You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam Idah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 100>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Showed some clips of his all round game on MOTD there, full of praise for him. Reminded me a bit of the comments about Connolly after he scored the two against Spurs that time. 

Hopefully this sticks in Idah's case though - forwards who can hold the ball up like that and can finish as well are gold dust at that level, so if (big if) he can continue like this then we're on to something.

Showed lots of nice touches in the 10 position that's been talked about as a possibility for Keane.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Goodness 42 new posts when he scored a goal . 

Strange post. There's been threads with more posts about nothing. No harm in his thread being commented on when he scores his first PL goal.

His finish was good when you consider his touch wasn't a great one. Should have scored again after receiving a back pass from an Everton player, lacked composure when it came to him and tried to pass it to Pukki instead of taking on the shot himself.

MOTD spoke highly of his performance in their analysis.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
Always find it funny when lads come on to these threads and complain about the number of posts, the opinions being given or the fact that pure speculation is being discussed. If that’s going to irritate you well than football forums aren’t the place for you. Read the paper..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:17am
Makes the team of the week on BBC.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 17 Jan 2022 at 11:17am
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:15pm
Great seeing him getting starts, putting in good performances and getting the monkey off his back with the first goal of the season. 
He most be full of confidences ATM, hopefully Smith sees him as a regular starter until the end of the season and he gets a few more goals. It would be great to have a few of our forward options fully fit, playing regularly and in good form come June.
Norwich have fellow relegation battlers Watford next on Friday, big match for them. 

Any word on Omobamidele return from his back injury?

Edited by darman28 - 17 Jan 2022 at 12:16pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:16pm
Honestly lads, knowing our luck he will get an injury just as he is starting to make real progress.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:58pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
https://twitter.com/KennysKids/status/1483410851197603841?s=20

I think this makes for good viewing. Every touch from Idah against Everton. Some heavy touches at the beginning but there are some nice turns, dribbles, passes and runs in there. Some instances of him winning throws and corners which gain territory for Norwich. It does seem as though Smith has found a role which gets the best out of Adam in that he's nominally playing striker as part of a front two but he's allowed to get very wide and even get a little deeper to find pockets of space to win ball and get Norwich up the pitch. 

Now and again, he puts in a performance or does a few things in a game which make me very optimistic about his ceiling. This Everton game and the Portugal game are the two examples which come to mind. I don't know how far he will get in the game and the two examples come months and months apart which implies there are significant troughs and infrequent peaks in his performances. But he was good against West Ham too so hopefully he can build on this momentum. Watford on Friday night is a good opportunity for him. They have a big lad, Samir, that they have just signed playing centre half so let's see how he fares against him.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:34pm
yes the challenge with Idah will be to keep putting good performances back to back. That's not going to be too easy. He has the benefit at the moment of Premiership defenders not knowing much about him but that will change soon enough and he'll have to deal with defenders who have a plan on how to cope with him, and stop him playing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:38pm
Apologies for posting a Sun link, but there's an interesting article from Neil O'Riordan about the mispronunciations of Irish, and now African, surnames, spinning off from Lineker's joke on MOTD.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I think this makes for good viewing. Every touch from Idah against Everton. Some heavy touches at the beginning but there are some nice turns, dribbles, passes and runs in there. Some instances of him winning throws and corners which gain territory for Norwich. It does seem as though Smith has found a role which gets the best out of Adam in that he's nominally playing striker as part of a front two but he's allowed to get very wide and even get a little deeper to find pockets of space to win ball and get Norwich up the pitch. 

Now and again, he puts in a performance or does a few things in a game which make me very optimistic about his ceiling. This Everton game and the Portugal game are the two examples which come to mind. I don't know how far he will get in the game and the two examples come months and months apart which implies there are significant troughs and infrequent peaks in his performances. But he was good against West Ham too so hopefully he can build on this momentum. Watford on Friday night is a good opportunity for him. They have a big lad, Samir, that they have just signed playing centre half so let's see how he fares against him.

Il slightly defend the lad and say he's had very very few starts between the Portugal game and the West Ham/Everton games which he played well in. 
Hopefully Smith gives him a proper run now at least the next 4/5 games.a Long odds on they go down which will suit our two boys. Norwich will likely go back up again with the  firepower they have up top for Championship level (Pukki Sargent Rashica Sargeant Tzolis)and Idah will hopefully start at least 30 matches for them next year. 

