Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 735>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Stephen Kenny is, you know, a good, you know, you know, manager and, you know, it’s a, you know, it’s a, you know good chance to get a, you know, a goal tomorrow because, you know, it’s a given that this team are, you know, apart from COVID
Issues, you know, everyone has COVID issues but I think, you know, we can’t have had much worse luck, but, you know, I think it will get better

LOL

I was saying there yesterday he should have taken some media training from yer wan Terry Prone or something.  Awful in interviews in fairness.  Still if he can get the job done I won't care.

Were you calling for Trap to get English classes 10 years ago?

Write what you have to say to me on a bedsheet and then I might take notice
Back of the net TJ , a winner everytime LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:41pm
I want to put this up before a ball has been kicked today .
Questions .
Do you think this is the best way forward ?
Are you happy that this means it may take 2 to 6 years before we qualify for the next Euro's or World Cup ?
How long can we give Kenny until results turn ? 
Would you sack him before March and start again ?

For me Results mean everything , if we play great football and win is the best result , if we are lucky and still win then i will take it , anything else is up in the air as a manager stands by his results as fail and you lose your job simple really . 

Kenny is a very good League of Ireland manager and so far has been a shocking Manager of the Republic of Ireland manager .

How long will you give him playing Kennyball ?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:44pm
post moved Murph. We already have a Kenny thread.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:51pm
Having a philosophy is one thing. Kenny wants to keep possession and fashion chances through passing and movement.

However tactically implementing that philosophy thus far has been nothing short of a disaster. Tactically we are all over the place. Gaping holes in various areas throughout the team. Striker often completely isolated. Centre backs miles apart. Defensive midfielder wandering away from sitting role. No player in attacking midfield role to link midfield and attack. How do we score, what is the template goal for a Stephen Kenny Ireland side?

Continued selection of players completely unsuitable to Kenny's playstyle. Refusal to select no brainer formation which majority of our players are most suited to. Plays a high defensive line with 2 centre backs who cant play it.

I'm happy for us to pass the ball more but not at the expense of the fundamentals of football, which has been the case thus far. 6 games with no win and no goal scored from open play. Even today, picks Brady in lcm, why? 

He would want to he showing signs of progress fairly fast or he can jog on. We have given up defensive solidity for a few percent extra possession, and further worsened our already blunt attack.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

You can hide McG but you can't run from the truth, Results matter and sooner than later Kenny will fall on his own sword .
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Questions .
Do you think this is the best way forward ?
Are you happy that this means it may take 2 to 6 years before we qualify for the next Euro's or World Cup ?
How long can we give Kenny until results turn ? 
Would you sack him before March and start again ?

For me Results mean everything , if we play great football and win is the best result , if we are lucky and still win then i will take it , anything else is up in the air as a manager stands by his results as fail and you lose your job simple really . 

Kenny is a very good League of Ireland manager and so far has been a shocking Manager of the Republic of Ireland manager .

Needs to get a few wins and soon. May not be today but needs to beat Bulgaria in next game. From a financial perspective and the hopeful return of crowds towards the latter half of next year a team on a long losing run will not attract the casual/bandwagon fans the FAI rely on to boost their coffers. I think Kenny needs to have a rethink on his philosophy and not continue to try and put round pegs in square boxes. Whatever honeymoon period he had is now over. It's sh*t or get off the pot time.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:58pm

You can hide McG but you can't run from the truth, Results matter and sooner than later Kenny will fall on his own sword .

You've been gunning for him from day 1. Suppose you'd like Mick back......

Edited by Denis Irwin - 15 Nov 2020 at 4:58pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:58pm

What’s that got to do with two threads on SK LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:02pm

Questions .
Do you think this is the best way forward ? At the moment, yes. We've been a laughing stock around Europe since 2016, playing some of the worst football seen anywhere on the continent.

Are you happy that this means it may take 2 to 6 years before we qualify for the next Euro's or World Cup ? We've been waiting since 2002, what's another 4 years. We're trying to shed the negativity surrounding how the team plays, instilled by our previous 3 managers. It takes time.

How long can we give Kenny until results turn ? I'm happy to give him 2 campaigns. 

Would you sack him before March and start again ? No.

The same people who probably commend the job Michael O'Neill did don't seem to understand how long it took him to get things right. He could easily have been sacked before he turned things around.

