Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 251>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:31am
Spurs should have called him back for the game against Burnley.  It would have been good for him to get his confidence up and a few goals under his belt. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

we’re still talking about Troy being the saviour and he hasn’t better a goal in senior football. Look what Haaland was doing at his age, or Robbie Keane or Michael Owen. He may well turn out to be a decent player but he’s never going to be anywhere near the level or a top premier league striker 

Ok. Name a few more teenage Premiership strikers please. I don't see any scoring goals. In fact, in the top 20 goalscorers so far this season (7 goals or more), the youngest is 23 (Barnes, Rashford). I think the youngest goalscorer this season might be Mason Greenwood who is older than Parrott by a few months. Even in the Championship's top 20 scorers so far this season, there is nobody younger than 23 and the lowest scorer in that top 20 has 8 goals in 35 games played. 

Your point is lacking any context and is completely unfair. Parrott hasn't hit the ground running yet on his loans but has just turned 19. I have heard of a guy at some club called Kane that was even older when he had such uneventful loans. I believe he got "near the level or a top premier league striker."

Parrott may or may not make it but I reckon the clamour caused by the hype merchants has been silenced recently compared to the write off merchants.

Edited by Eoink21 - 10 Mar 2021 at 9:36am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:42am

we’re still talking about Troy being the saviour and he hasn’t better a goal in senior football. Look what Haaland was doing at his age, or Robbie Keane or Michael Owen. He may well turn out to be a decent player but he’s never going to be anywhere near the level or a top premier league striker 

No one is talking about him being the saviour, well not those with a brain cell.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

No one is talking about him being the saviour, well not those with a brain cell.

He was getting built up as the messiah
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:48am
How many potential messiahs have we had so.  

I thought Kenny was going to be the messiah according to his critics. 

It’s classic strawman argument. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 9:54am
It is far too early to get into this argument to be honest he has been built as a messiah but there's no reason he can't turn himself around. I do feel that loan move to Millwall was bad by Spurs. Chelsea or City would never send a young lad down to Millwall
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

It is far too early to get into this argument to be honest he has been built as a messiah but there's no reason he can't turn himself around. I do feel that loan move to Millwall was bad by Spurs. Chelsea or City would never send a young lad down to Millwall

Who built him as a messiah?  Any evidence of this. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:35am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:43am

What's the difference between wanting parrott to do well and seeing him as a messiah/saviour. I'm very keen for him to score goals and play well, I want him to realise his potential and the plaudits he's received at underage level and carry that forward to ireland.

Does that mean I see him as a messiah? 

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:58am

By whom? And where ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Spurs should have called him back for the game against Burnley.  It would have been good for him to get his confidence up and a few goals under his belt. 
What?

And pick him ahead of Kane, Son, Bale, Moura, Bergwijn and Vinicius in a game which they had to win?

I had as much hope for TP as anyone, and still wouldn't write him off.

But right now, he's challenging the 16 y.o Dane Scarlett to be their 7th choice striker.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:06pm
Have a word with yourself Terry.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

What?

And pick him ahead of Kane, Son, Bale, Moura, Bergwijn and Vinicius in a game which they had to win?

But right now, he's challenging the 16 y.o Dane Scarlett to be their 7th choice striker.

LOLLOL Whooosh
AKA pedantic kunt
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

What?

Terri only delighted to see Parrott's trajectory stumble somewhat. You would love to see him end up in the LOI in 2 years time Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I have heard of a guy at some club called Kane that was even older when he had such uneventful loans. I believe he got "near the level or a top premier league striker."
"Uneventful"?

Went to Orient in mid-season 2011/12 as an 18 y.o., scored 5 goals in 18 games.

Following season recalled by Spurs for half a season as they needed to register a home-grown striker for Europe. Played 6 EL games (1 goal) before being loaned to Millwall for the rest of the season.

At Millwall he scored 9 goals in 27 games, with his 7 in the final 9 lifting them clear of relegation. Won their Young POTY.

In 2012/13 his loan to Norwich was curtailed first due to injury in his 2nd game, he recovered at Spurs then was loaned out to Leicester towards the end of the season, where he made 13 appearances, (8 from the bench), scoring twice.

The following season he was back at Spurs permanently and would have played regularly, only they'd just signed Spanish international Roberto Soldado for a club record £26m. They persisted with Soldado (7 goals in 52 PL games!) for FAR longer than he deserved, at Kane's direct expense, until they had to give Kane his head the following season.

That season, 2014/15, with Pochettino replacing Tim Sherwood(!) as manager, Kane scored 31 goals in 51 appearances and made his full England debut, whilst still only 21.

So it's a bit of a lazy myth to say that Kane was nothing special before suddenly emerging in his 20's. Rather it was a combination of decent loans, bad luck with injury, and bias towards Soldado which prevented him from coming to peoples attention even earlier.

Edited by Territorial - 10 Mar 2021 at 12:46pm
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:42pm
I think we were all hoping that Parrott would hit the ground running at Millwall this season, but it hasn't really happened for him there or so far at Ipswich. We are crying out for a top class forward and Parrott probably was/is our best hope of one so I think we are paying closer attention to him hoping he would be a teen star like an Owen, Rooney, Rashford etc.

But the reality is he is still in a good position. It's probably more likely that he will drop down a level or two and hopefully build his way back up. Very few forwards break through as a teenager and stay in the PL for their careers. You have the likes of Kane, Welbeck, Rashford, Calvert Lewin but outside of that there are not many.

Forwards like Ings, Vardy, Watkins, Antonio, Adams, Bamford, Wilson were all much older when they got their break in the PL and became good forwards at that level. Parrott is probably on a par or ahead of nearly all of those when they were his age. He will probably finish the season with ~30 games at CH/L1 level having turned 19 a few weeks ago, while still on the books at Spurs, that is a good position to be in.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I think we were all hoping that Parrott would hit the ground running at Millwall this season, but it hasn't really happened for him there or so far at Ipswich. We are crying out for a top class forward and Parrott probably was/is our best hope of one so I think we are paying closer attention to him hoping he would be a teen star like an Owen, Rooney, Rashford etc.

But the reality is he is still in a good position. It's probably more likely that he will drop down a level or two and hopefully build his way back up. Very few forwards break through as a teenager and stay in the PL for their careers. You have the likes of Kane, Welbeck, Rashford, Calvert Lewin but outside of that there are not many.

Forwards like Ings, Vardy, Watkins, Antonio, Adams, Bamford, Wilson were all much older when they got their break in the PL and became good forwards at that level. Parrott is probably on a par or ahead of nearly all of those when they were his age. He will probably finish the season with ~30 games at CH/L1 level having turned 19 a few weeks ago, while still on the books at Spurs, that is a good position to be in.

God, that list has just made me more downhearted about the state of Irish football. Imagine having two of those options available to us, or even one. Or if Craig Dawson and Ben Mee were available, they'd automatically start as our central defensive pairing, or Matt Targett on the left.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 1:13pm
Maybe Troy isn't really the messiah after all. Could be he's just a very naughty boy, like some of the company he has been known to keep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 251>
  Share Topic