Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm
Didn't Mick play Ian Harte as a CB in one game? Vaguely remember him doing something like that but it was most likely experimenting in a friendly game. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Didn't Mick play Ian Harte as a CB in one game? Vaguely remember him doing something like that but it was most likely experimenting in a friendly game. 

I have a vague memory of that. Roy also played centre half for us under Mick. To put it in context, we were desperately short of quality centre halves at the time. We ended up with two full backs playing there in Cunningham and Stan (with both doing really well). The other regular centre back was Gary Been who was struggling at club level. Richard Dunne hadn't established himself at club level (not at centre back) and while I remember him doing very well against the Dutch, I don't think Mick had full confidence in him. While we were stronger everywhere else on the pitch in 2002, our current options at centre half would compare very favourably to their 2002 counterparts. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm
he played 3 5 2 in the first campaign at times and Harte was one of the centre halves and Cunningham and Breen coming through too.  Keane played centre half in a 3 against Iceland at home. A game that beforehand a certain journalist encouraged Irish fans to boo Keane.  I wonder what ever happened to that journalist 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:10pm
Must watch that McCarthy's Park again. 

One of the worst titled documentaries I've ever heard LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:10pm
 https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0829/900849-boys-in-green-in-iceland/

Cracking video from the Archive. A few familiar faces. 
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:16pm
Mick got a lot of stick in the first campaign, especially when we failed to beat Iceland who were very poor at the time. But the team was really in transition then. Similar to now we didn't have a goalscorer, Quinn was having huge injury issues at that stage. Roy Keane did his cruciate around then also, which didn't help. We had no decent centre backs so Mick tried Cunningham and Harte out of position there. He got slated for it but Cunningham went on to become a good centre half. How he ever thought Ian Harte was a centre back though is beyond me.

Things really picked up for the Euro 2000 campaign - Duff and Robbie Keane emerged and we were good at home. He set us up too defensively in the away games though. We were 13 seconds away from qualifying as group winners, but we failed to defend a corner away in Macedonia in the last play of the campaign and blew it. Then we lost the playoff on away goals. It was very unfortunate but I don't think we'd have qualified for the 02 world cup if it hadn't happened. We intentionally arranged away games against the Dutch and Portuguese in Autumn 2000 straight after the Euros and caught them cold a bit as a result. The two away draws set us on our way.

So, in short, there was some pressure in the first campaign but he got through on the basis that he was rebuilding the team. The second campaign was a near enough miss that he was always going to get a third shot at the 02 world cup qualifiers.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:28pm

it's a reference to a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMpeNDIGdk

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 26 Jan 2021 at 9:28pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:38pm

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Too young to remember it at the time but was there much clamour for Mick's resignation in the period before the 2002 campaign?

Apart from one reasonably successful season at Millwall, he had no managerial pedigree, and was following on from the most successful period in Irish football. We certainly underachieved in his time as manager, only qualifying for a tournament once, especially given the players we had at the time.

Those who champion Micks first reign and how he was given a few campaigns to get it right, are probably the same ones who want Kenny gone after 8 games (1 goal scored, we know, get over it) in the most disruptive period football has ever seen.

Give him a fair crack of at least one campaign and we can judge him then. In the meantime, lock this thread until the next round of games.

I wasn't going to games at that time and was only in my teens then but I don't remember anything in the media calling for him to resign. Match going lads on here at the time would probably be able to answer that question better. 

In fairness to Mick we were competitive in the two qualifying groups for France 98 & Euro 2000 even though we were in transition. Got into playoffs on both. 

We were competitive because we had the Players still didnt qualify though, who have we got now? we had a half decent striker in McGoldrick but he quit as we know, Kenny has a lot on his plate and should be left in the job for at least two more qualifying Campaigns imo, anyhow who do you bring in its the same old story you have not got the players/quality, anyhow I for one will be renewing my ST it will be great to get back to Lansdowne and see YBIG playing live again when ever that may be hopefully sooner rather than laterThumbs Up

Edited by Neil Armstrong - 26 Jan 2021 at 9:40pm
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Mick got a lot of stick in the first campaign, especially when we failed to beat Iceland who were very poor at the time. But the team was really in transition then. Similar to now we didn't have a goalscorer, Quinn was having huge injury issues at that stage. Roy Keane did his cruciate around then also, which didn't help. We had no decent centre backs so Mick tried Cunningham and Harte out of position there. He got slated for it but Cunningham went on to become a good centre half. How he ever thought Ian Harte was a centre back though is beyond me.

