You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 305306307308309 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Does anyone else feel ill reading plannings posts and being in full agreement with them? 
Yes. Its hard to believe as I sit here twisted after getting home from a night out in Dublin City Centre..or town.. that I find myself in agreement with him.... we will reap the benefits of Stephen Kenny for generations to come. We finally have a football vision, albeit with some very painful short term pain.

This is it. From what I see he has already laid down foundations and blooded players to the point I can safely say we are sorted in 4 positions for the next decade plus. 

2 GKs who any country in Europe would be happy to have as prospects and Travers who I see getting to at least Randolphs level surely. Rose the first non German to play for Schalke underage the Harvard of goalkeepers practically we could have some laugh in 10 years time talking about the number of top keepers in our ranks. The next Slovenia. 

Centre backs are like buses too Collins Omobamidele O’Shea McGuinness McNulty etc. Also Jason Knight looks like a potential mainstay of the side. Great prospect. Not to mention two RBs who will play at a high level for a 3-4 years more at least Coleman Doherty.  

The key now is attacking and midfield positions and we are littered with prospects in the 03,04,05 born groups. They are longer term again but hopefully by March 2023 start of the Euro qualifiers Idah Obafemi Connolly Parrott Odubeko Scully Cassidy Kayode will kick on further at club level. Plenty hope there. 

Midfield likewise Smallbone Johansson Connell Taylor Molumby Grant etc lets see can they kick on at club level particularly Smallbone Johansson and Connell with the calibre of club they are at. Taylor and Molumby have done that to an extent hopefully they continue to progress relentlessly. 

We are light on young full backs that have officially broken through. Roughan and Adaramola who’s savagely highly rated at Palace hopefully will breakthrough as left back options in the next 4-5 years. 

Likewise at Right Back McNamara Ebosele and Kioso look like they will all play at decent levels too when Father Time catches up with Coleman and Doherty. 

Sponsored Links

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Does anyone else feel ill reading plannings posts and being in full agreement with them? 
Yes. Its hard to believe as I sit here twisted after getting home from a night out in Dublin City Centre..or town.. that I find myself in agreement with him.... we will reap the benefits of Stephen Kenny for generations to come. We finally have a football vision, albeit with some very painful short term pain.

I think Kenny will be given another campaign. It's not a sought after job and the fai are broke.

But I think kenny is doing ok considering all that's been thrown at him from day one. Regardless, you're correct, some manager will benefit greatly with the work kenny has done with the young players.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:39am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EOPHq1jjgw&ab_channel=OffTheBall

Speaking very passionately about the next campaign as he believes that all the young lads will have 20+ caps etc...

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:57am
Kenny inherited an aged team with no players in place to.replace them. Hes brought through a lot of u21 players in knight, molumby, oshea, bazunu, kellerher, parrott, idah, Cullen(not u21) and more to boot.

Hes moved away from the long ball that has been implemented since 1986 and started a more modern passing game with more possession. (The first irish manager to do so)

We are starting to see a mix of goalscorers rather than being reliant on Keane or Duffy in the 85th minute. Players like parrott, knight, mcclean, horgan looking to chip in with goals, albeit only of late.

There was always talk of writing off a campaign to rebuild the team as this may have been necessary. This hasn't been helped with covid causing disruption.

Results have been poor, no question about that but performances are getting better as players are getting more experienced.

Still questionmarks on what kennys first team will be and if he'll go to a 532 or 433 formation but all in all he's done a good job when looking at it objectively 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kenny inherited an aged team with no players in place to.replace them. Hes brought through a lot of u21 players in knight, molumby, oshea, bazunu, kellerher, parrott, idah, Cullen(not u21) and more to boot.

Hes moved away from the long ball that has been implemented since 1986 and started a more modern passing game with more possession. (The first irish manager to do so)

We are starting to see a mix of goalscorers rather than being reliant on Keane or Duffy in the 85th minute. Players like parrott, knight, mcclean, horgan looking to chip in with goals, albeit only of late.

There was always talk of writing off a campaign to rebuild the team as this may have been necessary. This hasn't been helped with covid causing disruption.

Results have been poor, no question about that but performances are getting better as players are getting more experienced.

Still questionmarks on what kennys first team will be and if he'll go to a 532 or 433 formation but all in all he's done a good job when looking at it objectively 

Well this is simply not true.

Kenny has also used the long ball approach too. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:42am

Brilliant post! Before a ball was kicked, a lot of fans on here were expecting the WC22 campaign to be a write off in a phase of rebuilding the identity of the team and introduction of the next generation. Rome wasn't built in a day, this will take time to shape.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Brilliant post! Before a ball was kicked, a lot of fans on here were expecting the WC22 campaign to be a write off in a phase of rebuilding the identity of the team and introduction of the next generation. Rome wasn't built in a day, this will take time to shape.

