Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 735>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:19pm
Kenny also has to compete with the fact that the players at his disposal have generally had underwhelming to disastrous seasons. 

When you break it down the number of upward moves that have failed, the number of injuries suffered, the number of youth players who didn't make the anticipated step up, the sheer extent of bench warming in the Championship and Premiership, and how that now plays into significant uncertainty as to what the nature of the squad will be in September, creates a very concerning situation.

Kenny has had little luck, but he now has to contend with his charges coming off the back of one of the worst seasons in living memory for Irish players.
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 2:31pm
The other thing that SK doesn't have now is that he hasn't got Stephen O'Donnell and Chris Shields to referee matches like when he was manager in in El Paso..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair I think everyone knows at this stage that the team is sh*t. The problem is that Kenny is setting them up to try and play like they're Manchester City or PSG. Which is crazy because we obviously do not have the players to play that way.

You only have to look at the Nordies in recent years to see that, when your team is sh*t, you have to set up to be solid at the back first and foremost and then play in a way that allows some chances to be created at the other end. That doesn't have to be constant Route 1, there is a middle ground that can be found in terms of style of play, but setting the team up like City or PSG or whoever isn't going to achieve anything with the players we have and it needs to stop.

If that setup is all he has to offer he'd be as well to go now because things aren't going to get any better playing that way with the players we have.

The brits up there have had their own issues dealing with Luxembourg down the years. And they won't be at the Euros this year either.

We're not trying to play like City and PSG. We're trying to bring fresh players through the system, who can actually pass a football properly, while turfing those who can't, out into exile. It's more akin to Brighton than City. That is the priority in this campaign, and probably the next one. Results are really of secondary importance atm, and qualifying is not a serious consideration. It's a complete rebuild of squad, style of play, and how we do things. It's transition and it takes time. And patience. If the price for it is a result at home to Luxembourg, that's the price that has to be paid. 

The mental image of Sam in our dugout, relentlessly chewing gum for 90 minutes, is stomach churning. Then there's the football side of it. The total disconnect between the senior team and the rest of the Irish football set up has been tried far too often and failed far too many times over recent years, to even be contemplated ever again. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:54pm
Fact of the matter is we have not been a really top European team since the mid-90's. We are a mid-ranked team but normally around the second seeds. 
At the moment we are probably around the level of 4th/5th seeds. I think even if we had Alex Ferguson in charge, we would be struggling to get past 3rd seed status with the current level of the squad. 

Whoever is the manager I think it's going to be a struggle through this hopefully transitional period. Have my doubts about Kenny but I also don't know who is able to come in and really do a better job especially when you think about how much FAI can afford to pay.
At least Kenny is not getting paid loads and has the passion to make it work.

Whether he does or not remains to be seen but we will know by the end of this campaign if there are some signs there that we are moving in the right direction or not.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Fact of the matter is we have not been a really top European team since the mid-90's. We are a mid-ranked team but normally around the second seeds. 
At the moment we are probably around the level of 4th/5th seeds. I think even if we had Alex Ferguson in charge, we would be struggling to get past 3rd seed status with the current level of the squad. 

Whoever is the manager I think it's going to be a struggle through this hopefully transitional period. Have my doubts about Kenny but I also don't know who is able to come in and really do a better job especially when you think about how much FAI can afford to pay.

Whether he does or not remains to be seen but we will know by the end of this campaign if there are some signs there that we are moving in the right direction or not.

We're almost half way through the group and so far there are no signs that we are moving in the right direction
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:04pm
Moving Kenny on would be a huge mistake.
As has been stated, we're in a transitional period that will be painful no matter who is in charge and we must stick it out.
Losing to Luxembourg is an unwanted side-effect of this.
It tastes very bad but we will come back from that better and stronger, in due course...but it could take years.

That some folks want Kenny out with no clues as to what we do then is more a testament to their mindset and a short termism that has us where we are in the first place.

shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

We're almost half way through the group and so far there are no signs that we are moving in the right direction

We’ve played 2 group games. We were good in one and rubbish in the other. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

We are a quarter of the way through the group.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 5:49pm
Kenny is as middle of a road Manager as you will find and that’s being kind to him.
Great he pleases some people because he try’s to play more football even though we offer no threat in this way and currently are a mile off being effective playing this style.

He has had no luck but in the middle of this two of the big decision he has to make he has got wrong he backed Doherty over Coleman and secondly he picked Travers over Bazunu in Serbia which probably cost us a result.
That’s what really worries me about him.

Kenny won’t save us he is not capable of it.
The only thing that will get us going again is top players we have a few potentially good defenders close to coming through.
So we should build a system around them and any one can see that.

But until we find a few players capable of putting the ball in the net Kenny’s beliefs won’t be effective enough.

And by the looks of it those players won’t come through until Kenny is long gone.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:11pm
Never understood when fans make claims that a manager is out of his depth or not. Kenny did very well with the u21s, why wasn't he out of his depth there? 

