Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The best Kenny can do today is break even with a three goal plus win. I suppose if we won by 6 or 7 he might get some credit for the style of play, but anything less than a comfortable three goal victory and he will get slaughtered again, and rightly so.

We're playing a bunch of part timers here, you would expect most LoI teams to beat these lot, never mind the Irish senior team. If these lads cause us significant problems he'd be as well to hand in his resignation tonight.

We've only beaten Andorra by 3+ goals once so wouldn't be getting too hung up on the score. A dominant display is all that is needed (with a win obviously!)

Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sponsored Links

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:24am
I see SK has his friends, family and LOI acolytes out in force on this site preparing ready made excuses in the event of not beating Andorra. They have only one argument in his favour..."give it time, all will be good"
Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I don't blame SK for taking this job, what wouldn't he? But I do blame JD for his appointment. Look at the photo below, the body language of those players, says it all really.

Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny speaks to his players during a training session at PGA Catalunya Resort in Girona, Spain. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The best Kenny can do today is break even with a three goal plus win. I suppose if we won by 6 or 7 he might get some credit for the style of play, but anything less than a comfortable three goal victory and he will get slaughtered again, and rightly so.

We're playing a bunch of part timers here, you would expect most LoI teams to beat these lot, never mind the Irish senior team. If these lads cause us significant problems he'd be as well to hand in his resignation tonight.

Andorra have only lost by three goals, or more, to five teams in the last three years - France(twice), Portugal, Latvia, Poland and Hungary. Other than Latvia, I can't see us outscoring those teams.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
But surely this is a game where Kenny's passing style of play should be bringing improved results. Playing the way we played previously meant we almost always won these kind of games but rarely by large margins, that was a result of the cautious way we were set up. 

Kenny's style is more open and games like these are where we should see the benefits of that on the scoreboard. If that approach can't even being improvements in the form of bigger wins against minnows like Andorra then what is the point of persisting with it further?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I see SK has his friends, family and LOI acolytes out in force on this site preparing ready made excuses in the event of not beating Andorra. They have only one argument in his favour..."give it time, all will be good"
Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever. I don't blame SK for taking this job, what wouldn't he? But I do blame JD for his appointment. Look at the photo below, the body language of those players, says it all really.

Republic of Ireland manager Stephen Kenny speaks to his players during a training session at PGA Catalunya Resort in Girona, Spain. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Who is making excuses? Most people on here are being realistic in thinking we will beat them but by 1/2 goals. Expecting a 4/5/6-0 win is very unrealistic especially on current form.
What’s that about LOI people also could you maybe explain that? Irish supporters supporting the Irish manager, hardly that complex? Sure maybe give it a go yourself head off when things return to normal and catch a LOI game.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:51am
This forum LOLLOL
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

If you think that photo says it all it just proves that you have an agenda and your posts should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Big pat Big pat wrote:

oh so this a padantic forum... sorry I'll try not to abbreviate in future
No, but we can be pedantic at times. Thumbs Up
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:58am
6-0 win tonight, better player body language, better communication from the manager but no communication to the media on questions he’s asked.
Have I missed anything on tonight’s to do list? 
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

6-0 win tonight, better player body language, better communication from the manager but no communication to the media on questions he’s asked.

More abbreviations
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:03am

And then head down The Winchester for a nice cold pint and wait for this whole thing to blow over. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:06am

Don't mention any Japanese tennis players or he could be getting Osaka in the morning 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:15am
My position is I’m not an LOI or a Kenny fanboy but genuinely did think he would make a job of us. It hasn’t worked out no he was had dreadful luck at times too. 

I’d like to see him stay on until the end of the campaign at least as he’s blooding players/giving them a chance and even introducinh left field faces like Szmodics and McGrath. 

If results actually improve then I would say give him the Euros. Unfortunately I don’t see them improving and think he will lose the job

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Jun 2021 at 11:16am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:16am
Andorra never get hammered, Wales scraped a win in a qualifier couple years ago with late goal i remember watching at the time thinking, "we'd struggle to score against these".
I often bet on them to draw at home and it often comes in. 

I think 6/1 on a draw is a great price tonight. I'm thinking 0-0 or 1-0 to Ireland. Won't be any more I don't think. 
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

And then head down The Winchester for a nice cold pint and wait for this whole thing to blow over. 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:47am

Idah,Ogbene, Parrot and Connolly all need to start
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Andorra never get hammered, Wales scraped a win in a qualifier couple years ago with late goal i remember watching at the time thinking, "we'd struggle to score against these".
I often bet on them to draw at home and it often comes in. 

I think 6/1 on a draw is a great price tonight. I'm thinking 0-0 or 1-0 to Ireland. Won't be any more I don't think. 

If he doesnt win tonight then that really should be the end of it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:51am
I can't see us beating Andorra tonight.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 735>
  Share Topic