You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 250>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Didn't make the bench in the end, but it's still great news to hear.

Yeah 18 year old English striker Oliver Skipp made it instead I see, encouraging all the same that he was at least considered.

He's still only 16 and he's obviously still got some physical development to do, but that's a very promising sign.

I wonder if Mick might do something similar and call him up and allow him to train with the seniors as Lee O'Connor did recently. Terry Dixon, also of Spurs, was called up by Stan when he was still 16 and actually made the bench for the match against Chile.
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:17pm
Encouraging words from Poch

. All the players that we have in the squad, the younger ones like Oliver Skipp or Troy Parrott, who was involved today for the first time, it's because they're involved in the first team during days, during weeks, during months, and it's only to give the possibility to play. I don't doubt and I am not worried about players who are injured or don't perform in their best, because we have another who can replace them.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm
I know we have been down this road with the likes of Jack Byrne etc before, but Parrott’s only 16, a lot of our other prospects might get the chance to train with the senior squad when they are 18/19 etc.

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
As many have mentioned we have been down this road many times.  He needs a little luck, a lot of hard work and dedication and a good attitude if he wants to make it.  
It's not me it's you:-)
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Add Conor Clifford, Graham Barrett, Sean Thornton, Keith O'Neill and Paul McShane to the list Ouch

Alex O'Hanlon, Ronnie O'Brien, John Paul Kelly and many more.

were all of these people as promising as Parrott?

If social media had been around when Paul McShane was 18 he’d have been the most hyped player to come out of Ireland for years. McShane was exceptional in his late teens. A mate of mine played with him and said he was the best player he’s ever played with. As far as I know, McShane made a mess of his career with United by taking on Ferguson - a battle he came out the wrong side of.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Add Conor Clifford, Graham Barrett, Sean Thornton, Keith O'Neill and Paul McShane to the list Ouch

Alex O'Hanlon, Ronnie O'Brien, John Paul Kelly and many more.

were all of these people as promising as Parrott?

If social media had been around when Paul McShane was 18 he’d have been the most hyped player to come out of Ireland for years. McShane was exceptional in his late teens. A mate of mine played with him and said he was the best player he’s ever played with. As far as I know, McShane made a mess of his career with United by taking on Ferguson - a battle he came out the wrong side of.

Bit of hyperbole there... McShane came through around the same time as Stokes, Stokes was far more hyped even though there was "no social media". I don't think McShane was ever that highly rated.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:43pm
Ah he was. The fact that he was with Man United was a big deal. I also recall a story doing the rounds when we were 1 up at home to Czech Republic at half time after getting jockeyed in Cyprus the previous week. Some of the players were high fiving each other and apparently McShane, despite only being one of his first appearances, went bananas in the dressing room telling the lads to cop on as there were 45 minutes to go.

He then went and gave Janker too much space and they got a draw out of us but the feeling at the time was that he would be a big star for us.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:46pm
I'll rephrase; he may have been regarded as a good prospect, but not as a potential superstar, like Stokes and now Parrot were/are.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Ah he was. The fact that he was with Man United was a big deal. I also recall a story doing the rounds when we were 1 up at home to Czech Republic at half time after getting jockeyed in Cyprus the previous week. Some of the players were high fiving each other and apparently McShane, despite only being one of his first appearances, went bananas in the dressing room telling the lads to cop on as there were 45 minutes to go.

He then went and gave Janker too much space and they got a draw out of us but the feeling at the time was that he would be a big star for us.
It was Koller, not Jancker. I do remember comparisons with Kevin Moran at the time, but he certainly was never as hyped up as Stokes or even Partridge. I'm guessing the position he plays would have had some impact too.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 11:14pm

It was 0-0 at HT and I’m pretty sure Koller equalised within 5 minutes of Kilbane scoring.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 11:17pm
Also, Jancker played for Germany.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 11:19pm
My memory is not what it used to be but I still recall a lot of hype around him. Less so than a goalscorer as PM pointed out, which is standard.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:09am

My memory is not what it used to be but I still recall a lot of hype around him. Less so than a goalscorer as PM pointed out, which is standard.

You are indeed correct Lenny, there were men with hard ons about him, grown men. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:27am

I recall McShane taking the ball from our penalty box and going on a mazey run, taking the ball past players and attempting a shot????

I remember thinking, hol-ee f**k... baller. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:20pm
Notable mention to terry Dixon
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:49pm
Trained with Spurs at Nou Camp tonight. 
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:18pm
Start him in Gibraltar Mick
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:41pm
I thought something happened. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 250>
  Share Topic