Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

And if we do, Kenny should be given the freedom of the country.  I know hope springs eternal, but we are ridiculously slow to accept reality.

LOL

Didn't you say the same about Mick if we managed to beat Denmark going into that decider that every dog in the street knew was going to end in a 1-1 heroic failure?  

Even if Denmark hadn't scored, we still would've drawn the match. 

There was a depressing inevitability in the lead up that match that it would be a draw. Even though we surprised Denmark who were in second gear during the game, we still couldn't make it count and take advantage of it. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

And if we do, Kenny should be given the freedom of the country.  I know hope springs eternal, but we are ridiculously slow to accept reality.

LOL

Didn't you say the same about Mick if we managed to beat Denmark going into that decider that every dog in the street knew was going to end in a 1-1 heroic failure?  

There was a depressing inevitability in the lead up that match that it would be a draw. Even though we surprised Denmark who were in second gear during the game, we still couldn't make it count and take advantage of it. 

Yeah, because  it was a realistic appraisal of our situation. We were never going to beat Denmark, but we could draw and pretend we could have!
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Lads, does Mitrovic still start for Serbia? Just cut to him on the bench on BT, Jesus he's two stone overweight.....
Unlikely- they have Vlahovic at Fiorentina and Jovic at Frankfurt/Madrid who are both pretty high quality players.

I think Kostic (also Frankfurt) on the left wing will be their main threat, he’s absolute quality. Definitely a case to play both of Coleman and Doherty down the right
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:12pm

LOL

Yeah, because  it was a realistic appraisal of our situation. We were never going to beat Denmark, but we could draw and pretend we could have!

Yah, I was agreeing with you then as well. You might've misinterpreted my post when I was laughing at the freedom of the country comment. A decent challenge from Ireland for second spot would see Kenny get another campaign at least. 

We're not at the N.I./Wales lowest points yet imo and I expect us to finish 3rd and hopefully a half decent challenge for second place. 

I think if we lose in Serbia the second spot objective is a write off and the rest of the campaign will be about winning as many games as possible to cement third place. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:22pm
No worries at all. I think Kenny deserves all the time in the world, because we won't do better and can't afford any better! It's the delusion I find bizarre!  The 'even if' we don't come second stuff. We are sh*te. The same lads would give out about England fans talking about winning the World Cup, but I would say there's a far better chance of them winning it than us qualifying. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I agree PM.  I think as a football fan many of us watch football with both our head and our heart.  

Your heart gives you hope and it is deluded at times too and it can also give you pessimism at times.  I am sure most football fans can relate to it’s the hope that kills you. So as an Ireland fan I would have hope that we can get four points from our next two games and it’s possible.  

However once you start analysing  it your head has to say that 3rd is the best we can expect and we have a really poor to average group of players and we are struggling big time and do not have anyone who scored regularly at a decent level.  

I think what has happened on here is that because we won’t fulfill what people hope for in their hearts that the manager gets the blame for that for disappointing them and they take their anger out on the manager when the reality is we don’t have the players for much better than 2nd. 
Third, surely? We are miles off both the other sides in our group, regardless of injuries or anything else. The only slim hope is that Serbia repeat their history of underachievement and even then we don't seem to be in any position to capitalise. 
Luxembourg and Azerbaijan are both tricky. 10 points from 12 against them would be a good return and anything else would be a bonus.

Yeah sorry brain saying one thing and typing another.  3rd of course. 

I know things aren't good with our team but I don't think we're at the Wales/N.I. level when they were at their lowest ebb throughout the late 90s/2000s where they were nearly the whipping boys off the group. That's going a bit too far to describe us at that level now imo.  

Historically and generally I suppose, we're fairly competitive for second spot in most of our qualification campaigns. 

Serbia are a dangerous side because they're unpredictable and temperamental which can work to our advantage in some ways but to our detriment in others. They have the capability of dropping points to us at home but then beating Portugal given they have the players to do so. 

I'm still glad we got Serbia over Switzerland that N.I. got as at the very least there is sliver of hope that we can compete with them for second spot. They don't have the consistency of Denmark and Switzerland who they are arguably just as good technically. 

Switzerland are a better side then Serbia and there isn’t a metric around which would tell you otherwise. Denmark a better side too. 