Things really picked up for the Euro 2000 campaign - Duff and Robbie Keane emerged and we were good at home. He set us up too defensively in the away games though. We were 13 seconds away from qualifying as group winners, but we failed to defend a corner away in Macedonia in the last play of the campaign and blew it. Then we lost the playoff on away goals. It was very unfortunate but I don't think we'd have qualified for the 02 world cup if it hadn't happened. We intentionally arranged away games against the Dutch and Portuguese in Autumn 2000 straight after the Euros and caught them cold a bit as a result. The two away draws set us on our way.

So, in short, there was some pressure in the first campaign but he got through on the basis that he was rebuilding the team. The second campaign was a near enough miss that he was always going to get a third shot at the 02 world cup qualifiers.

When you think about it again, it was a serious achievement for us to finish above either Portugal or Holland in a qualifying group. Mick wouldn't have had the players or overall solid defensive unit that Jack had so qualifying us for the 02 WC over the Dutch was some accomplishment for any Irish manager and team.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Absolutely. To some extent Roy Keane dragged us through that group and we did get a bit lucky beating the Dutch at home after Gary Kelly got sent off. Although a draw would have been enough in that game anyway if I remember rightly. But it was some achievement to qualify from that group. Portugal and Netherlands were both semifinalists at the previous euros so it was a really difficult group.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:10pm
That Macedonia away game still haunts me. Think it was 6 seconds! 

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

That's all fair enough but any coach of any European side which harbour qualification hopes normally would be in a ropey situation to have endured the run of form Kenny is on. 

Do we harbour qualification hopes? We usually don't qualify for anything, no matter who is in the dugout. 

The next campaign is about tearing up the "qualify or else" handbook. Let's face it, nobody really wants to go to Qatar just before Christmas anyway. It's a transition job, to bring new players through, change the way we play, and if we're lucky, very lucky, scraping a playoff spot. If we're going to make any long term progress, then we have to be willing to sacrifice the next campaign and look to qualify for the next Euros instead. That means putting the grassroots down now. That's what Belgium have done, that's what Iceland have done, that's what Finland have done, that's what we need to do. Because the "lump it up to Duffy with 10 minutes to go" tactic hasn't worked, and won't work, no matter how long we use it. 

Kenny is not a messiah, he may not be up to the job, and if he isn't, I'm sure you'll remind us of it at every opportunity. But the least he deserves is a qualifying campaign to make his case. That's what every other Irish manager has got before him, even back in the days when we had a battle just to finish 4th in a 5 team group. Some of them got multiple campaigns with better players at their disposal, no virus to contend with, and they still couldn't qualify. This is the beginning of a long haul job, not the start of a short term fix. And fans have to be ready for that. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

it's a reference to a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMpeNDIGdk

Not just any song either! Up there with Desree for the worst song lyrics of all time. Not Jimmy Webbe's finest moment, but 'Wichita Linesman' more than made up for it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Baldrick labels himself a pedant...obviously true. Claiming SK is perceived by some as the Messiah does not literally mean that people said he was the Messiah, a fair person would have understood precisely what was meant by that universally used description. As for agendas, there is clearly a LOI loyalist agenda in relation to SK. Precisely how many matches does he have to lose to get the sack? Precisely how many dog awful performances before we conclude he is at the level of Steve Staunton? Or, judging by his record to date, actually worse. Who knows, there might be a miraculous recovery in 2021. And just to clarify for Baldrick, I don't mean an actual miracle!

As Dunphy might have said, we have a rinky dink manager!

Re read the thread again. Murph is the one who made the allegation that people claimed Kenny was the messiah.  He has been unable to say who or where this was said or inferred.  He is making up stuff as part of his strawman tactics.  I have seen no evidence that Irish fans were claiming Kenny was the Messiah of Irish football. 
Nuclear hypocrisy. You're the hole that keeps on giving. Ask Alan Kelly. 

Once again I call you to identify the posts in relation to Alan Kelly that need to be removed.  You have posted this time and time again but you cannot identify the posts. 

Like Murph you are spoofing.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
Go on, which posts should be removed.  The mods can decide to remove them if there are issues.  I dont believe there are. 

Edited by Baldrick - 27 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:45am
The mods could remove the last 100 posts and noting of value/interest/intelligence would be lost. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The mods could remove the last 100 posts and noting of value/interest/intelligence would be lost. 

LOLLOLClap
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Very True. 
Mr Bricks nightly bump of this thread is wearing thin. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 735>
  Share Topic