Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 735>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:39am
all joking aside what is the latest with Gerry Peyton? Do we think the FAI will be able to tempt him away from India? 

Might need Dennis O Brien back involved again to hopefully tempt Peyton. Fingers crossed the deal can be done quickly before someone else swoops in. ClapClap
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

all joking aside what is the latest with Gerry Peyton? Do we think the FAI will be able to tempt him away from India? 

Might need Dennis O Brien back involved again to hopefully tempt Peyton. Fingers crossed the deal can be done quickly before someone else swoops in. ClapClap

Should we set up a crowdfunding appeal to raise the necessary funds to get our man. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
it’s an awful pity that we have lost McGoldrick.  I could be wrong but I think Kenny’s plan was to use McGoldrick a bit like Spurs used Harry Kane yesterday and have been using him this season.  Dropping deep off the centre halves with the pact runners running off him in Ireland’s case Connolly and Robinson.   I don’t think there is anyone that can play that role now for Ireland and Kenny will have to come up with another plan. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

The writing is on the wall as we are not going anywhere under Kenny it may hurt you but i was right from day one . He had a massive chance in Brat but in the end failed .
As a fan i will still follow my team and still want them to win but in heart of hearts we can all see we are going from bad to worse .
If we got an " international manager " in before the Quals we have a chance with Kenny we dont . 
Managers and player you take too or you don't i have spent years on here calling out Hendrick and had abuse for saying it was i right or wrong you can decide . 
Kenny was a super LOI manager make no doubts but he is not as the Manager of Ireland as we have seen . 

No blame for Mick though eh (Georgia away in particular). Shock horror. We were only in the playoffs as a result of other teams nothing to do what we did on the pitch. You've been nothing but snidey towards SK from day one.

Like wise with you and Mick or Sir Mick as you call him.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

You would get worse choices then Roy Keane. Hipsters will tell you “the modern game has moved on” but by god it would be entertaining if nothing else and he mightn’t have them playing tiki taka but it wouldn’t be hoof ball either. 

Keane took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to the PL with a rather average group of players this argument that he’s a tactically hopeless dimwit I have never bought completely either. 

Ipswich of course it didn’t exactly fire but then again Ipswich are a basket case club in general who bar a good year or two under Mick Mack himself have floundered finishing mid table in League 1 last year and the same potentially this year. 

People might laugh as they have this Alan Patridge type image of Keane but far worse managers have managed and are currently managing in international football I guarantee you that.

Keane bought the title at Sunderland.  They bought about 10-12 players when he took over and they had the biggest budget in the division

Ya what big name players did he buy?? If it was that easy everyone would be able to do it.

Didn;t say BIG name players but he brought ina  sh*t load of good Championship players

Dwight Yorke, Ross Wallace, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Stan Varga, David Connolly, Andy Reid, Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Anto Stokes and many more

Ahh that’s a bit simplistic isn’t it. He assembled a decent squad yes surely that’s a decent trait no ability to attract players etc? He took them over in the relegation zone yes early in the season but still relegation zone and kept them up that following year when they would have been expected to drop again? Can’t put that down to budget surely? 

People crying about his assessment of Walker last week looking at his efforts yesterday Klopp the same with Liverpool and the Villa the following week happened. 
He’s sharp too sharp for the modern day mind at times but the one thing about Keane blunt or not he’s an awful habit of time proving him f**king correct. 

Not saying he’s Guardiola more so pointing out the tactically clueless dimwit narrative I can guarantee theirs worse managing in international football look across the water at 2 of the 3 British nations as proof of that Giggs and Southgate.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

it’s an awful pity that we have lost McGoldrick.  I could be wrong but I think Kenny’s plan was to use McGoldrick a bit like Spurs used Harry Kane yesterday and have been using him this season.  Dropping deep off the centre halves with the pact runners running off him in Ireland’s case Connolly and Robinson.   I don’t think there is anyone that can play that role now for Ireland and Kenny will have to come up with another plan. 

Yes agree, would have loved to see mcgoldrick and Connolly play together. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

You would get worse choices then Roy Keane. Hipsters will tell you “the modern game has moved on” but by god it would be entertaining if nothing else and he mightn’t have them playing tiki taka but it wouldn’t be hoof ball either. 

Keane took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to the PL with a rather average group of players this argument that he’s a tactically hopeless dimwit I have never bought completely either. 

Ipswich of course it didn’t exactly fire but then again Ipswich are a basket case club in general who bar a good year or two under Mick Mack himself have floundered finishing mid table in League 1 last year and the same potentially this year. 

People might laugh as they have this Alan Patridge type image of Keane but far worse managers have managed and are currently managing in international football I guarantee you that.

Keane bought the title at Sunderland.  They bought about 10-12 players when he took over and they had the biggest budget in the division

Ya what big name players did he buy?? If it was that easy everyone would be able to do it.

Didn;t say BIG name players but he brought ina  sh*t load of good Championship players

Dwight Yorke, Ross Wallace, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Stan Varga, David Connolly, Andy Reid, Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Anto Stokes and many more

Ahh that’s a bit simplistic isn’t it. He assembled a decent squad yes surely that’s a decent trait no ability to attract players etc? He took them over in the relegation zone yes early in the season but still relegation zone and kept them up that following year when they would have been expected to drop again? Can’t put that down to budget surely? 

