Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:30pm
One of you will betray me

McClean:  Is it I Stephen?
SK:  No James. It's not you.
Coleman:  Is it I Stephen?
SK: No Seamus.   It is not you.
Alan Kelly: Is it I Stephen?
SK: Go way from about me you mong!

7 The Last Supper Painting Facts | Stories and Symbolism

Edited by Trap junior - 26 Nov 2020 at 3:35pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
Hot take, not based on any solid logic, but I think for better or worse the world cup draw will be the defining moment for Kenny. 

We can all agree that he's had terrible luck since taking over, but a shocking pot 1 & 2 team in our group would cement for me that unfortunately (as Ireland manager anyway) Kenny just isn't a lucky general.

On the flip side, hopefully a dinger of a draw is a good omen for the future..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:47pm
I would happily take a tougher 2nd seeds draw and even a tough 4th seeds draw if it meant we get a handier 1st seeds draw as far as 1st seeds can get handy I.e Denmark Croatia or even the Netherlands. A nice scenario in that a good 2nd seeds side or even a good 4th seeds side like Bosnia Slovenia or Israel would be well able for those 3 teams above and would make it wide open for us. After that you are possibly looking for a very poor 5th/6th seeds side (most are) to play early on in the group get a win and some confidence.  

Then again we could play one of the higher ranked sides get a bit more space to attack sneak a result and get confidence that way especially if we play one of them away from home and sneak a result.  

I don’t know will drawing Belgium Spain England teams who always run their qualifying groups over be good for us especially if we play them early as they do hammer teams in qualifying. Also only makes 2nd place really possible for us. The first scenario above at least makes 1st place an outside chance even if it’s only an outside chance especially with a few good results early. 

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Nov 2020 at 6:49pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:14pm
When you look at last time the first seed draw we got was Wales, who went on to finish third in the group. The second seeds Austria finished fourth.

The one unknown that you're hoping for is that you get a first or second pot team who's actually in decline or about to have a stinker of a qualifying campaign... That's complete lap of the gods stuff, that is. 

Barring the usual suspects, anyone else has the potential to have a brain fart of a campaign. 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

When you look at last time the first seed draw we got was Wales, who went on to finish third in the group. The second seeds Austria finished fourth.

The one unknown that you're hoping for is that you get a first or second pot team who's actually in decline or about to have a stinker of a qualifying campaign... That's complete lap of the gods stuff, that is. 

Barring the usual suspects, anyone else has the potential to have a brain fart of a campaign. 

Croatia are the pot 1 team in decline. 
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
Mark Tighe reporting in the Times this morning that there is ‘uncertainty over Alan Kelly’s future in the Irish camp’
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
surprise surprise.  

Hope the so called journalist they have is shown up.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:30pm
As well as Kelly, who is said " to have been concerned about some aspects of the regime under Kenny", the Sunday Times article mentions Cathal Dervan, who was appointed as FAI director of communications by John Delaney while Mick was in charge of the team last year. Dervan stopped working with Kenny at international games before the England match and did not attend the latter. The new CEO, Jonathan Hall, also got a mention. He has been working remotely from London but plans to move to Ireland when the Covid crisis eases. No guarantees at present about Kelly returning to work with the Ireland squad.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:17pm
Serious lesson for Steve Kenny - appoint your own people.

Cathal Dervan was hired at the tail end of the Delaney regime.

I used love in old lansdowne when an opposing player got sent off.

CHEERIO, CHEERIO, CHEEERIO Clap
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Serious lesson for Steve Kenny - appoint your own people.

Cathal Dervan was hired at the tail end of the Delaney regime.

I used love in old lansdowne when an opposing player got sent off.

CHEERIO, CHEERIO, CHEEERIO Clap

Kenny was appointed by Delaney too to be fair.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:53pm
Kenny saying that Alan Kelly definitely did not complain about the video content. Called him out by name which is pretty definitive 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:23pm
It will all come out in March.
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:41pm
Whats happening in March? He's clearly said it's nothing to do with the squad or backroom team 
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm
Yes that is what he said but that is not necessarily the truth but his spin in front of the press.
It is clear that some personnel currently involved in inner circle feel he is out of his depth.
Communication is a big issue.

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 07 Dec 2020 at 10:55pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
Do you have the inside track somewhere Proud and Loud, or is this your opinion?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:40pm
It's my first hand knowledge. SK is a gentleman who has a great attitude and enthusiasm for the game and certainly an excellent tactician who knows the technical side of the game inside out.
What let's him down big time is his communication skills or lack of and this unfortunately will be his downfall unless somehow he addresses it.
I hope he does succeed as he deserves success. Im not just talking about communication with press but within team and team talks etc. 

Edited by ProudAndLoud - 07 Dec 2020 at 11:41pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

It's my first hand knowledge. SK is a gentleman who has a great attitude and enthusiasm for the game and certainly an excellent tactician who knows the technical side of the game inside out.
What let's him down big time is his communication skills or lack of and this unfortunately will be his downfall unless somehow he addresses it.
I hope he does succeed as he deserves success. Im not just talking about communication with press but within team and team talks etc. 

That dosent add up for me. Hes hardly speaking in japanese to the players. Sure look at Trap, Bielsa or half the mangers around the world who dont speak much english even. Do the cypriots know what Mick is saying? I could take hes a sh*te manager line but not hes not a great communicator. Dont buy that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 735>
  Share Topic