Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:47pm
lads if you don’t think we have goals in the side how can you blame Kenny so

Edited by Baldrick - 11 Mar 2021 at 7:55pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

lads if you don’t think we goals in the side how can you blame Kenny so

Now now Baldie don't be bringing logic like this on here 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Idah is the dissapointing one in that I would accuse Norwich of handling his development poorly. No issue with him being behind Pukki and competing with Hugill two top strikers at that level Norwich are at but it’s little use to Idah coming off the bench for 5-10 minutes.

Particularly as Norwich will almost definitely go up and if they do will almost certainly buy more firepower to try to stay up this time round. So he will have lost a year, a key development year.

They will go up yeah and I suspect will add another attacker to their ranks. I’d love to see him get a decent loan even if it was to a promotion chasing League 1 side but he should get one at a Championship side. Just a side where he will play every week. 

Also a side that will suit him. He got plenty stick for his Ireland appearances but he was dropping a mile too deep with no support isolated what was going on with Ireland was a f**king shambles for him. He’s a proper centre forward get him up high in around the box thats his strength. 
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:29pm
This is by far the weakest squad in a lifetime not to mention so many are out of form. A third place finish in this group would be a good achievement.  Four points from these 2 games would be a miracle - three  is realistic. 

Anyone who is looking for management heads on blocks based on points and qualifying are completely out of touch. We are light years away from qualifying unless we give a manager time to nurture the young talent coming through and hope against hope some of those breakthrough in the eighteen months ahead of euro 24 qualification.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:32pm
One of the few positives for Kenny with all this horrendous luck that he's had to endure since day one, is if he somehow manages to pull 4 points out of the next two games, his stock will rise considerably. 

Judge someone in the bad times not the good.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:40pm
Il always try and look at the positives and the one thing I would say is that this surely with the same amount of injuries and things going wrong represents close to a nadir for Irish soccer. 

The only way can surely be up. It’s a reflection of the sh*t served up off the field these last 20 years and the lack of talent developed in the last 10 in particular too. 

No point using it as a stick to beat the younger lads developing now born in 99 right the way through to 03/04. It’s important to give them time to learn their trade. There is a conveyor belt of talent particularly home grown again and hopefully they get back fit now no Euros will give the injured players the summer off to get ready/recover etc. 

Kelleher O’Shea Collins Knight are just 4 who hardly could have dreamed of such good seasons. I think myself the fact none of the 4 highly touted young attackers have gotten much luck or hit the ground like roadrunners has soured a lot of people. If Parrott or Idah went and banged in 20 goals the same people would be a lot more positive about our “future” 

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Mar 2021 at 4:42pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:43pm
Yes, starting to think Kenny might actually be getting lucky with all these call offs. A lot of supporters were/are still of the mindset that he should be judged based on qualification from the group, regardless of how unlikely that ever was to happen.

If the call offs keep up at this rate he will get a free pass through this campaign regardless of results on the basis of a "not fair to judge him with all the injuries, give him a shot at the 2024 Euros" defence.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:00pm
I think the equivalent for Kenny at the moment would be telling whomever the new manager of Sheffield United will be that he will be measured on his qualifying for the champions league this season.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes, starting to think Kenny might actually be getting lucky with all these call offs. A lot of supporters were/are still of the mindset that he should be judged based on qualification from the group, regardless of how unlikely that ever was to happen.

If the call offs keep up at this rate he will get a free pass through this campaign regardless of results on the basis of a "not fair to judge him with all the injuries, give him a shot at the 2024 Euros" defence.

I would say Kenny is the absolute opposite of lucky. Even his interview with fans,  technical disaster. The opposite of the midas touch.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:17pm
I think both a manager and fans alike would admit that if you're going to have horrendous luck and a string of bad results at any point in your tenure you'd much rather it happened at the start especially in international football.

Like a mediocre movie that starts slow the audience will always forgive you if it ends well. Never the other way around. 

Could be the making of Kenny in the Irish job. If you can ride this one out you have to say that he's pretty much prepared for anything. 

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

A lot of pessimism on here and not many giving us any hope of getting anything in these upcoming games, especially with our injury crisis.

I just hope, if results don't go our way, there is a bit of realism on here and we don't have the same posters stating that Kenny is out of his depth and has to go.

Lenny , you can say whatever you want but the two big games this month with Serbia and Lux will go a long way to see where we are heading .

Six points = unreal we can go all the way
Four points = super sets us up for Sept
Three points = well we beat Lux but have to Beat Serbia at home
Two points = just not good enough
One point = looks like the World cup is going out the window , and people on here said Kenny was out of his depth .
Zero points = Just walk away now Kenny .

