Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

It's a strange one as i look forward to the games on one hand and on the other i am worried to death what might happen .

Worried to death 😀😀😀 Jesus Murph a bit OTT there.  It’s just a couple of games and we are a mediocre side.  

Yer you are right maybe a bit too over the top , hey it's not like the time when you were stood at the bottom of my bed with your lad out , now i was Very Worried i can tell yer Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:21am
ffs ha ha brilliant 
AKA pedantic kunt
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
my biggest concern is those we touted as future attacking talents 18 months ago have yet to establish themselves at club level for various reasons. Our attacking and goal threat options were really limited under Mick and even more so now.  I'm not sure what the situation is with  Long and SK but i think we will need him against Serbia, if he plays Hourihane over Cullen/McCarthy in front of our back four  then I give up.   I actually could not predict what team he will go with apart from maybe Coleman and Clarke and Stevens.
royal rover
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:33pm
It might be time to give them all cascarinos french milkshakes
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

A lot of pessimism on here and not many giving us any hope of getting anything in these upcoming games, especially with our injury crisis.

I just hope, if results don't go our way, there is a bit of realism on here and we don't have the same posters stating that Kenny is out of his depth and has to go.

Lenny , you can say whatever you want but the two big games this month with Serbia and Lux will go a long way to see where we are heading .

Six points = unreal we can go all the way
Four points = super sets us up for Sept
Three points = well we beat Lux but have to Beat Serbia at home
Two points = just not good enough
One point = looks like the World cup is going out the window , and people on here said Kenny was out of his depth .
Zero points = Just walk away now Kenny .

That's my take on it .
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:59pm

A lot of pessimism on here and not many giving us any hope of getting anything in these upcoming games, especially with our injury crisis.

I just hope, if results don't go our way, there is a bit of realism on here and we don't have the same posters stating that Kenny is out of his depth and has to go.

Lenny , you can say whatever you want but the two big games this month with Serbia and Lux will go a long way to see where we are heading .

One point = looks like the World cup is going out the window , and people on here said Kenny was out of his depth .

That's my take on it .
6 points and get a statue of Kenny outside Lansdowne Road
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:03pm
If, let's say, Guardiola was in charge of this team going into the WC qualifiers, do you think we would qualify comfortably? 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:03pm
While some may question Kenny's pedigree (I don't) there's no doubting that we can't question the quality of premier League coaches in Anthony Barry and Dean Kiely. Think we will get a win over Luxembourg at home and that will be that for this window, hopefully by the time the September window comes around we might be in a better position regarding players playing first team football at their clubs etc..

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 11 Mar 2021 at 2:04pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by royal rover royal rover wrote:

my biggest concern is those we touted as future attacking talents 18 months ago have yet to establish themselves at club level for various reasons. Our attacking and goal threat options were really limited under Mick and even more so now.  I'm not sure what the situation is with  Long and SK but i think we will need him against Serbia, if he plays Hourihane over Cullen/McCarthy in front of our back four  then I give up.   I actually could not predict what team he will go with apart from maybe Coleman and Clarke and Stevens.

I think plenty of our younger players have made great strides but the problem is that none of our attacking talents have quite kicked on. Connolly has done fine for Brighton very much established in their 18 but just hasn’t hit the back of the net. 

Obafemi had horrible ill timed luck with his injury. Parrott hasn’t really fired at all but is only turned 19. 

Idah is the dissapointing one in that I would accuse Norwich of handling his development poorly. No issue with him being behind Pukki and competing with Hugill two top strikers at that level Norwich are at but it’s little use to Idah coming off the bench for 5-10 minutes. 

I’d love to see him go out on loan next year to a decent side where he plays every week. Think he’s the one out of them all that could turn into a Pukki,Mitrovic Glenn Murray, type striker who is a profilic finder of the net. Kieffer Moore even for Wales. 

They don’t have to be superstars if they can find the net regularly at high level Championship level even they will have no problem doing so at International level.

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Mar 2021 at 2:13pm
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm

That's my take on it .
Even this is unlikely to be much use, as Serbia will outscore us across the other games even if we match their results. Makes this first game huge - a draw really would be a great result.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:53pm
Ahh if we don’t bag 4 points from those first 2 games we can forget it. 

It’s a bit like the last group. The draw away against Denmark kept us in the fight and made it a nervy 3 horse race. A draw against Serbia does likewise. All of a sudden Serbia nick a draw against the Portuguese Portugal know if they don’t beat us then they are in danger of falling into a scrap.

