Kelleher)
Stevens (Manning)
Egan (Duffy)
O Shea (Omobamlidele)
Collins (Dunne)
Coleman (Doherty)
Cullen (Byrne)
Molumby (Browne)
Knight (Smodicz)
Parrott (Idah)
Connolly (O Dowda)
Robinson (Ogbene)

That is the type of squad we need to build from, not dead wood like Jeff bleedin Hendrick.

I'm not and never have called for his head. The rest of your post isn't worth a response.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 6:47pm

Bazunu (Kelleher)
Stevens (Manning)
Egan (Duffy)
O Shea (Omobamlidele)
Collins (Dunne)
Coleman (Doherty)
Cullen (Byrne)
Molumby (Browne)
Knight (Smodicz)
Parrott (Idah)
Connolly (O Dowda)
Robinson (Ogbene)

I think only a tiny number of people are calling for his head. The rest are critical based on what has been seen, and I dont see any problem with that. Least of all because I fear that this rebuilding period is just a rudimentary 'change the names and the faces' tinker a bit with the strategy, and the rest will follow. There is an argument that the rebuild isn't fit for purpose, or that given everything taken into account, it isn't possible to successfully rebuild on this basis.

Just because players are new, or young, or different doesnt mean that it will automatically be better.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Bazunu (Kelleher)
Stevens (Manning)
Egan (Duffy)
O Shea (Omobamlidele)
Collins (Dunne)
Coleman (Doherty)
Cullen (Byrne)
Molumby (Browne)
Knight (Smodicz)
Parrott (Idah)
Connolly (O Dowda)
Robinson (Ogbene)

I think only a tiny number of people are calling for his head. The rest are critical based on what has been seen, and I dont see any problem with that. Least of all because I fear that this rebuilding period is just a rudimentary 'change the names and the faces' tinker a bit with the strategy, and the rest will follow. There is an argument that the rebuild isn't fit for purpose, or that given everything taken into account, it isn't possible to successfully rebuild on this basis.

Just because players are new, or young, or different doesnt mean that it will automatically be better.

My thinking is by March 2023 the start of the Euros which again I repeat should be the more immediate long term goal in mind a number of the younger players will surpass the older guard as far as ability/club they are playing at. 

Kelleher and Bazunu will almost certainly be more viable options then Randolph id argue Kelleher is the better option already especially the way we want to play. 

Collins is in the PL now and I’m thinking will be a starter for Burnley by his 2nd season if not this one . Will Duffy Egan or Clark be? I’d fancy Dara O’Shea and West Brom to go straight back up. 

Id also fancy Knight and Cullen to be playing at least the same level as Hourihane Hendrick or McCarthy by then and only a matter of time before they are playing higher. Smallbone in particular could be playing PL football with Southampton hed alreayd have broken through fully for them only for injuries. Will the 3 elder lads by playing PL football? Hourihane and McCarthy I’d doubt it. 

Brady and McClean I don’t see a future for them in the top flight. Idah Obafemi Connolly Parrott Robinson I do. 

That’s the way I’d see it anyways and March 2023 is a decent spot as it’s a long term view without being so long term your righting off all sorts of results no matter how bad for years. We are out the World Cup now so that’s a blooding excercise while hopefully getting 7 or 8 pts to push for 3rd. 

Nations League group likewise a friendly tournament. 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:36pm
The next Nations League is potentially our best chance of qualifying for the Euros given that our seeding will tank after the current campaign. So it cannot be taken as a friendly tournament. We have four games in the group stage in June 2022. That's where our next campaign starts from so that needs to be the target.

Ideally get the new man in over the winter unless Kenny can turn things around somehow in the next few games. Probably too much damage already done though for that to happen. A couple of friendlies for the new man in the spring and then hit the ground running in June. Plenty of faint praise and faux sympathy for Kenny from players and pundits no doubt but realistically it will be back to the League of Ireland for him.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The next Nations League is potentially our best chance of qualifying for the Euros given that our seeding will tank after the current campaign. So it cannot be taken as a friendly tournament. We have four games in the group stage in June 2022. That's where our next campaign starts from so that needs to be the target.

Ideally get the new man in over the winter unless Kenny can turn things around somehow in the next few games. Probably too much damage already done though for that to happen. A couple of friendlies for the new man in the spring and then hit the ground running in June. Plenty of faint praise and faux sympathy for Kenny from players and pundits no doubt but realistically it will be back to the League of Ireland for him.

Friendly tournament a bit of an exaggeration apologies. However realistically are we going to win our Nations League group? Tbf the League B teams weren’t as hot as I originally imagined Ukraine Serbia and Sweden are about the height of it but sides superior to us. We may well have actually been better off getting relegated would have given us a real chance to get top spot in a softer group and get through the back door that way. 

June 2022 is still a year away and gives some of the younger lads a chance to establish themselves further. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
In the short term we don't need to win it, just need to finish high enough up that we make the playoffs once the auto qualified teams are taken away. It's a realistic goal and we should be aiming for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 735>
  Share Topic