We've had one bad defeat, in a friendly. We weren't scoring goals before Kenny arrived, so it's either go back to a management strategy who are afraid to try anything progressive, or stick with them man who wants to do so.

I know what I'm happy to stick with for the timebeing.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:02pm

Murph - I'm not sure what it is you're suggesting that will suddenly materialise into results? 

I'm sure you have a theory along the lines of long ball and use the wings or whatever and it probably works very well in your head but there is not a style or formation or selection of players that has given us the edge for years 

Your comments generally sound like you know for a fact that one approach is better than another... but in reality this is just not the case. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Questions .
Do you think this is the best way forward ? At the moment, yes. We've been a laughing stock around Europe since 2016, playing some of the worst football seen anywhere on the continent.

Are you happy that this means it may take 2 to 6 years before we qualify for the next Euro's or World Cup ? We've been waiting since 2002, what's another 4 years. We're trying to shed the negativity surrounding how the team plays, instilled by our previous 3 managers. It takes time.

How long can we give Kenny until results turn ? I'm happy to give him 2 campaigns. 

Would you sack him before March and start again ? No.

The same people who probably commend the job Michael O'Neill did don't seem to understand how long it took him to get things right. He could easily have been sacked before he turned things around.

We've had one bad defeat, in a friendly. We weren't scoring goals before Kenny arrived, so it's either go back to a management strategy who are afraid to try anything progressive, or stick with them man who wants to do so.

I know what I'm happy to stick with for the timebeing.

Northern Ireland finished 4th and 5th in successive groups before Michael O Neill arrived.

Republic of Ireland finished 2nd in their WC qualifying group and 3rd in their Euro 2020 qualifying group. The respective stature of both teams before O'Neill/Kenny is incomparible - it's a ridiculous comparison that keeps getting perpetuated.

And laughing stock around Europe. Give me a break. I'd say we were a laughing stock alright when we qualified for a World Cup playoff over Wales and Austria. When we had 1 defeat from 4 games with Switzerland and Denmark in Euro 2020 qualifying. What a spectacularly stupid comment. Christ.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:07pm
murph just wants results but he doesn’t know how that happens other than the players give it all and die for the shirt.  It’s Roy Keane type analysis is 
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

murph just wants results but he doesn’t know how that happens other than the players give it all and die for the shirt.  It’s Roy Keane type analysis is 

In one Baldie .
 Play for Claret FC then you die on the pitch give your all and leave it out there . 
 Now play for Baldie Softies , well count your money and phone your agent at HT to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere . 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

In one Baldie .
 Play for Claret FC then you die on the pitch give your all and leave it out there . 
 Now play for Baldie Softies , well count your money and phone your agent at HT to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere . 

Are we trying more tonight.  Or is it just that Wales are a similar ability to us and England weren’t 
AKA pedantic kunt
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm
Throws a bunch of players out in a 4-3-3 and tells them to pass the ball.

That's all there is evidence of under him. Hasnt an iota tactically. 

Pass it around the back four, and then lose it in midfield. Occasionally we will manage to get the ball to the forward who will either lose it in a 50/50 or drop deep to play it off. Nobody then in a forward position.

Wide players rarely get involved. No link between midfield and attack. Centre backs playing a high line which they clearly arent comfortable with. No protection for that uncomfortable back 4 from midfield.

Genuinely awful. 7 games. 0 wins. 0 goals from open play. That is absolutely pathetic. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Throws a bunch of players out in a 4-3-3 and tells them to pass the ball.

That's all there is evidence of under him. Hasnt an iota tactically. 

Pass it around the back four, and then lose it in midfield. Occasionally we will manage to get the ball to the forward who will either lose it in a 50/50 or drop deep to play it off. Nobody then in a forward position.

Wide players rarely get involved. No link between midfield and attack. Centre backs playing a high line which they clearly arent comfortable with. No protection for that uncomfortable back 4 from midfield.

Genuinely awful. 7 games. 0 wins. 0 goals from open play. That is absolutely pathetic. 

We’ve had this start before ...

Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:11pm
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm
prepared to give him time but a few things concern me tbh.

Playing 4-3-3 continually even though it’s not working in the final third. Central striker needs to be good technically and hold the ball up in that system, and he keeps playing idah in it. Baffling.

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 735>
  Share Topic