On paper Portugal will batter us of course but Portugal are not like Belgium England or Spain who steamroll teams in qualifying. Portugal can be bone idle in qualifying groups the last one against Ukraine and Serbia Ukraine beat them to top spot and they were only a few points clear of Serbia who were close in 3rd. 

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Mar 2021 at 2:53pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Idah is the dissapointing one in that I would accuse Norwich of handling his development poorly. No issue with him being behind Pukki and competing with Hugill two top strikers at that level Norwich are at but it’s little use to Idah coming off the bench for 5-10 minutes.

Particularly as Norwich will almost definitely go up and if they do will almost certainly buy more firepower to try to stay up this time round. So he will have lost a year, a key development year.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:02pm
I woul nearly take  the 3 points from 2 games if we were offered them now. At least it would keep us in contention.

I can see us having big difficulty in breaking them down, there isn't as big a gap between our players and theirs as there traditionally would be and they are up to 4th seeds for a reason
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm
We'll get one point or three points from the Serbia/Luxembourg games.

Defensively we'll be playing a new partnership. We are unlikely to play Duffy and Egan is out. So we'll likely play Clarke and oshea or maybe Doherty at centre back again. So might be a bit makeshift.

Midfield is a real headache, there is no player that you would say, yes! He needs to play in the whole squad. Calls for hourihane and hendrick to be removed are not unreasonable at this point but you're left with players that might be worse....

Forwards.... there are simply no goals in the squad... if we go down a goal to serbia I think that's it. If we conceded vs Luxembourg I can't see us scoring goals 2 to win the game.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:51pm
The headache for me is keeper and striker. Our first three options for keeper are on their respective benches, and the first two have had injury problems post Christmas (and that doesnt include Westwood). 

We have striking options, but you either go for the less inspiring Collins or Hogan (neither have had exceptional starts to their International careers), Long (on history rather than on current or recent goalscoring form), Maguire, or Idah who has struggled with injury and is only really getting to grips with top level football. Parrott and Curtis are in the lower leagues. Apart from Long, a couple of international goals between them, and we have scored one in eight.

To me, the midfield, just isnt particularly inspiring, but it is functional. The defence is where we have our best availability, and the wing forward position isnt too bad. But in terms of keeper and centre forward, well, I'm not sure id criticise anybody for their opinion.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

I woul nearly take  the 3 points from 2 games if we were offered them now. At least it would keep us in contention.

I can see us having big difficulty in breaking them down, there isn't as big a gap between our players and theirs as there traditionally would be and they are up to 4th seeds for a reason

We have to take a draw against Serbia if we have any notion of getting second spot.

We are most likely to get 1-1 draws against a lot of the teams as opposed to beating them. A 1-1 is like a win for us.

Edited by horsebox - 11 Mar 2021 at 3:59pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We are most likely to get 1-1 draws against a lot of the teams as opposed to beating them. A 1-1 is like a win for us.

I would certainly have agreed with you, only some much has happened in the past 18 months, that I think we have never been as weak as a team, nor do I feel the collective is better than any one individual. I think apart from Coleman we don't have a natural leader, we certainly don't have an outstanding individual player, and the rest of the team is journeyman-esque. We don't have anything approaching a prolific goalscorer, and in midfield we don't have anybody with the guile to break other teams down,

I have even said it before, given the difficulties that the team currently has, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with some sort of a Frankenstein's monster team, and the most difficult thing to concede is that, that might actually be the best way in the short term. Our young lads aren't playing enough at club level to warrant inclusion, our obvious team is injured and out of form, and that opens up potentials, but it also creates a bit of a "needs must". But even at that, without just a solid team, I don't think there is much hope of getting draws (particularly against the likes of Serbia), and I think there could be a touch of Euro 2012 about the Portugal fixtures.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We'll get one point or three points from the Serbia/Luxembourg games.

Defensively we'll be playing a new partnership. We are unlikely to play Duffy and Egan is out. So we'll likely play Clarke and oshea or maybe Doherty at centre back again. So might be a bit makeshift.

Midfield is a real headache, there is no player that you would say, yes! He needs to play in the whole squad. Calls for hourihane and hendrick to be removed are not unreasonable at this point but you're left with players that might be worse....

Forwards.... there are simply no goals i.n the squad... if we go down a goal to serbia I think that's it. If we conceded vs Luxembourg I can't see us scoring goals 2 to win the game
  Very much as i see it also 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 237238239240241 735>
  Share Topic