Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 251>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 1:02pm
It might be a case that he will end up a journey man pro in the Championship - no shame in that to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 1:09pm
I think there is a degree to which he has been overtaken by Obafemi, Ferguson, and now Cannon. Parrott and Idah are now the blockers on lads like Connolly, and to an extent Will Keane and Hogan.

He's still exceedingly young, and has actually developed a bit of experience. 
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Mr Kipling
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 3:55pm
Parrotts doing fine. The biggest problem was the over hyping and comparisons to Robbie Keane and Harry Kane. We've only ever had one of those types of players and its unlikely we'll ever have one of those again (and I include Ferguson in that).

So forget about those comparisons and just look at the careers our other strikers had, most of them, the likes of Long, Walters, Doyle etc.. averaged about 5 goals a season for their clubs yet they all spent the majority of their careers in the PL and were vital players for us over the years, especially when Keane was on then wain and then retired.

When you look back to post Euro 2016/WC 2018 Qualifiers when Keane, Walters, Doyle, Murphy did retire and we only scored like what 2 goals in a calendar year was it? It looked very f**king bleak for a while. Our main goalscoring threat was then Shane Duffy for the following campaign!

If Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Obafemi etc.. go onto to be 5-10 goals a season strikers in the lower half of the Premier League / top half of the Championship Id be very happy.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Parrotts doing fine. The biggest problem was the over hyping and comparisons to Robbie Keane and Harry Kane. We've only ever had one of those types of players and its unlikely we'll ever have one of those again (and I include Ferguson in that).

So forget about those comparisons and just look at the careers our other strikers had, most of them, the likes of Long, Walters, Doyle etc.. averaged about 5 goals a season for their clubs yet they all spent the majority of their careers in the PL and were vital players for us over the years, especially when Keane was on then wain and then retired.

When you look back to post Euro 2016/WC 2018 Qualifiers when Keane, Walters, Doyle, Murphy did retire and we only scored like what 2 goals in a calendar year was it? It looked very f**king bleak for a while. Our main goalscoring threat was then Shane Duffy for the following campaign!

If Parrott, Idah, Connolly, Obafemi etc.. go onto to be 5-10 goals a season strikers in the lower half of the Premier League / top half of the Championship Id be very happy.

We now have Ferguson (18), Cannon (20), Parrott (21), Obafemi (22), Idah (22), Connolly (23) and Ogbene (25), that's a decent array of strikers with differing qualities and it bodes well for the future. People have probably expected too much too soon with a lot of these, but none can be consigned to the scrap heap just yet. When you throw in potential #10's like Smallbone (23), Azaz (22) and Moran (19) and wide attackers like Ebosele (20), it's a very exciting looking squad beginning to take shape. I always thought it would be the next set of qualifiers before we begin to see things really take shape, but the potential really is there for the first time in 20 years (perhaps ever) to attend games and watch an exciting, attacking, dynamic young Irish team.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

We now have Ferguson (18), Cannon (20), Parrott (21), Obafemi (22), Idah (22), Connolly (23) and Ogbene (25), that's a decent array of strikers with differing qualities and it bodes well for the future. People have probably expected too much too soon with a lot of these, but none can be consigned to the scrap heap just yet. When you throw in potential #10's like Smallbone (23), Azaz (22) and Moran (19) and wide attackers like Ebosele (20), it's a very exciting looking squad beginning to take shape. I always thought it would be the next set of qualifiers before we begin to see things really take shape, but the potential really is there for the first time in 20 years (perhaps ever) to attend games and watch an exciting, attacking, dynamic young Irish team.

Fair points by John here. I always hoped that one of Parrott, Obafemi, Idah and Connolly would emerge from that pack sooner rather than later and establish themselves as a decent Premiership striker by 22/23 which hasn't transpired. So, I should have been more patient with them. However, it all just goes to show what a freak Ferguson is really... 

I definitely think one or two of the chasing pack will emerge to be a decent Premiership striker to partner Ferguson. And then one or two might improve to push on behind that pair. Ogbene, for instance, has developed his game a lot in the last two years. Wouldn't surprise me if he got exposure to coaching in another environment again other than Rotherham and really smoothed off some of the rougher edges to his game. 

Ferguson has really afforded the likes of us the opportunity to be patient. Idah has been asked a lot of by Kenny and at times he delivered e.g. Portugal away. But I think Ferguson's skillset is such that the same asks can be made of him but his talent is such that he will deliver more and more consistently than Idah has been able to do. 

With regards to Parrott, there is still time on his side and I'm not too concerned about him for now. He seemed to show a little pace with that goal yesterday and he showed his undoubted skill with the finish. He will probably finish out this season and move into the summer like he did last summer identifying areas for refinement and doing so, like he did with his fitness last summer. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2023 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Mr Kipling

LOLLOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2023 at 5:05pm
Starts alongside Cannon in the half five kick off which is live on Sky Sports. Szmodics starts for Blackburn.

Edited by J89 - 22 Apr 2023 at 5:06pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 3:16pm
Starts in a deeper role today behind the front two.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:47pm
Finishes the season with 3 goals and 0 assists in 31 Championship appearances.

A dreadful return from him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:50pm
Especially as one of the goals was a penalty and another was a cross that deflected in. Yet his all round play has probably been good enough to get him another Championship loan next season.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 5:11pm
Begs the question what his best position is.
Scoring goals doesn't appear to be part of it, so where should he be deployed?

Any time I watched him play for PNE, he seemed to be tidy on the ball, looking to make things happen.  But rarely did much happen.
I dunno where he is best deployed.

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 6:18pm
Not included I'm Spurs pre season trip due to a groin issue.

You'd imagine he's probably going to head out on loan again though 

Edited by wanderer - 14 Jul 2023 at 6:19pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 6:43pm

He prob did just about enough to get a low end Championship loan. He needs improvement next season 
El Puto Amo
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 7:17pm
Could be looking at a newly promoted Championship team or a Rotherham type this time unfortunately. The goals just haven't been there for him at that level. Especially as he won't have had a proper pre-season now with the injury. A team that have other goalscorers and want a had working, low scoring forward might take him towards the end of the window.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Could be looking at a newly promoted Championship team or a Rotherham type this time unfortunately. The goals just haven't been there for him at that level. Especially as he won't have had a proper pre-season now with the injury. A team that have other goalscorers and want a had working, low scoring forward might take him towards the end of the window.

Think if he joined Rotherham last year he would have stood out more. They probably could have done with his qualities to compliment some of their other attackers! 

He won’t have much issue getting a Championship loan I think. He’s an U21 attacking player with a years experience under his belt in the division. 

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Jul 2023 at 9:17pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:23pm
Think Swansea under Michael Duff would suit him. If Joel Piroe decides to see out the last year of his contract then they've got a proven championship goal scorer to pair him with some takes some pressure off you.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 9:54pm
Think he would be as well off in League one. Could do with a year of getting 15 plus goals for his confidence. Then a decent move to the championship would be on the cards. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 251>
  Share Topic