I am very realistic at the moment and am dreading getting 1pt out of the 2 games  as Irish football does seem to be at a bit of a nadir in general constant injuries on the field, off the field in disarray. 

Being positive though on ability as a total squad we aren’t a million miles behind Serbia who have better players on paper yes. We despite the potential injuries will still pick a side that has 6-9 players playing at a top flight club. Cullen arguably too playing for Anderlecht a decent side and Hourihane/Long etc playing for top 6/8 Championship clubs. 

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Mar 2021 at 10:26pm
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

A lot of pessimism on here and not many giving us any hope of getting anything in these upcoming games, especially with our injury crisis.

I just hope, if results don't go our way, there is a bit of realism on here and we don't have the same posters stating that Kenny is out of his depth and has to go.

Lenny , you can say whatever you want but the two big games this month with Serbia and Lux will go a long way to see where we are heading .

Six points = unreal we can go all the way
Four points = super sets us up for Sept
Three points = well we beat Lux but have to Beat Serbia at home
Two points = just not good enough
One point = looks like the World cup is going out the window , and people on here said Kenny was out of his depth .
Zero points = Just walk away now Kenny .

That's my take on it .

ridiculously fickle LOL
What's ridiculously fickle about it? It takes in all scenarios and arrives at obvious conclusions for each. 

considering we've had 5 months of hearing how Kenny is this and that, it is the definition of fickle to completely 180 opinions on the basis of 1 or 2 results
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:36am
Are we actually contemplating a home loss to Luxembourg?? Come on
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 7:16am
If ever there was a WC to miss out on its Quatar. Russia on the other hand would have been epic. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:04am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

If ever there was a WC to miss out on its Quatar. Russia on the other hand would have been epic. 
Mind you there won't be many world cups where you can access all world cup stadia within 70 minutes of one hotel booking.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:15am
Serbia just like ourselves failed to qualify for Euro 2020.
On paper they’ve a slightly better squad but that’s about the difference at the moment - so no gulf.
We may well finish loose / draw / win games against them or we may loose both.

Predicting or having an opinion  we’ll be a distant 3rd/4th before a ball is kicked is fine. Repeat posting about it ... why bother?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Are we actually contemplating a home loss to Luxembourg?? Come on
No. A home loss to Luxembourg would be a new low for Irish football. For that reason, it would surely have consequences for the manager.  

The thing is we will soon find out one way or the other , to be very honest nothing would shock at this moment in time . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:35am
I would be shocked if you gave the manger a chance 
AKA pedantic kunt
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Serbia just like ourselves failed to qualify for Euro 2020.
On paper they’ve a slightly better squad but that’s about the difference at the moment - so no gulf.
We may well finish loose / draw / win games against them or we may loose both.

Predicting or having an opinion  we’ll be a distant 3rd/4th before a ball is kicked is fine. Repeat posting about it ... why bother?

On paper their squad is miles better than ours.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
I can't see us qualifying for the wc. Our squad is decimated with injuries at the minute and plus its a squad in transition which we might not see their full potential until 12 to 18 months time under Kennys style of play. I trust Kenny and what he is trying to achieve and getting rid of him would not help in the long term. Who could possibly transform this team to be world beaters after a couple of training sessions? Patience id needed is needed before we can properly compete again. 
Chips don't bounce
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:55pm
Big week coming up for Kenny . 
Now until we get over the weekend we dont know who we will pull out of the squad .
Now i would say Kenny knows 8 of the 11 who he will have out in Belgrade and will make his mind up on the other 3 during the week . 
Hard to guess how we will set up, will he be thinking of locking up shop and get out with a goaless draw or will he roll the dice and take it to Serbia .
I would take a draw now for sure , i can't see us scoring really but hope i am wrong . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm
Solid performance and a draw would be a great start but has to be followed up v Lux. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Big week coming up for Kenny . 
Now until we get over the weekend we dont know who we will pull out of the squad .
Now i would say Kenny knows 8 of the 11 who he will have out in Belgrade and will make his mind up on the other 3 during the week . 
Hard to guess how we will set up, will he be thinking of locking up shop and get out with a goaless draw or will he roll the dice and take it to Serbia .
I would take a draw now for sure , i can't see us scoring really but hope i am wrong . 
I hope the three undecided are hendrick, Hourihane and Brady !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 240241242243244 735>
  Share Topic