Is it really impossible for Kenny to turn it around once we see better performing players come through? 

You could say that solksjaer is out of his depth at man utd, maybe David Moyes was too? 

Was Sam allardyce out of his depth at West brom? Mourinho at Tottenham? 

Was Trapattoni out of his depth with ireland in the end? 

If Guardiola becomes manager of Burnley, are Burnley expected to win the league? 

Kenny is taking a new group of players that have never played together before and to be fair are not performing with their clubs and is trying to install a philosophy beyond defend deep and hit it long.

Why o' why are fans keen to see us go back to that and claim that its playing to our strength? 

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Never understood when fans make claims that a manager is out of his depth or not. Kenny did very well with the u21s, why wasn't he out of his depth there? 

Is it really impossible for Kenny to turn it around once we see better performing players come through? 

You could say that solksjaer is out of his depth at man utd, maybe David Moyes was too? 

Was Sam allardyce out of his depth at West brom? Mourinho at Tottenham? 

Was Trapattoni out of his depth with ireland in the end? 

If Guardiola becomes manager of Burnley, are Burnley expected to win the league? 

Kenny is taking a new group of players that have never played together before and to be fair are not performing with their clubs and is trying to install a philosophy beyond defend deep and hit it long.

Why o' why are fans keen to see us go back to that and claim that its playing to our strength? 

Maybe because as much as people don’t want to hear that’s where our strengths lie.
If our strengths at the opposite end of the field I’d be advocating that we built a system around them.

Turn and twist it anyway you like if we concede a goal at the moment there is a very good chance we won’t win the game.

We can hardly score once not to mind twice.

No one is saying hoof ball but at the moment it must be built around first and foremost don’t concede.

We can’t compete any other way.

I’d love some one to show me evidence to contrary.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:43pm
I'm not saying that it's not true but I will say it's extremely short sighted.

At the moment we have the players to defend deep and hope for a set piece and not to give away a goal. 

If we continue that tactic and then get better players (which is what we need to plan for) then what? All we have is that tactic.

What other teams have done is set out a tactic, formation and style of play and drill that philosophy into the squads at all levels. This is what we need to do. 

We need to bring a long term approach to the players and get them to buy into it. 

Not look at our players and say, well these players a rubbish, let's hit it long. Which is pretty much what we've done for a decade

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:44pm
LF, it's the results that will keep or sack a manager no matter who , and like i said many times once fans and the media turn against the manager it's only going to end one way . 

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:52pm
It makes a nice change watching us actually hold on to the ball and pass it. The results will come!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

LF, it's the results that will keep or sack a manager no matter who , and like i said many times once fans and the media turn against the manager it's only going to end one way . 

Agreed. But by and large I don't think even close to a majority of either media or the fans have turned against him.

It's fairly obvious that fans and media alike have taken a step back and not getting the usual knee jerk reactions. The current situation with the Irish football team isn't black and white.

But a point will come if things don't change.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'm not saying that it's not true but I will say it's extremely short sighted.

At the moment we have the players to defend deep and hope for a set piece and not to give away a goal. 

If we continue that tactic and then get better players (which is what we need to plan for) then what? All we have is that tactic.

What other teams have done is set out a tactic, formation and style of play and drill that philosophy into the squads at all levels. This is what we need to do. 

We need to bring a long term approach to the players and get them to buy into it. 

Not look at our players and say, well these players a rubbish, let's hit it long. Which is pretty much what we've done for a decade

Why was he not out of his depth at Under 21 level? Well, because it was under 21 level obviously, it's a much lower standard than senior international football. The same way he wasn't out of his depth in the LoI. Again, because it's a much lower standard than senior international football. That was his level. This isn't.

The idea that we can't change tactic in future if we have better attacking players doesn't make sense either. Surely we can just change our tactic then if that ever happens? We're not wedded to one tactic forever, we need to play in a way that suits us now, not what might suit us in five years time.

The idea that we need the senior manager to form some kind of grand plan for the future seems like nonsense to me. The senior manager's job is to get results in the short term, simple as that. By all means we need to be planning for the future but that's not Kenny's job at the moment, that's for someone else to worry about, not the senior team manager. If that's what Kenny wants to do then fine, but he needs to be taken out of his current job in that case and be given some kind of technical director role. 

If he wants to be in the manager's job past November, he needs to start producing results, and fast. Otherwise he'll be gone, and deservedly so.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I’m a Kenny fan - hope he does well. 

What are expectations for the two upcoming friendlies? Weakened squad and end of season friendliest aren’t usually a recipe for good games or performances but given we’re we are, not beating Andorra wouldn’t be great.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

It makes a nice change watching us actually hold on to the ball and pass it. The results will come!

Totally agree with this.

If someone can tell me who the most successful team is that defend deep and play it long is, I'm all ears.

That is generally an approach you see from minnows like Gibraltar. 

Teams like Georgia, Denmark, Slovakia which are generally seen at a similar level to us have left us behind with a more technical passing approach.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 289290291292293 735>
  Share Topic