You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:19pm
what we have is it, that’s all, nothing more, we are Luxembourg level players. Kenny has set up to try and play, hold onto it pass and move, but it’ll be a long wait till we get players through. The present bunch are deplorable (the ones who’ve been here a while)
or poor and low level( the newer ones). If, and it’s a long shot, a continuous and consistent style develops from underage right thru to u21 and senior then we might develop past caveman level in 5 years or so.This has been coming down the road from waaay back, develop the league here at home, put resources into youth academies at all clubs ,in partnership with schoolboy clubs, and get lads playing adult pro football here then moving up a level abroad instead of exporting kids to play u23 friendly sh*te with English clubs at 16 or 17.
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:24pm
We have a limited squad of players, so we should play to our strengths and capatilise on our opponents weaknesses. From the games so far under SK, what are our strengths and are we playing to them. You can't put round pegs in square holes. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Also, WTF are you on about comparing us to PSG? Some other fella said we need to stop trying to play like Barcelona. 

Just because your first instinct isn’t to welly the ball up the pitch doesn’t mean you’re trying to play total football. We’re trying to retain possession more and play the ball out from the back more.

He literally used a clip of Man City v Real Madrid in the fans Q&A a while back to demonstrate the kind of football he was trying to get the team to play. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:58pm
LOL. 

There's only two ways to play. Hoof ball or PSG/Vintage Barcelona.

Hilarious distillation of footballing tactics. Get a grip. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

We have a limited squad of players, so we should play to our strengths and capatilise on our opponents weaknesses. From the games so far under SK, what are our strengths and are we playing to them. You can't put round pegs in square holes. 

I do not think we have any strengths. Taking an hour to take a throw in..waiting for Coleman to come up and take it every time for no apparent reason. Is that a strength?? 
I love beer gardens
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Also, WTF are you on about comparing us to PSG? Some other fella said we need to stop trying to play like Barcelona. 

Just because your first instinct isn’t to welly the ball up the pitch doesn’t mean you’re trying to play total football. We’re trying to retain possession more and play the ball out from the back more.

He literally used a clip of Man City v Real Madrid in the fans Q&A a while back to demonstrate the kind of football he was trying to get the team to play. 
So SK is setting us up like PSG, Barcelona, Man City & Real MadridClapClap

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:17am
I think we've generally been pretty strong defensively under Kenny so I think people are oversimplifying it.

He's mixed up our attacking patterns as his regime progresses and we don't look as one-note as we did early on. We've put more crosses in and stopped trying to pass it aimlessly through the middle when it isn't working, forwards look less isolated and drop deep more to better effect.

It's still the lack of an all-rounder in midfield or a #10 along with the lack of experience up front that's inhibiting us.

I think the Slovakia and Serbia performances have given food for thought. We need to play down to weaker opponents levels more, though.

I maintain we could've gotten at least a point against Serbia with Randolph or Kelleher in goal.

Travers and Bazunu are not ready yet and selecting Travers was something I knew was going to backfire when the teams were announced.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

So SK is setting us up like PSG, Barcelona, Man City & Real MadridClapClap

Yep he is and we end up looking like Grimbsy , Barrow & Dover WinkWink
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I think we've generally been pretty strong defensively under Kenny so I think people are oversimplifying it.

He's mixed up our attacking patterns as his regime progresses and we don't look as one-note as we did early on. We've put more crosses in and stopped trying to pass it aimlessly through the middle when it isn't working, forwards look less isolated and drop deep more to better effect.

It's still the lack of an all-rounder in midfield or a #10 along with the lack of experience up front that's inhibiting us.

I think the Slovakia and Serbia performances have given food for thought. We need to play down to weaker opponents levels more, though.

I maintain we could've gotten at least a point against Serbia with Randolph or Kelleher in goal.

Travers and Bazunu are not ready yet and selecting Travers was something I knew was going to backfire when the teams were announced.

