You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 251>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:10am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

No minutes vs France and just 17 off the bench vs Latvia, seemingly usurped by 20yo Tom Cannon at club level and with both Connolly and Robinson to come back from injury (both of whom can play on the LHS of a front 3), is Troy's position in the squad safe?

No.

Right now he looks as if the Championship is too much for him. As was the case at Millwall. Another poor loan at League 1 level Ipswich too. Really MK Dons is the only place he has ever performed with any consistency, in League 1, and that was only for about half his time there.

It looks extremely unlikely that he will ever amount to the player people hoped he would be. At the moment it looks like he would be doing very well to establish himself as a reliable option in the Championship, a league where so far, he has shown a clear inability to score goals or grab assists in. 

He is still young, but several other players have overtaken him while he has stagnated. He really needs to end the season strongly at Preston but he probably has run out of chances there and will be in and out of the team - making it harder for him to put a run of form together. 

His next loan will be interesting, I still think a championship club will take a punt on him, but I dont think he will have too many suitors. And he could end up in a situation too like at Millwall where people decided the team wasnt playing to his strengths, but he has 3 failed loans out of 4 now so he will just have to get his head down and get on with it.

Is there an argument and maybe I’m making excuses for Parrott that he’s the sort of player like Byrne was when younger whose attributes would be far better suited to European Leagues then the Championship. 

Championship is a tough League physical even compared to League 1 now which I’m noticing is full of young “modern” managers learning their trade playing decent football. 

As for his squad position it did slightly surprise me Kenny left him out as he has faith in Parrott. Definitely a bit of a warning shot for him too. Id prefer him in the squad to Robinson or Keane a while. Parrott does offer something that the other lads who played against France don’t have.
Are you classing the LOI as a European league?
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:12am
I think his spot is very definitely in jeopardy now, with no guarantees he even gets the game time required at club level between now and the end of the season to re-establish his claims. In his defence, he has only turned 21 and is still U21 eligible so he still has time, but his next loan/move (I'm not sure Spurs will hang on to him much longer) seems critical.
Idah Dream!
LaserSnake View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaserSnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:20am
Troy is starting to look like a case of the Federico Machedas. Too much hype too young. I hope he can make the jump up soon.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:21am
Don’t think he has any outstanding attributes. He needs to knuckle down and maybe a few seasons in league 1 or league 2 would be good for him. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:24am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

No minutes vs France and just 17 off the bench vs Latvia, seemingly usurped by 20yo Tom Cannon at club level and with both Connolly and Robinson to come back from injury (both of whom can play on the LHS of a front 3), is Troy's position in the squad safe?

No.

Right now he looks as if the Championship is too much for him. As was the case at Millwall. Another poor loan at League 1 level Ipswich too. Really MK Dons is the only place he has ever performed with any consistency, in League 1, and that was only for about half his time there.

It looks extremely unlikely that he will ever amount to the player people hoped he would be. At the moment it looks like he would be doing very well to establish himself as a reliable option in the Championship, a league where so far, he has shown a clear inability to score goals or grab assists in. 

He is still young, but several other players have overtaken him while he has stagnated. He really needs to end the season strongly at Preston but he probably has run out of chances there and will be in and out of the team - making it harder for him to put a run of form together. 

His next loan will be interesting, I still think a championship club will take a punt on him, but I dont think he will have too many suitors. And he could end up in a situation too like at Millwall where people decided the team wasnt playing to his strengths, but he has 3 failed loans out of 4 now so he will just have to get his head down and get on with it.

Is there an argument and maybe I’m making excuses for Parrott that he’s the sort of player like Byrne was when younger whose attributes would be far better suited to European Leagues then the Championship. 

Championship is a tough League physical even compared to League 1 now which I’m noticing is full of young “modern” managers learning their trade playing decent football. 

As for his squad position it did slightly surprise me Kenny left him out as he has faith in Parrott. Definitely a bit of a warning shot for him too. Id prefer him in the squad to Robinson or Keane a while. Parrott does offer something that the other lads who played against France don’t have.

