You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:11pm
Norway needed a last minute goal to beat Luxembourg. They had the likes of Haaland, Sorloth, Hauge, Odegaard and Ajer in their starting lineup. Friendly match, granted.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I've always thought too much is made about his media skills. He's not the best speaker. End of story.  Move on. On that note I think he's been better and seems to be a bit more relaxed in responding with a laugh to a long winded or awkward question (especially in today's press conference) than he was before.  

What's of most concern imo is how we tend to drift out of games and run out of steam under his system. Ireland have generally started well in games under Kenny but there's a noticeable drop off as the match goes on. This might be explained away as a lot of our players are not playing regularly but I think there's a lack of pragmatism on Kenny's part. I don't ever see him reverting to a direct style going into the dying minutes of a match if we needed a goal and his Plan A wasn't working. 

Given how limited we are in terms of technical skills and pool of talent, our first priority should be making sure we have a solid defence and are hard to beat. 

We've struggled to score goals years before Kenny took over so the lack of scoring certainly isn't his fault alone but it's no coincidence our previous managers all came to the same conclusion in recognising our limitations and set us up with a more pragmatic system. 

I do think there'd be more of a hope of an unlikely flukey draw in Portugal in September if we had Trap/O'Neill or Mick managing the team with a 'park the bus' mentality whereas under Kenny, it's an absolute certainty and acceptance amongst us that Portugal will win and probably by a few.  

And the kicker to all that is that both Trapp and MON, and to a lesser extent Mick had players available to them that could have been given a little more freedom to play, and the results could have, in fact, been better.

An example was Austria in 2017 in Dublin. We played a 4-5-1 type system, which was stuck, and it only changed when Murph entered, and partnered Walters and we were unlucky not to win that game. France 2009 under Trapp was another good example of the team playing expansively. It was a rarity, but even with the selection quirks etc,, it was there.

Now, we are dealing with a weak slate of players, many of whom are underdeveloped, or at a low ebb in terms of the club form, and I'm not even sure you could drill them into being sufficiently robust to successfully park the bus. But the reality is, playing open will leave us highly vulnerable too.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:19pm
what looked like a favourable group is actually looking like strong chance we finish bottom. Luxembourg punching above their weight at their highest point ever, Azerbaijan starting to look a little more solid for them in that hard to beat, Serbia always very solid and Portugal one of the top 3 sides in the world.
All the while we are at our lowest ebb 

Edited by t_rAndy - 02 Jun 2021 at 11:22pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

what looked like a favourable group is actually looking like strong chance we finish bottom. Luxembourg punching above their weight at their highest point ever, Azerbaijan starting to look a little more solid for them in that hard to beat, Serbia always very solid and Portugal one of the top 3 sides in the world.

Without a dramatic improvement, I wouldn't rule out us finishing the group with a couple of points, or four or five points. I'm not sure how much faith I have, given our current status to get anything out of the nine available from Serbia/Portugal, and any more than a handful from the remaining games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:00am
Interestingly enough, the last two times I was able to attend an Ireland match were the games against Portugul and Mexico at Met Life Stadium.  I was surprised as an Ireland fan that we accounted for only about 20% of the crowd on both occasions.  A far cry from the nearly 70% of the crowd support we had on that wonderful June day at Giant's Stadium against the Italians in 94. (which by the way stands as the single greatest sporting event I've ever attended.)
Big pat View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:08am
II had to join Yr forum after the comments regarding Kenny... is there anymore excuses lef for him?sorry he's clearly out of his depth
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Without a dramatic improvement, I wouldn't rule out us finishing the group with a couple of points, or four or five points. I'm not sure how much faith I have, given our current status to get anything out of the nine available from Serbia/Portugal, and any more than a handful from the remaining games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.

Four max I would say (home win vs. Azerbaijan, draw one of Luxembourg or Azerbaijan away).
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Big pat Big pat wrote:

II had to join Yr forum after the comments regarding Kenny... is there anymore excuses lef for him?sorry he's clearly out of his depth
Red or Brown? Chef brown and Heinz red for me but each to their own.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Big pat Big pat wrote:

There is a Yr forum  ?
Does it get saucy  ?
Send on a link there and we'll all dip a chip in it
Big pat View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:36am
oh so this a padantic forum... sorry I'll try not to abbreviate in future
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 5:39am

I've always thought too much is made about his media skills. He's not the best speaker. End of story.  Move on. On that note I think he's been better and seems to be a bit more relaxed in responding with a laugh to a long winded or awkward question (especially in today's press conference) than he was before.  

What's of most concern imo is how we tend to drift out of games and run out of steam under his system. Ireland have generally started well in games under Kenny but there's a noticeable drop off as the match goes on. This might be explained away as a lot of our players are not playing regularly but I think there's a lack of pragmatism on Kenny's part. I don't ever see him reverting to a direct style going into the dying minutes of a match if we needed a goal and his Plan A wasn't working. 

Given how limited we are in terms of technical skills and pool of talent, our first priority should be making sure we have a solid defence and are hard to beat. 

We've struggled to score goals years before Kenny took over so the lack of scoring certainly isn't his fault alone but it's no coincidence our previous managers all came to the same conclusion in recognising our limitations and set us up with a more pragmatic system. 

I do think there'd be more of a hope of an unlikely flukey draw in Portugal in September if we had Trap/O'Neill or Mick managing the team with a 'park the bus' mentality whereas under Kenny, it's an absolute certainty and acceptance amongst us that Portugal will win and probably by a few.  

I think you've answered this in the next sentence. 

Our players don't play, so expecting them to perform even in a pragmatic system for 2, never mind 3 games, in an international window is unrealistic on our part.

You could argue that against Slovakia, we were the team pushing for a win as the game went on, having our best chances. Since then, our players have played even less for their clubs, and our performances in the recent games have highlighted this.

Edited by The Huntacha - 03 Jun 2021 at 5:40am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:19am
I'm nervous for Kenny.

I want him to do well, like alot of us do. But a start where you fail to win against Qatar, Luxembourg and Andorra. And there's been no positives from it despite all the what if's and but's.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I'm nervous for Kenny.

I want him to do well, like alot of us do. But a start where you fail to win against Qatar, Luxembourg and Andorra. And there's been no positives from it despite all the what if's and but's.

That's a fair and rational summary. Wins need to start  coming today 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:13am

I'm nervous for Kenny.

Very well put! Not even feeling that nervous but thinking if we don’t win tonight where the f**k do they go from here. A win and a few of the new lads get their debut will please most.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'm nervous for Kenny.

That's a fair and rational summary. Wins need to start  coming today 
Ah Jesus if he doesn’t win today he may
as well pack the whole thing in and fill out the CAO again.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Well said, Irishmufc. Lack of pragmatism and no Plan B sums it up perfectly. 

Yep only plan A from what i have seen . You would think there are times when you have to mix it up last minute of a game just hit it long and hope but no , I think it was Finland away we were 1 down and into injury time and we were passing it around the back four .
These two games are good to try new players but i am not going to look more into it than that as win lose or draw tonight i think the dye is cast for Kenny .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Osaka-Kenny-DeNiro

YBIG Clap

up front in a 4-3-3?
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:01am
The best Kenny can do today is break even with a three goal plus win. I suppose if we won by 6 or 7 he might get some credit for the style of play, but anything less than a comfortable three goal victory and he will get slaughtered again, and rightly so.

We're playing a bunch of part timers here, you would expect most LoI teams to beat these lot, never mind the Irish senior team. If these lads cause us significant problems he'd be as well to hand in his resignation tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 735>
  Share Topic