That's my take on it .

ridiculously fickle LOL
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

A lot of pessimism on here and not many giving us any hope of getting anything in these upcoming games, especially with our injury crisis.

I just hope, if results don't go our way, there is a bit of realism on here and we don't have the same posters stating that Kenny is out of his depth and has to go.

Lenny , you can say whatever you want but the two big games this month with Serbia and Lux will go a long way to see where we are heading .

Six points = unreal we can go all the way
Four points = super sets us up for Sept
Three points = well we beat Lux but have to Beat Serbia at home
Two points = just not good enough
One point = looks like the World cup is going out the window , and people on here said Kenny was out of his depth .
Zero points = Just walk away now Kenny .

That's my take on it .
Even this is unlikely to be much use, as Serbia will outscore us across the other games even if we match their results. Makes this first game huge - a draw really would be a great result.
theres an argument that 2 points are better than 3 as reduces an advantage Serbia would have over us. Serbia could find it hard to break us down and then we follow suit v Lux.
But if we can’t beat lux at home then when will we and what would it mean for morale in the squad.

Supporting Ireland - not a ball kicked and we’re looking at the combinations or is it permutations  - we should know the difference at this stage.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 1:54pm
let’s just forget the manager for a second. Ireland is no where near the top 13 sides in Europe. Only 13 teams qualify for the World Cup. For us to qualify we would have to top our group or finish 2nd and then navigate ourselves through two singles leg playoffs. If people want Kenny sacked if it doesn’t qualify us for the World Cup then we may as well sack him now. You could pick any manager in the world to take us over and the best he could do is get us a playoff and hope the draw is kind to us to even give us a slight chance of qualifying.

Realistically Kenny should be aiming to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan and start scoring goals. If there is clear progression this campaign in terms of performances then he should be the man for Euro 2024. A positive result and performance in either of the Serbia games along with wins against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan should definitely justify that.

Ireland should be judged by qualifying for the Euros in their current state. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

let’s just forget the manager for a second. Ireland is no where near the top 13 sides in Europe. Only 13 teams qualify for the World Cup. For us to qualify we would have to top our group or finish 2nd and then navigate ourselves through two singles leg playoffs. If people want Kenny sacked if it doesn’t qualify us for the World Cup then we may as well sack him now. You could pick any manager in the world to take us over and the best he could do is get us a playoff and hope the draw is kind to us to even give us a slight chance of qualifying.

Realistically Kenny should be aiming to beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan and start scoring goals. If there is clear progression this campaign in terms of performances then he should be the man for Euro 2024. A positive result and performance in either of the Serbia games along with wins against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan should definitely justify that.

We have not kicked a ball and most have us down at maybe finishing 3rd or 4th .

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm

It may have escaped your notice, but we are sh*te. We are now at the level Wales and North Iron used to be at where we will get an occasional humping against the decent sides and maybe worse. There's no dressing it up. Third is our level and all that can be expected. I think anything over ten points would be a great achievement.
Lads on here give out about the delusions of English fans and then expect us to qualify without a midfield or striker. The games against Serbia and Portugal are more about performance than results, it is about making sure of third and developing lads.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:25pm

Qualifying for a World Cup is tough. When you’re a county like Ireland you need a bit of luck as well. Martin got us to a playoff last time. This time we have a weaker squad and now you have to beat two different countries in the playoffs. Mick finished 3rd in the previous Euro 2020 campaign. That would not be good enough for a World Cup playoff. I’m not expecting anything!
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:33pm
I agree PM.  I think as a football fan many of us watch football with both our head and our heart.  

Your heart gives you hope and it is deluded at times too and it can also give you pessimism at times.  I am sure most football fans can relate to it’s the hope that kills you. So as an Ireland fan I would have hope that we can get four points from our next two games and it’s possible.  

However once you start analysing  it your head has to say that 3rd is the best we can expect and we have a really poor to average group of players and we are struggling big time and do not have anyone who scored regularly at a decent level.  

I think what has happened on here is that because we won’t fulfill what people hope for in their hearts that the manager gets the blame for that for disappointing them and they take their anger out on the manager when the reality is we don’t have the players for much better than 2nd. 

Edited by Baldrick - 13 Mar 2021 at 2:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
Even with a fully fit squad, it would be a battle to get 2nd place. 

Any hope I have has nothing to do with us but with others. Decent 2nd/3rd tier teams are far too partial to a meltdown. 

Austria is usually a.bad draw, but had a meltdown last time out in our group. 

Serbia have a new manager. A cult hero. I get the feeling they'll comfortably make 2nd or brain fart their way through the group.

We'll always have the incompetence of other teams to hope for. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 13 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 735>
  Share Topic