You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:25am
Enjoyed the article, it does push the boundaries but it also makes me excited to see Kenny comes in. Hopefully Mick lifts the spirits but Kenny changes the football approach. Fair play to him, seems like a good character. 
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
A 5 hour interview with Kimmage!  Jaysus.  Now wonder Roy went nuts on that island!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm
i lost interest after a few of those silly questions. waste of print.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:18pm
Kimmage is a bit of a prick, but he is trying to get an interesting reaction from people. I don't always enjoy the results, but that was a great interview. I think Kenny handled him brilliantly. If he can handle Kimmage he will be fine with the rest of the media.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm
Being interviewed by Paul Kimmage seems like an ordeal for someone like Stephen Kenny.Why put yourself through it? Is he an journalist or a pseudo psychiatrist?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Being interviewed by Paul Kimmage seems like an ordeal for someone like Stephen Kenny.Why put yourself through it? Is he an journalist or a pseudo psychiatrist?

Being interviewed by Kimmage is like being Jack Nicholson in The Shining with Delbert Grady constantly in your ear trying to provoke a reaction.  Eventually you go mad.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:41pm
The most important part of that interview was about the Kilbane reference that Irish Internationals playing in England have a superior complex over LOI !!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty close to the game and have always found that.
Its something Stephen is going to have to overcome and very quickly.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

As mentioned above, I think that is just Kimmage's style. 

Yeah exactly, Kimmage is pretty unique in style
Enjoyable read
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:12pm
Excellent piece. FFS would people just prefer the say nothing soundbytes that are too often served up? 

I found the bit about his mate's suicide while his family was still in Donegal and Rovers playing Cork eye-opening in terms of him facing all that alone. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Excellent piece. FFS would people just prefer the say nothing soundbytes that are too often served up? 

I found the bit about his mate's suicide while his family was still in Donegal and Rovers playing Cork eye-opening in terms of him facing all that alone. 

That's a fair point. I think what I was thinking was that having read some of his programme notes, it's obvious that the world outside of football is very important to him - He often highlights issues etc. I was hoping to hear a bit more about that side of him. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:32pm
So much in that interview. 

How he deals with tough questions. 

That he doesn’t back down

He doesn’t give glib answers. 

He thinks about what he is saying.  

In relation to the Programmes notes v interviews, I believe he opens up in notes as that is on his own terms and he has full control. In an interview you don’t 

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
AKA pedantic kunt
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:40pm
That was a good read, and I liked how Kimmage tried to put it to him. It seemed to settle the tone and replies from Kenny as it went on. There was a lot "Ehhh" and "Hmm" answers to begin with, or "I dont know" to single word replies in "Yeah" or "Maybe". It made him think a bit and give a more comprehensive answer.

I got a chuckle out of his mention for his former school teacher McGovern ...I'd him myself having gone to the same school. A gent of a man but had a real tendency to stray off topic and waffle on for 40mins about the good aul days.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 1:20pm
Given the lack of talent for the upcoming campaign, but the obvious talent coming through at youth levels, Kenny's delay in becoming senior team manager is looking more and more like a blessing in disguise. 

He could be inheriting some cracking players in the next 18 months, all going well. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm
The more I think of the plan, the more I generally like it.

The Under 21 setup, along with Kenny’s intimate knowledge of the LOI will give him a long time to survey the terrain before taking the reigns. McCarthy is best placed to navigate us through this period where we lack a number of match winners, and have no world class players in the setup.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The more I think of the plan, the more I generally like it.

The Under 21 setup, along with Kenny’s intimate knowledge of the LOI will give him a long time to survey the terrain before taking the reigns. McCarthy is best placed to navigate us through this period where we lack a number of match winners, and have no world class players in the setup.

Have to agree with you there. It's obviously not any master plan that the FAI have thought through, but Kenny looks to be in a position where he has been given the best possible scenario when it comes to taking on the senior  team team.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Kenny will also have the 6 UEFA Nations League C games to settle into the job. There will be no pressure on those games so it’s the perfect opportunity to get used to the job and experiment with the squad. We’ll truly see the benefit of the Nations League next time as these competitive games are much more useful than friendlies yet the manager still has the freedom to try out new things before the actual qualifiers begin. We would have really been throwing Kenny in the deep end if we appointed him now. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Southsidebohs View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southsidebohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 8:37pm
Breakfast talk and Q&A with Stephen Kenny in the Red Cow on Monday morning. Should be well worth the €10 cost with breakfast included.

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Southsidebohs Southsidebohs wrote:

Breakfast talk and Q&A with Stephen Kenny in the Red Cow on Monday morning. Should be well worth the €10 cost with breakfast included.

It looks pretty good value.

Pity it wasn't on a bit earlier (and finish earlier). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 735>
  Share Topic