In his 11 games in charge, we've conceded 12 goals, as many as we conceded in the previous 16 games
In the 11 games before Kenny took over, we conceded 7 goals
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

In his 11 games in charge, we've conceded 12 goals, as many as we conceded in the previous 16 games
Go on go on do the goals scored comparisons for the craic.
One thing I can assure you is you won’t need no abacus!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Go on go on do the goals scored comparisons for the craic.
One thing I can assure you is you won’t need no abacus!!

In his 11 games in charge, we've scored 4 goals, as many as we scored in the previous 2 games (1 V Denmark, 3 V New Zealand)
In the 11 games before Kenny took over, we scored 13 goals
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:23pm
In terms of results Kenny needs to be sure of staying on for the EUROs/Nations League campaign, I think this would be a decent return given our expectations providing we finish in 3rd spot.

Portugal  - Away- 2 or 3 nil loss (Need to avoid a hammering if possible)
Azerbaijan - Home - Win of any kind no matter how unconvincing performance wise
Serbia - Home - Draw 

Azerbaijan - Away - Win of any kind no matter how unconvincing performance wise
Portugal - Home  - 2 or 3 nil loss (Need to avoid a hammering if possible)
Luxembourg - Away - Draw as long as it means we finish 3rd otherwise a win to get 3rd spot. 

If we finish on 8 points we'll need need Serbia to beat Luxembourg twice and Azerbaijan to take points of Luxembourg in Baku. We could scrape 3rd spot over Luxembourg on GD but it would be very tight to do it on 8 points. 

We simply have to beat Azerbaijan home and away and they look like they were difficult to beat in the Serbia/Portugal games. 

If Luxembourg have 8/9 points going into our match with them in November we'll have to beat them as we'll only be on 7 points maximum going into that match. 

Edited by irishmufc - 27 May 2021 at 12:24pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:49pm
Let the race for third commence. LOL
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:53pm

In mitigation, Kenny hasn't been able to put out a settled side. No manager has dealt with the personnel issues that have beset him.

Randolph saved us from drawing in Gibraltar under Mick. His replacement was at fault for two goals against Serbia and Bazunu didn't prove much better.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

In terms of results Kenny needs to be sure of staying on for the EUROs/Nations League campaign, I think this would be a decent return given our expectations providing we finish in 3rd spot.

Serbia - Home - Draw 

Luxembourg - Away - Draw as long as it means we finish 3rd otherwise a win to get 3rd spot. 

If we finish on 8 points we'll need need Serbia to beat Luxembourg twice and Azerbaijan to take points of Luxembourg in Baku. We could scrape 3rd spot over Luxembourg on GD but it would be very tight to do it on 8 points. 

We simply have to beat Azerbaijan home and away and they look like they were difficult to beat in the Serbia/Portugal games. 

If Luxembourg have 8/9 points going into our match with them in November we'll have to beat them as we'll only be on 7 points maximum going into that match. 
Auntie Balls Uncle
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:02pm

In mitigation, Kenny hasn't been able to put out a settled side. No manager has dealt with the personnel issues that have beset him.

Randolph saved us from drawing in Gibraltar under Mick. His replacement was at fault for two goals against Serbia and Bazunu didn't prove much better.

That point has been made ad nauseum on here (including by myself) but 11 games without a win is still 11 games without a win. 

He needs a win from these two games to give us some platform to start from going into September's qualifiers. I wouldn't be expecting us to beat Hungary with a weakened Irish squad and Hungary's fringe/squad players trying to stake a EURO 2020 starting place but a draw and a win is badly needed for confidence followed up by a hopefully respectable defeat in Faro.  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Serbia - Home - Draw 

Auntie Balls Uncle

There's a lot alright that needs to go for us but I think it's what Kenny needs in terms of his own position. 

If we finish 4th in this group, I think he'll have lost the players confidence and would need to go. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:18pm

Every manager has to deal with players availability, not in the same level as Kenny granted, but it's rare that we would have every eligible player fit and available for selection
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 735>
  Share Topic