People crying about his assessment of Walker last week looking at his efforts yesterday Klopp the same with Liverpool and the Villa the following week happened. 
He’s sharp too sharp for the modern day mind at times but the one thing about Keane blunt or not he’s an awful habit of time proving him f**king correct. 

Not saying he’s Guardiola more so pointing out the tactically clueless dimwit narrative I can guarantee theirs worse managing in international football look across the water at 2 of the 3 British nations as proof of that Giggs and Southgate.

Roy would be a good shout. He'd need a good old head next to him. Brian Kidd would be ideal. Maybe even Gaz Nev or a trusted lieutenant. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm
according to the ST today AK is said to be unhappy with the speech and made a complaint but is not thought to be the source of the leak.  

AKA pedantic kunt
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm

according to the ST today AK is said to be unhappy with the speech and made a complaint but is not thought to be the source of the leak.  

You would think then Alan Kelly returning to work with Kenny is not going to happen. 
Ireland will be in need of a goalkeeping coach. Anyone come to mind? 
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:31pm
Steve Williams 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

You would think then Alan Kelly returning to work with Kenny is not going to happen. 
Ireland will be in need of a goalkeeping coach. Anyone come to mind? 

Gerard Peyton 😀😀😀😀
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:34pm
Mod edit: 
This is the Stephen Kenny thread. Micks Cypriot adventure does not belong in here.

Edited by Sham157 - 22 Nov 2020 at 3:49pm
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:50pm

Can we deduce from that the leak is likely to be either someone Kelly told about the speech or an FAI official who was made aware of Kelly’s complaint? The fact the leak was to the English Daily Mail is a strange one also. If it was an FAI official they would more than likely have links with the Irish press? 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Has Murphs account been hacked ?

He is either on or has come off the sherry 

I hope so - I don’t know anybody on here but from what I’ve read recently on here, this murph fella is someone I would not want to be in the trenches with. I’m sure he’s hoping Kenny will fail to say he told us so Thumbs Down
Don't hold back lads will yer Big smile

People who want a stick to beat me with is par for the course on here . 

Just to let you know what i have said in this thread for those who have not read back . I want Kenny to be a runaway success and i would love if i was wrong and people can line up to tell me so if he is . 

I have never wanted my country to lose ever . 

Now  in the past 30 years of watching Ireland home and away i still think i am a fan others think otherwise .

A good few on here have not said much of late as i know people who stood behind Trap were shouted down by the gang who wanted him out now as for Kenny time will tell if he is a great manager or a failure .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm
I have zero axe to grind with you, don’t know you.

But going by your posts, you’re not giving Kenny a chance.

I’d like to think most would be in agreement that Kenny deserve a crack at this job.

We’ve had enough of dinosaurs like O’Neill, Mick, trap, etc. Irish football needs to change going forward.

Kenny brings something new. I do think they overdo it passing from back (especially with goal kicks), and the lack of urgency pressing forward is disappointing. But on the plus, we have to remember, we’ve had unprecedented withdrawals from squads, and have blooded some good young players.

The hope now is that we see as many of our top 20 players (Especially the young lads) playing regularly and doing well at club level between now and March. If not playing regularly over next 6 weeks, they need to get out on loan.

And let’s hope Kenny reflects on style of play. I think formation is grand, I like to see us pass the ball too - we just need to mix it up a wee bit and press with more urgency going forward (and personnel could be his excuse over last few games - regardless, it needs to change in March).

Bottom line is he deserves a crack of full word cup campaign at least 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:11pm
how is anyone shouted down ffs.  You just post or don’t post.  If your post is genuine and is backed up and doesn’t have and agenda it doesn’t matter what others say.   

You jumped the gun on Kenny and you haven’t given him a chance.  It may turn out that he is not up to it but it won’t make your behaviour as a supporter correct.  

You have have been a Kenny critic before a ball has even been kicked. 
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:21pm
As we're in Pot 3 then logically if Ireland finish in third place in the world cup qualifying group, Kenny would arguably be meeting expectations for the next campaign. 

Just say we get one of the worst second seeds in Poland/Switzerland, finish third overall but have made a decent fist of it in challenging for the playoff spot, playing well, a united squad behind the manager but coming up short in the end.

Would Kenny  in that scenario deserve to be kept on for Euro 2024 qualifiers? 

I think he would deserve to be kept on in the above case and I think the majority of Irish supporters would still stick with him tbh. 

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As we're in Pot 3 then logically if Ireland finish in third place in the world cup qualifying group, Kenny would arguably be meeting expectations for the next campaign. 

Just say we get one of the worst second seeds in Poland/Switzerland, finish third overall but have made a decent fist of it in challenging for the playoff spot, playing well, a united squad behind the manager but coming up short in the end.

Would Kenny  in that scenario deserve to be kept on for Euro 2024 qualifiers? 

I think he would deserve to be kept on in the above case and I think the majority of Irish supporters would still stick with him tbh. 

If there's a marked improvement on the last two or 3 months and obvious progress being made, and we go down with a fight, but miss out to 2 obviously superior teams, then he'd deserve to stay on. 

If the campaign goes anything like Mick's last one, then cheerio. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 735>
  Share Topic