You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 735>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1328049995304611846

Link is broken : 

''Republic of Ireland have failed to score in six consecutive matches for the first time in their history. In seven games under Stephen Kenny, they have received more red cards (two) than they have scored goals (one). Overawed.''

Edited by grannyrule - 15 Nov 2020 at 7:17pm
The only way is up
Sponsored Links

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
We lost a few friendlies before improving. We at least managed to score goals. And much better players.

It is crucially important to have a clear tactic with more limited players. There is no evidence of that. 

If we want to retain possession fine. But how do we advance the play? How do we create chances? Who is getting up in support of the striker? Why is our striker receiving the ball isolated with his back to goal? What is the point of our wide players with nobody to aim at? Can our full backs push forward and create overlaps with no defensive cover in midfield? Is it prudent to ask players who cant pass the ball to pass the ball ie Shane Duffy? 

We seem to want our wide players to cut inside but they get doubled up on because our full backs dont get forward in support of them at the moment. Or at least given how isolated the striker is we should want our wide players cutting inside. In which case the likes of McClean should be nowhere near the team ad he has no ability on his right foot.

It's a total mess, disjointed with no clear direction from management.
OysterCatcher View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OysterCatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:39pm
i think that's the key. A total lack of ability to manage the resources in front of him, and an unwillingness to take brave, bold decisions where they are clearly needed. Kenny will be gone by May 2021 when he makes a pigs ear of the games in the spring. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:41pm
Prediction - Ireland will qualify for Euro 2024. Kenny will be back managing in the League of Ireland by then.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Prediction - Ireland will qualify for Euro 2024. Kenny will be back managing in the League of Ireland by then.

Who's going to be managing ireland then? It's not likely to be an attractive job for any decent managers
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:46pm
f**k knows. But sometimes there has to be a fall guy in a team's development. The kind of manager that players like Molumby, Knight and O'Shea throw platitudes at in a few years time. "He's a great fella, gave me my debut, he was unlucky, it's a pity it didn't work out for him."

That's Kenny.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who's going to be managing ireland then? It's not likely to be an attractive job for any decent managers

Also, sometimes a team at a low ebb are an attractive prospect for a would be manager. Low expectations as well as an interesting group of young players coming through, plus a 24 team Euros that offers genuine opportunities to qualify.

We were at a low ebb before Charlton came in, similar for Trap and MON as well. All three took us to major finals. It's not the end of the world. Kenny likely to have just been the wrong manager at the wrong time.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm
Did think we were quite in the game in the first half but once they scored we all know the story after that .
I really don't think that Kenny can get the team out of this slide and it's only a matter of time before he is shown the door .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:14pm
I said when he was appointed that he deserves a crack at it but at 250k a year not 500k. Delaney’s work. Madness.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
We could blame Kenny for the last 7 games as the reposibility sits with him. .. but maybe, just maybe we're a poor team with poor players too.

Who exactly is our best player? 

Wales have Bale, England have Kane, we have...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:20pm
England have a bottomless pit full of talent.

We have a group of decent enough players who are either injured or unavailable.

Until we put our strongest 11 on the field, we'll never know.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:20pm
He really does need a win against Bulgaria, otherwise it'll be a long wait for the qualifiers to begin
It would damage this forums' reputation
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

He really does need a win against Bulgaria, otherwise it'll be a long wait for the qualifiers to begin

Agree with this. Made more difficult with injuries and suspensions now.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We could blame Kenny for the last 7 games as the reposibility sits with him. .. but maybe, just maybe we're a poor team with poor players too.

Who exactly is our best player? 

Wales have Bale, England have Kane, we have...

So thats that then. Players are sh*te why bother?
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Did think we were quite in the game in the first half but once they scored we all know the story after that .
I really don't think that Kenny can get the team out of this slide and it's only a matter of time before he is shown the door .
He won’t be sacked as the FAI haven’t a pot to piss in and bringing in someone else is utterly pointless. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

My genuine opinion at the moment is that, rightly or wrongly, Kenny won't make it to the end of 2021 in the job.

These things kind of go in cycles, so after going for a relatively risky appointment in Kenny, we're likely to go for a safe pair of hands next time out.

Someone like Chris Hughton is probably on a hiding to nothing at Forest. If he was out of work when the job comes up he'd be a decent bet, would probably settle for a reduced salary to get a fairly high profile job.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:26pm
All else aside he has had the worse luck going. Possibly of any international manager since covid began. At the very least we need our best players available to us on a good day. Its been one disaster after another. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

All else aside he has had the worse luck going. Possibly of any international manager since covid began. At the very least we need our best players available to us on a good day. Its been one disaster after another. 

The worst pot 2 team is in our group. Bulgaria are very bad. That was a major stroke of luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 735>
  Share Topic