Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the Stephen Kenny Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 735>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
He says ''I tink'' a lot.  He should get onto yer wan Terry Prone or summat
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Thing is with Kenny is that you have to actually listen to what he’s saying rather than how he’s saying it. Martin O’Neill was a master at speaking forever and saying nothing. 

If we’d been getting amazing results for the past decade I could put up with the sh*t football. We haven’t. We’ve been stealing a living. I can put up with missing a tournament that may not even happen if it means we’re getting better
A manager can't really gain very much at all from media interviews, because the only place a manager can gain is from getting good results

But if a manager comes across as nervous and a poor communicator in interviews, that's a really bad sign

Managers just need to get through interviews by saying the minimum, by saying bland, uncontroversial things, don't criticise your players, get through it competently in a PR sense

Interviews are part of the job but they are a no win situation for managers unless you're absolutely brilliant at them like Klopp

Kenny doesn't seem to be able to get through interviews without long silences

I don't care about him trying to think in interviews

Trying to come up with thoughtful answers in interviews is of no worth to him and of no worth to the team

You do your thinking in private

For interviews, he just needs to try and come up with bog standard, competent PR stuff, bland platitudes that at the same time don't insult people's intelligence

Martin O'Neill's interviews were a significant contributor to his downfall because he was too arrogant and confrontational

David Moyes could not handle interviews at Manchester United and that is where the first cracks appeared for him there

Edited by sid waddell - 13 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:07pm

Arsenal fans used to have a big banner proclaiming:
Arsene Knows!

Maybe you guys should get one saying:
Stephen 'Ye Knows'!
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:19pm
he is inarticulate. He knows what he wants to say and has good ideas but finds it hard to say what he wants.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:32pm
He really needs to stop walking under ladders, letting black cats cross his path, breaking mirrors, and opening umbrellas indoors.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

He really needs to stop walking under ladders, letting black cats cross his path, breaking mirrors, and opening umbrellas indoors.

Even if we weren’t missing these players I’m not sure we’d be getting much better results. The players are solid uninspired pros except for maybe Coleman. The players coming into replace them are also solid uninspired pros. Much of a muchness.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
There should be no judgement of Stephen Kenny imo until after the World Cup campaign is over. Like any manager you need to give them at least one full campaign to see how they go. Fans need to be patient.

He is obviously trying to develop a style and also blood young players so its to be expected that it wouldnt be a quick fix. Personally i dont think we will qualify for the next World Cup but i would like to see how this team under SK progresses in the next campaign. If its encouraging and players like Idah, Connolly, Molumby, Parrot etc have 10 + caps and a campaign under their belts then qualification for Euro 2024 should be the expectation for SK.

Football has and will ultimately always be about results. For years many Irish fans have decried our style of play and the last 3 managers Mick, Mon and Trap have taken a lot of stick. And thats fair enough. Success at International football for Ireland tho has always been about fine margins. Certainly in my liftime. We have never battered teams or scored lots of goals. Also you dont get any bonus points in a group for artistic merit or possession stats.

Brady v Brazil              1-0
Lawrenson v Scotland        1-0
Houghton v England          1-0
Whelan v Russia             1-1
Sheedy v England            1-1
Quinn v Holland             1-1
Cascarino v England        1-1
Quinn v England             1-1
McLoughlin v N Ireland      1-1
Houghton v Italy            1-0
McAteer v Holland           1-0
Keane v Portugal            1-1
Holland v Cameroon          1-1
Keane v Germany             1-1
Long v Germany              1-0
O Shea v Germany            1-1
Brady v Italy               1-0
McClean v Wales             1-0
Duffy v Denmark             1-1
McGoldrick v Switzerland    1-1
Duffy v Bulgaria            1-1

I say it over and over again but the margins for Stephen Kenny are going to be fine. Look at Slovakia playoff losing on penalties. One goal has nearly always been crucial in our history. And the above list is just the games where we have won or drawn. How many times has one goal been our undoing over the years?

I dont for the life of me know when Irish teams scored lots of goals in important games and topped groups. We have won just one group in our history i think? For me styles of football fade and only results remain when we look back. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath.

This "Pro Kenny" "Anti Hoofball" or "Lost the dressing room" "No experience" narrative is tiring on both sides. There is no right or wrong way to play football. A manager decides how they want their team to play and their results will say if its worked or not.The group table after 10 games wont lie.

I also think many in the media and some fans knocked previous managers way too much and were too harsh in their criticisms. Yes they were there to be swung at because of their salary but maybe a 1-1 draw against Denmark is not really a bad result. We have only won 5 of our 19 games against them in our history. Yes we need to and want to win these games but history shows us mostly we dont.