Scumbag mates?
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:52am
Lee O'Connor and Troy Parrot were ridiculously good at around the ages of 15-18.

They are two of the biggest disappointments in terms of Irish youth prospects in recent times.

Assists on their Ireland debut vs New Zealand in 2019.

They've obviously made it as professional footballers, but not at the level I would have expect when I watched them play for United and Spurs at youth level.

Parrott can still progress if he finds the right club and matures. He just won't be the next Robbie Keane or Harry Kane, unfortunately.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:30pm
The miss in Scotland felt like it could be a defining moment for this lad. I didn't buy into his hype too much early on but there's definitely a player in there somewhere. If he can get his head down and graft hard he'll get another few chances but if his head isn't screwed on, would be worried that is the case, his career is only heading one way. 

I was very relieved he didn't make the squad for the France game - he didn't deserve to but it seemed like he was destined to be one of Kennys favourite players. Good to see him take no prisoners. 
Here we go again
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Lee O'Connor and Troy Parrot were ridiculously good at around the ages of 15-18.

They are two of the biggest disappointments in terms of Irish youth prospects in recent times.

They've obviously made it as professional footballers, but not at the level I would have expect when I watched them play for United and Spurs at youth level.

Parrott can still progress if he finds the right club and matures. He just won't be the next Robbie Keane or Harry Kane, unfortunately.

You can add Odubeko to that list.
The media hype around some young players is extreme and it does nobody any good (apart from the people who count website clicks).
The casual fan hears talk of Parrott or whomever and then whe they see the player play, wonder what all the fuss is about.

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:46pm
parrott needs a better move in the summer so hopefully he gets one. hes miles clear of someone like o'connor ability wise mind you. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

parrott needs a better move in the summer so hopefully he gets one. hes miles clear of someone like o'connor ability wise mind you. 

A better move than Preston? Where is it that you think he can go that will be better, based off his record in the championship?

He has done poorly at 3 separate clubs. He got the benefit of the doubt with Millwall and Ipswich from many. It was the way they played, supposedly. At this point, the common denominator is him.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

The media hype around some young players is extreme and it does nobody any good (apart from the people who count website clicks).
The casual fan hears talk of Parrott or whomever and then whe they see the player play, wonder what all the fuss is about.

Kevin Zefi & Garcia MacNulty the latest

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Define media?
I haven't seen much hype on above players
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Define media?
I haven't seen much hype on above players

Yeah it's more social media hype really.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:36pm
Still think there's a solid Premier League player in there with Parrott.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:13pm
The thing that’s working against him the most is his lack of physical development. He still hasn’t filled out at all (he may never) and he’s not quick enough to get away with that. Look at the rest of the forwards we have and they all have outstanding physical attributes to make up for whatever technical deficiencies they may have. Unfortunately, Parrott doesn’t.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm
Here we are, back writing off players in their early 20's. How often do guys need to be proved wrong before they'll cop on and show some patience?
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Still think there's a solid Premier League player in there with Parrott.

I wouldnt be ruling it our entirely given the experience he has gained at such a young age, but he is a long way off it right now. There's a serious argument to be made that unless things improve for him at club level fairly sharpish, then he should be partnering Cannon with the U21s when they play the Turks at home in early September. Of course that's dependent on availability of others, but if Ferguson, Idah, Obafemi and Ogbene are fit, that's 4 forward spots filled - you then have Connolly, due back shortly for Hull, Robinson, ditto for Cardiff, Keane and Hogan, leaving aside the possibility that Cannon rips it up in the interim.
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Here we are, back writing off players in their early 20's. How often do guys need to be proved wrong before they'll cop on and show some patience?

Right on cue, the resident hysteric shows up.

Nobody is writing him off. A realistic assessment of his current standing, a realistic evaluation of his probable potential, virtually every single statement qualified by saying that he is still young.

Of course, why acknowledge any of that, when you can come in with an all too familiar tantrum over players not being furnished with unbridled praise at every single opportunity. Boring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 251>
  Share Topic