He's a fair amount of potential and generally target men like Idah tend to be slow burners that get better with age/experience.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Il slightly defend the lad and say he's had very very few starts between the Portugal game and the West Ham/Everton games which he played well in. 
Hopefully Smith gives him a proper run now at least the next 4/5 games.a Long odds on they go down which will suit our two boys. Norwich will likely go back up again with the  firepower they have up top for Championship level (Pukki Sargent Rashica Sargeant Tzolis)and Idah will hopefully start at least 30 matches for them next year. 

He's a fair amount of potential and generally target men like Idah tend to be slow burners that get better with age/experience.

Agreed, he's only getting a run of starts now for the 1st time in his career. Really hope Saturday was the turning point for Idah, he was everywhere. It would be great to see him notch another 3 or 4 goals before the end of the season, a big ask but would be huge for his confidence.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Apologies for posting a Sun link, but there's an interesting article from Neil O'Riordan about the mispronunciations of Irish, and now African, surnames, spinning off from Lineker's joke on MOTD.

Not sure why the mispronunciation of a name is supposed to be seen as some affront to someone's civil liberties or racist or disrespect and it seems that people are told they should try harder to learn...

There are some names that are difficult to pronounce. Living in England people will look at the name Caoimhin and not know where to start.

A lot of Polish, Chinese, indian or Turkish names are difficult to pronounce and everyone will struggle outside of those nations... its perfectly normal to not pronounce some names correctly. 

They'll learn from hearing it repeatedly on the telly - when your job as a commentator consists of 'describe what's happening on the pitch and get the players' names right' it's not too terribly much to ask to be fair.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:42pm
I used to love watching Politically Incorrect and Real Time with Bill Mawr.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Not sure why the mispronunciation of a name is supposed to be seen as some affront to someone's civil liberties or racist or disrespect and it seems that people are told they should try harder to learn...

There are some names that are difficult to pronounce. Living in England people will look at the name Caoimhin and not know where to start.

A lot of Polish, Chinese, indian or Turkish names are difficult to pronounce and everyone will struggle outside of those nations... its perfectly normal to not pronounce some names correctly. 

They'll learn from hearing it repeatedly on the telly - when your job as a commentator consists of 'describe what's happening on the pitch and get the players' names right' it's not too terribly much to ask to be fair.

Couldn't agree more with that. I would add that we learn through habit to pronounce the names of our increasingly diverse work colleagues too. 

But we shouldn't draw conclusions of disrespect or racism from mispronunciations. 

After spending a lot of time in Japan, all Japanese struggle to pronounce my name. Its not a big deal, we probably don't need articles in the sun about it.

You shouldn't have to explain to a grown adult how to pronounce something more than once. 

I was watching football with my girlfriend's friend's boyfriend who was Albanian. I kept pronouncing Lorik Cana's surname with a hard k like "coke" and he told me it's pronounced like "Sana". That was years ago and I retained that relatively trivial tidbit of information.

If I'm working with someone, whether they're Irish, Japanese or Nigerian, I'm going to make the effort to pronounce their name correctly, lest I give the impression that I don't care enough to.

I don't give a flying fig what anyone says. Omobamidele is simple to say once you hear it one time.

For that matter, there's something profoundly ignorant about the mass hysteria over in the UK that makes people pronounce Doherty like Dough-erty or Dock-erty. 

Getting a (relatively simple) name pronounced correctly should surely be one of the fundamentals of commentary work. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:04pm

Absolutely impossible to know how idah is getting on in the first half as he hasn't touched the ball in the last 20 to 25 minutes. No fault of his own. 

Norwich really are a championship team masquerading as a premier league team. Watford with all the football 

Hasn't had much and did well to take the ball down beat two men and should have got a free kick out of it one of the few times he got the ball towards the end of the half. 

Criticism of him again is he's let Samir bully him once or twice. I was thinking get stuck into Samir here when dueling with him give away a free kick out if you need to. Lad needs to use that pyshicality throw his weight around.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:05pm

Absolutely impossible to know how idah is getting on in the first half as he hasn't touched the ball in the last 20 to 25 minutes. No fault of his own. 

Norwich really are a championship team masquerading as a premier league team. Watford with all the football 

They've been very poor through the middle since Sorensen went off injured, was the only one making things happen for them. As a result Idah and Pukki have had to drop deeper to try retrieve the ball and its gone very flat for them.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:47pm
Gives away a lot of stupid fouls. Hasn’t really been in it
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 100>
  Share Topic