We ain’t qualifying for the World Cup so really these games should be about rebuilding. If we want a shorter long term goal everything should be done with a view to March 2023 the start of the Euro 2024 qualifiers. That should be the goal.  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:52am
I don't think it's anywhere near a given that Kenny gets another campaign if we finish 4th/5th even taking into account the poor state of the FAI's finances imo.

I know we're in a transitional period and results may not be good in the short term but there should still be a minimum requirement of any Irish manager in terms of our overall placings in a qualifying group. 

3rd spot is the minimum requirement when there's only 2 sides on paper better than us. Finishing 4th isn't as damning in a group where we had Germany/Sweden & Austria ahead of us in 2013 but finishing 4th in this group coupled with a defeat at home to Luxembourg is unacceptable imo. Any other manager would be sacked in this case. That said, Kenny will probably still be kept on if we do finish behind Luxembourg. 

I'd be optimistic though that we'll recover and grab 3rd spot. We're going to have a stronger team at home to Serbia than we had in Belgrade and less chance of a blatant penalty decision going against us so it's not totally beyond Ireland to beat them. A draw would still be the most likely result. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:16am

McCarthy 1 version wasn't a long ball merchant. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 2:18pm

We haven't scored against anyone of note. The 4 goals against Andorra were Knight, Parrot and Horgan scored was hardly earth shattering stuff. Duffy still has presented one of our most dangerous threats. I haven't a clue how you feel he has done a good job. Sure he has put some of the young guys in- fair play to him but he was the under 21 manager. There is an awful lot of delusion on here. Seeing what people want to see not what is actually happening. One win in 13, 9 of those games we were goaless. There have been some green shoots at times but whether Kenny is the man to turn this around I don't know. We are a work in progress I agree but let's not delude ourselves the performances are getting better- it's hard to tell. Not sure I see much change from the game against Slovakia which was one of our better efforts. The next three games are crucial. 3 points at a minimum. 4 points would be reasonable. Anything over 4 would be a brilliant effort. Anything less than 3 he has to go.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:01pm
It's about progress rather than being considered a good team.

We struggled badly over the 2 games vs Gibraltar under mccarthy in which we beat them in Gibraltar 1-0 and in ireland we beat them 2-0 (with an own goal and a 93rd minute goal by Brady), 

if you measure that vs similar opposition in Andorra in which we scored 4 and should have had more then that can be considered progress. The performance was better as well as the result.

I'm not saying that the ireland team that played Gibraltar with hendrick, keogh, Duffy, Scott hogan, maguire etc is better than the team than faced Andorra but I feel they will be soon.

There are good signs that Knight, parrott, oshea, molumby bazunu and idah are a step in the right direction

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
Long ball is fine if there's a plan behind it. Duffy played some excellent long balls against Hungary. O'Neill's version of long ball was painful to watch. Lash it up to Walters or Murphy and none of our players within 40 yards of them.

I don't get the criticism of Kenny's interview. The only part I felt that he struggled was the part about his health, which is fair enough considering he early died.

He spoke passionately about his aims for the team and also about the players he has given opportunities to and wants to bring through. Listening to him, I'd be surprised if the players don't want to do their utmost for him. He fully believes that they can become big players for us in the future (whether that's misguided or not is up for debate).

Even if he doesn't succeed, we'll look back on his reign positively in the end.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:22pm

We struggled badly over the 2 games vs Gibraltar under mccarthy in which we beat them in Gibraltar 1-0 and in ireland we beat them 2-0 (with an own goal and a 93rd minute goal by Brady), 

if you measure that vs similar opposition in Andorra in which we scored 4 and should have had more then that can be considered progress. The performance was better as well as the result.

I'm not saying that the ireland team that played Gibraltar with hendrick, keogh, Duffy, Scott hogan, maguire etc is better than the team than faced Andorra but I feel they will be soon.

There are good signs that Knight, parrott, oshea, molumby bazunu and idah are a step in the right direction

Sorry, but the Andorra game simply doesnt count. An end of season friendly, where there was a serious gloss put on the result with some poor keeping and some tired legs amongst semi-professionals. What was worrying was the concession of the goal, and the dreadful first hours of the game. Regardless, there is a small slate of teams that you are automatically expected to beat, and both Andorra and Gibraltar are in those. I'm not saying that the victories over Gibraltar were acceptable in the way they were executed, but alongside those results we got draws with the Danes, and the Swiss, and beat Georgia. It doesnt count for much, but that was in a different context where we were still competitive. The difference here is the Andorra game came of the back of one of our most humiliating results of all time against Luxembourg, and a year's worth of failure to win competitive games.

