Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Big week coming up for Kenny . 
Now until we get over the weekend we dont know who we will pull out of the squad .
Now i would say Kenny knows 8 of the 11 who he will have out in Belgrade and will make his mind up on the other 3 during the week . 
Hard to guess how we will set up, will he be thinking of locking up shop and get out with a goaless draw or will he roll the dice and take it to Serbia .
I would take a draw now for sure , i can't see us scoring really but hope i am wrong . 
I hope the three undecided are hendrick, Hourihane and Brady !

Don't think Robbie is anywhere near 100% fit from what i saw last Saturday . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Big week coming up for Kenny . 
Now until we get over the weekend we dont know who we will pull out of the squad .
Now i would say Kenny knows 8 of the 11 who he will have out in Belgrade and will make his mind up on the other 3 during the week . 
Hard to guess how we will set up, will he be thinking of locking up shop and get out with a goaless draw or will he roll the dice and take it to Serbia .
I would take a draw now for sure , i can't see us scoring really but hope i am wrong . 
I hope the three undecided are hendrick, Hourihane and Brady !

Don't think Robbie is anywhere near 100% fit from what i saw last Saturday . 
Even in his pomp he never looked the most energetic!

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:02pm
Kelleher, McClean and Connolly are the three main doubts with Connolly having the best chance of making it. Brady should play some of the game but probably not all of it. Fingers crossed there are no more problems over the weekend.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Solid performance and a draw would be a great start but has to be followed up v Lux. 

I'd take that all day long... need to get all our ducks in a row.

If connolly, kelleher are fit. Doherty and Coleman hit some good form which we know they can do.

I think we'll be good for those results
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Solid performance and a draw would be a great start but has to be followed up v Lux. 

I'd take that all day long... need to get all our ducks in a row.

If connolly, kelleher are fit. Doherty and Coleman hit some good form which we know they can do.

I think we'll be good for those results

Realistically if we lose Serbia we are all but out already. Serbia would likely have 2nd sown up if they obtained maximum points against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. I can’t see us getting any points against Portugal and that means even if won all our remaining games we would likely end up losing out on goal difference (GD is never our strong point). I’d bite your hand off for 4pts this week and a Serbia loss to Portugal. The manager should not be under any pressure regardless. Unless we fail to beat Luxembourg and get absolutely mauled by Serbia. We definitely need to start scoring!

Edited by AonSceal19 - 19 Mar 2021 at 10:23pm
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:22pm
I just want to see us play well against Serbia. I’m expecting us to lose and I don’t mind if we do, as long as there’s some progression in our play. We’re a mid to lower tier European side at the moment. Our squad is as poor as I can ever remember.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I just want to see us play well against Serbia. I’m expecting us to lose and I don’t mind if we do, as long as there’s some progression in our play. We’re a mid to lower tier European side at the moment. Our squad is as poor as I can ever remember.

agree with this. It's OK to want to qualify for major tournaments but expectations need to be managed and certainly emotions kept in check
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 6:49am

Id take that too, get a solid foundation in place, but its building on it thats important. Ive accepted not qualifying this time out once theres a clear sign of progress. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:14am

What constitutes progression in our play?
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

What constitutes progression in our play?

Scoring a goal would be progress at this stage.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 12:32pm
Remember Serbia also have a new manager and had a poor World Cup qualifying campaign previously, so while I expect us to lose, we don't really know what shape Serbia are in themselves. 

I don't think we will get hammered - if we play well for some of the game create some chances and lost by the odd goal I'd take that. I'm hoping we can play like we did v Slovakia.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Remember Serbia also have a new manager and had a poor World Cup qualifying campaign previously, so while I expect us to lose, we don't really know what shape Serbia are in themselves. 

I don't think we will get hammered - if we play well for some of the game create some chances and lost by the odd goal I'd take that. I'm hoping we can play like we did v Slovakia.

Some excellent points there Artie, and you are of course right. I think Serbia have some very good players and the game should lean to their advantage but there is also a lot of things that may make them vulnerable like the new manager, new formation etc.

If we can get at them early on they may lose sight of the new game plan set by the new manager 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:14pm
Kenny has the mess that was the nations league under his belt and a playoff.  This is the Serb managers first game in charge.  They have better players than us but they are not in better shape off the field.  They did play well away to Norway when we were playing f Slovakia and lost in penos to Scotland a game they were poor in. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:23pm
Serbia could lose their three France based players, also some of their established internationals have been jettisoned. These include Crystal Palace captain Milivojevic, who is not a creative enough midfielder for the new manager's liking. He has said that they expect to beat Ireland, want to play fluent exciting football and that the Scotland defeat was an aberration which must never happen again. Lots of big talk, let's see if he delivers.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Serbia could lose their three France based players, also some of their established internationals have been jettisoned. These include Crystal Palace captain Milivojevic, who is not a creative enough midfielder for the new manager's liking. He has said that they expect to beat Ireland, want to play fluent exciting football and that the Scotland defeat was an aberration which must never happen again. Lots of big talk, let's see if he delivers.

Hopefully stojkovic is a bit of a spoofer.his managerial career is certainly nothing to write home about...he’s had little success in Japan and China and his teams there shipped goals.he’s dealing with better quality players with the national team but I think don’t think there as good a side as some on here are making out to be.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

...his managerial career is certainly nothing to write home about...he’s had little success in Japan and China...he’s dealing with better quality players with the national team but I think don’t think there as good a side as some on here are making out to be.

Sounds not too dissimilar to our manager then who was sacked from his only job outside of Ireland and who has produced nothing so far as Irish manager. He has 0% win record and only 1 goal scored under him. The Serbia match is going to tell a lot one way or another but I do hope it works out for him.

Edited by grannyrule - 20 Mar 2021 at 2:22pm
The only way is up
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Milivojevic has retired.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 3:21pm
Doesn't come across as a happy bunny, does he ? A good Premiership player forced out and apparent friction within the Serbian national camp. Good omens, maybe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 241242243244245 735>
  Share Topic