I understand that fans/pundits want us to reach higher and have greater expectations but sometimes a bit of perspective and realism is no harm either. Anyone who really supports the Irish team wants Stephen Kenny to succeed. Even if in the short term the results dont go SK way & it ultimately costs him his job i think that the blooding of younger players now is the correct thing to do. It maybe the next manager after Kenny who reaps the rewards of this transition period but we should give Kenny the time and see what his results are like after the 2022 qualifying campaign are over and how the players/team/results have come on.

As for Kennys interview skills etc ive again never seen any points being given out for articulation with the media! People gave out that Trap spoke Pidgeon english and they hauled him up over any slip he made. Then MON with is interest in criminology who spoke the Queens English was far to feisty with the media and gave Tony O Donoghue and the RTE panel/journos a bit of stick back and again this didnt go down to well! Mick was labelled a "bluffer and a spoofer" and a "PR man" who'd "bite your hand off for a draw"! Now apparently Stephen Kenny isn't very natural in his interviews and this will filter down to the players! Have a day off lads.

Edited by irelandshirts - 13 Nov 2020 at 4:39pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:11pm
Stephen Kenny is, you know, a good, you know, you know, manager and, you know, it’s a, you know, it’s a, you know good chance to get a, you know, a goal tomorrow because, you know, it’s a given that this team are, you know, apart from COVID
Issues, you know, everyone has COVID issues but I think, you know, we can’t have had much worse luck, but, you know, I think it will get better
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Stephen Kenny is, you know, a good, you know, you know, manager and, you know, it’s a, you know, it’s a, you know good chance to get a, you know, a goal tomorrow because, you know, it’s a given that this team are, you know, apart from COVID
Issues, you know, everyone has COVID issues but I think, you know, we can’t have had much worse luck, but, you know, I think it will get better

LOL

I was saying there yesterday he should have taken some media training from yer wan Terry Prone or something.  Awful in interviews in fairness.  Still if he can get the job done I won't care.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:24pm
New Derby manager Wayne Rooney I call Eminem.

''em...em....obviously....em and em''

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Feck sake that’s all we need. He’ll have knight round his gaff drinking and playing cards all night!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Feck sake that’s all we need. He’ll have knight round his gaff drinking and playing cards all night!

Chess surely?

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 9:32pm

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Chess surely?
good luck to Jason if he has to explain the rules to Rooney.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 10:08pm

LOL

I was saying there yesterday he should have taken some media training from yer wan Terry Prone or something.  Awful in interviews in fairness.  Still if he can get the job done I won't care.

Were you calling for Trap to get English classes 10 years ago?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

LOL

Were you calling for Trap to get English classes 10 years ago?

Write what you have to say to me on a bedsheet and then I might take notice

garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:04am
we once had a midfield considered top 5 in Europe and we constantly lobbed the ball over them. Kenny’s style would have been great then. 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:27am

I think Kenny's main achievement will be that he capped lots of players with potential which in time will prove valuable. He will rightfully get crdit  for this with time. 
I think he's on a hiding to nothing as Joe Public will expect us to be in with a chance of qualifying next time which is clearly unrealistic. He doesn't interview well and as the pressure of the job goes up I think will ptove his undoing as Joe Public will just see him as very inarticulate. That's harsh and unfair but it's alikely scenario.
It's well shown o these pages that I don't agree with his tactics. Having a philosophy is easy. Having tactics to effectively implement such a philosophyisttough. The lack of bite and defensive carelessness generally isconcerning.Thus far our possession percentages have improved andthere spells where we are good to watch but overall I think we are now easier to play against. This is my main issue with Kenny. s
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

I think Kenny's main achievement will be that he capped lots of players with potential which in time will prove valuable. He will rightfully get crdit  for this with time. 
I think he's on a hiding to nothing as Joe Public will expect us to be in with a chance of qualifying next time which is clearly unrealistic. He doesn't interview well and as the pressure of the job goes up I think will ptove his undoing as Joe Public will just see him as very inarticulate. That's harsh and unfair but it's alikely scenario.
It's well shown o these pages that I don't agree with his tactics. Having a philosophy is easy. Having tactics to effectively implement such a philosophyisttough. The lack of bite and defensive carelessness generally isconcerning.Thus far our possession percentages have improved andthere spells where we are good to watch but overall I think we are now easier to play against. This is my main issue with Kenny. s

He’s in it for the long haul unless he resigns. Only 2 ways he leaves; 1. attendances drop to very low levels and there is a financial impediment to keeping him on - full stadia mightn’t be back for a couple of years so not going to happen; 2. An able replacement becomes available for around the same cost - you’d be delving into unproven young managers or managers way over the hill.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 735>
  Share Topic