I'm more than happy to look at green shoots like the Collins transfer, the Kelleher deal, Omobamidele's promotion with Norwich, and O'Shea's general development at West Brom. I'd even give credit for the Hungary game. But for flat track bullying a tiny principality in a friendly? I just dont buy that it had any more of a benefit that actually winning our first game in almost 18 months.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:30pm
Forgot to mention, the most positive part of the interview for me was that he seemed to indicate that he understands how are players are unable to replicate the same levels of intensity in the 2nd game of the window (good in Serbia, shocking against Luxembourg) due to their lack of football.

It indicates he's growing into the role he has and developing a greater understanding of it, and I wonder if we'll see a change in how he asks the team to play in the 3 game window coming up in September.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Sorry, but the Andorra game simply doesnt count. An end of season friendly, where there was a serious gloss put on the result with some poor keeping and some tired legs amongst semi-professionals. What was worrying was the concession of the goal, and the dreadful first hours of the game. Regardless, there is a small slate of teams that you are automatically expected to beat, and both Andorra and Gibraltar are in those. I'm not saying that the victories over Gibraltar were acceptable in the way they were executed, but alongside those results we got draws with the Danes, and the Swiss, and beat Georgia. It doesnt count for much, but that was in a different context where we were still competitive. The difference here is the Andorra game came of the back of one of our most humiliating results of all time against Luxembourg, and a year's worth of failure to win competitive games.

I'm more than happy to look at green shoots like the Collins transfer, the Kelleher deal, Omobamidele's promotion with Norwich, and O'Shea's general development at West Brom. I'd even give credit for the Hungary game. But for flat track bullying a tiny principality in a friendly? I just dont buy that it had any more of a benefit that actually winning our first game in almost 18 months.

Insisting that ireland should be better than we are doesn't work either. The end of the O'Neil era was poor, the 2nd mccarthy era was poor and we are still poor under Kenny. (For now) 

Losing to Luxembourg was horrible but it's not just that Kenny put out the wrong 11 it is a result that has been years in the making.

Ireland are a poor team and have been for years with a sharp decline post 2016. That is where we are at the moment.

You could put Pep in as manager but he still needs to rebuild the team.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 4:03pm

Insisting that ireland should be better than we are doesn't work either. The end of the O'Neil era was poor, the 2nd mccarthy era was poor and we are still poor under Kenny. (For now) 

Losing to Luxembourg was horrible but it's not just that Kenny put out the wrong 11 it is a result that has been years in the making.

Ireland are a poor team and have been for years with a sharp decline post 2016. That is where we are at the moment.

You could put Pep in as manager but he still needs to rebuild the team.

The only part I disagree with is that the Luxembourg result has been in the works. That was an especially poor result, and I would maintain that the manner in which the side was managed and substitutions ingrained in the game was a major factor in turning it from an embarrassing 0-0 into an utterly humiliating defeat. And I think there has been a lot of narrative around that game, which whistles past the graveyard a bit, including picking our a few Luxembourg results to artificially inflate their qualities, or the nonsense about Gerson Rodrigues playing for Kiev, and as such at a high level than any of our players, which seemed to be a way of explaining away the goal. Under previous managers, we had some difficult results against teams like that (Cyprus in 2006, and to a lesser extent Macedonia in 1997), but I never saw them explained away to the extent people have tried with Luxembourg at home.

We are poor, and we are in need of a restructure and a rebuild, and that is not just at a footballing level. But I'm not sure how sensible it is to just assume that this will work if given time, or that the process is fit for purpose to ensure it works. I'm all for giving more time to this and certainly seeing how the rest of the WC Qualification campaign goes. And at that point properly analysing what is taken and what is left behind. Even historical rebuilds would suggest that only aspects are taken forward. So this has to be an iterative process. But, if at the end of the year we finish with no more than a couple of points or less, there has to be questions asked.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Speaking very passionately about the next campaign as he believes that all the young lads will have 20+ caps etc...

Listened to this start to finish.

Loved it.

When he talks about the future and building a squad, the man feels it and wants it so bad.
Nobody can say if he will bring the results but I for one desperately hope he does and builds a squad that we can all get behind.

Roll on September.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Listened to this start to finish.

Loved it.

When he talks about the future and building a squad, the man feels it and wants it so bad.
Nobody can say if he will bring the results but I for one desperately hope he does and builds a squad that we can all get behind.

Roll on September.

I do think we need to get a few results in this campaign to justify keeping him on for the next one as for all I want him to succeed you need to win football matches too. 

However even if it doesn’t work out id essentially be looking to leave him run Irish football in the background after that. As you say he wants Irish football to take on the world it’s infectious his enthusiasm and belief. He’s in it for football as opposed to your Delaneys and his the dross of cronies that enabled him. 

Himself Crawford Mohan and plenty others we don’t hear of some brilliant people in the development ranks now. 

Edited by kevin100 - 05 Jul 2021 at 6:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 305306307308309 735>
  Share Topic