You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 735>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Did think we were quite in the game in the first half but once they scored we all know the story after that .
I really don't think that Kenny can get the team out of this slide and it's only a matter of time before he is shown the door .

I would have to agree. Have we really improved since our first game against Bulgaria? I dont think we have. We are missing some players but only 3-4 starters. Stevens, Connolly, Robinson and McCarthy. It really is quite an achievement to have made us even more toothless in the final third and less organised at the back.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Sponsored Links

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

All else aside he has had the worse luck going. Possibly of any international manager since covid began. At the very least we need our best players available to us on a good day. Its been one disaster after another. 

Keep hearing this? I think thats an excuse- he has had at least 7 starters available every game.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:35pm
He will get the full campaign. 
Its not like we are getting hammered by Cyprus and the likes. 
We are not beating sides who are in and around our level.
They have all been pretty close games. 
We have had f**k all luck with player unavailability.  
Lack of goals are a big concern but it was the same before Kenny came in.
If we can get Connolly and Robinson and maybe Parrott on the pitch at the same time then we should start scoring more 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Who's going to be managing ireland then? It's not likely to be an attractive job for any decent managers

My genuine opinion at the moment is that, rightly or wrongly, Kenny won't make it to the end of 2021 in the job.

These things kind of go in cycles, so after going for a relatively risky appointment in Kenny, we're likely to go for a safe pair of hands next time out.

Someone like Chris Hughton is probably on a hiding to nothing at Forest. If he was out of work when the job comes up he'd be a decent bet, would probably settle for a reduced salary to get a fairly high profile job.

He deserves at least the full WCQ campaign minium. The Covid disasters of the last 2 camps have at least given him the chance to use a lot players.

Bringing in another outside manager from the UK or beyond will see us revert to 10 men behind the ball and lumping it forward. That hasn't worked the last few campaigns, it won't work again. There is no point in replacing Kenny unless it's with another progressive manager.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

All else aside he has had the worse luck going. Possibly of any international manager since covid began. At the very least we need our best players available to us on a good day. Its been one disaster after another. 

Keep hearing this? I think thats an excuse- he has had at least 7 starters available every game.

Has had to chop and change every game. Our best player IMO connolly has been absent for most of the games. Mcgoldrick has retired. Robinson who would have started all games if fit missed a lot. Covid issues late pull outs etc etc. Its obvious hes had not much going for him since he began.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

For this game alone we were missing Connolly, Robinson, Stevens, McCarthy, Egan and Coleman. That's 6 PL players who would probably all have started. I'd do the math there again in if I was you 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He will get the full campaign. 
Its not like we are getting hammered by Cyprus and the likes. 
We are not beating sides who are in and around our level.
They have all been pretty close games. 
We have had f**k all luck with player unavailability.  
Lack of goals are a big concern but it was the same before Kenny came in.
If we can get Connolly and Robinson and maybe Parrott on the pitch at the same time then we should start scoring more 

None of those 3 score with any regularity at club level. 

It's the impossible job. But his tactics are all over the shop. 

It's becoming an inevitable certainty that the dressing room are questioning him. 

He'll get most of if not all the WCQ and then the P45.

Chris Hughton in time would be a great shout. 

We have to prepare ourselves for an arduous WCQ. 

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:42pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who's going to be managing ireland then? It's not likely to be an attractive job for any decent managers

My genuine opinion at the moment is that, rightly or wrongly, Kenny won't make it to the end of 2021 in the job.

These things kind of go in cycles, so after going for a relatively risky appointment in Kenny, we're likely to go for a safe pair of hands next time out.

Someone like Chris Hughton is probably on a hiding to nothing at Forest. If he was out of work when the job comes up he'd be a decent bet, would probably settle for a reduced salary to get a fairly high profile job.

He deserves at least the full WCQ campaign minium. The Covid disasters of the last 2 camps have at least given him the chance to use a lot players.

Bringing in another outside manager from the UK or beyond will see us revert to 10 men behind the ball and lumping it forward. That hasn't worked the last few campaigns, it won't work again. There is no point in replacing Kenny unless it's with another progressive manager.

Why is Kenny a progessive manager?

0 goals in 570 minutes and counting is regressive. 

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:50pm
Reading this thread makes me wonder whether anyone on here watched Irish football matches before September 2020. We more than competed with a stronger team away from home and deserved a result. 

The World Cup qualifiers are the be all and end all. Hopefully our whole squad will be immune by then, more are playing regularly and we aren’t cursed with injuries. We have 2 more starters missing on Wednesday - so we only have 5 of his 1st team available. Again; hopefully we win but I wouldn’t be getting too concerned.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm
People must have forgotten when we tried to draw our way to the Euros under Mick especially when we got that great draw away to GeorgiaDeadDead
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Reading this thread makes me wonder whether anyone on here watched Irish football matches before September 2020. We more than competed with a stronger team away from home and deserved a result. 

The World Cup qualifiers are the be all and end all. Hopefully our whole squad will be immune by then, more are playing regularly and we aren’t cursed with injuries. We have 2 more starters missing on Wednesday - so we only have 5 of his 1st team available. Again; hopefully we win but I wouldn’t be getting too concerned.

The Team pre September was a harder team to beat. The team post September has even less teeth and a far softer underbelly. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:55pm
We have seriously short memories as fans. 

How anyone can make judgement on Kenny especially with what he’s had to deal with over the last 2 international breaks is beyond me. 

I really hope for his sake we can get a result on Wednesday, just to keep the eejits at bay 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:55pm

Clap
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm

Edited by irelandshirts - 15 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Straight to the point. I like it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Clap

Everyone is disappointed with the results so far which is understandable. Kenny deserves the WC qualifiers.

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
The reality is there's a huge element of political correctness at play here

Kenny is being protected because he's a product of the League of Ireland, same with Jack Byrne

If Eddie Howe or Paul Jewell or Neil Lennon or somebody had taken over and failed to score for six games in a row and failed to score from play at all, the knives would be out in a massive way in the Irish media

That there aren't is because it's a mates thing, a backslapping thing

There are lads here who genuinely think Jack Byrne is the answer and to hell with Jeff Hendrick

Forget yer man at Newcastle, the guy at Shamrock Rovers is who we want to build the team around, deary, deary me

The way it's going, we'll be down to the level Northern Ireland were at for the whole of the 90s and the early part of the 2000s

The football will be nice, it'll be pretty, it'll be completely powder puff, and we'll be thumped most times we play

Edited by sid waddell - 15 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

People must have forgotten when we tried to draw our way to the Euros under Mick especially when we got that great draw away to GeorgiaDeadDead

Ya, that was terrible, but we wouldn’t even get that draw now. Neither would we draw with the Swiss or beat the Georgians at home - not based on what we’ve seen anyway, 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 735>
  Share Topic