You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 251>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Joins Scully (doing very well) and Cassidy (not doing well) in L1.

One wonders if he gets a few goals, will he be in the senior squad in March and if so, why would he be in ahead of Scully?
I'm not advocating either of them get in.  Both U21s for me for now.

If I was bringing either into the senior squad it'd be Scully for me, he has a solid 12 months at Lincoln behind him now and has been consistently good at that level. Also looks much more suited to senior football at the moment than Parrott does. 

But if I was to guess right now I'd say Parrott will be with the Under 21s and Scully won't be picked for the seniors either (he's overage for the under 21 squad).
Sponsored Links

Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:49pm
Bit of a reality check.  League 1?

He’s young so plenty of time but zero progress over the last year. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Bit of a reality check.  League 1?

He’s young so plenty of time but zero progress over the last year. 

Maybe...but he’s gonna have to produce something in this move or I’d say eyebrows maybe raised at Spurs.I always look at the way Spurs handled Harry Kane’s development as the way there gonna handle parrot.at 18 Kane was at orient and scored 5 goals in 18 apps,then he moved to championship clubs (funnily enough millwall was one) then they moved him into the first team,Spurs may have moved parrot on a little too quick (his international cap?)in his progression by sending him championship first so this move is probably were parrot really starts his football education.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:32pm
I wonder what the reaction on here would have been if he went straight to Ipswich at the start of the season. Similar to the reaction to Lee O'Connor's move to Tranmere (I know that is league two)?
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:41pm
I dont care where he goes as long as he starts scoring. If he gets 1 goal he should settle down a bit. Pressure might ease. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
I don't understand why he wouldn't go somewhere that suits his style of play. He is clearly being badly handled. I am not fussed about league one but surely you find a club in the first place that play football and not Milwall. Ipswich are a league one Milwall. 
If I was his agent I would have looked at Haaland and how he went from strength to strength. A continental club that plays football is way better where he can build.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I don't understand why he wouldn't go somewhere that suits his style of play. He is clearly being badly handled. I am not fussed about league one but surely you find a club in the first place that play football and not Milwall. Ipswich are a league one Milwall. 
If I was his agent I would have looked at Haaland and how he went from strength to strength. A continental club that plays football is way better where he can build.
options limited I’d say. Teams who were interested at the start of the season are no longer for various reasons... €, things are ok for them so don’t need another forward, he didn’t do so well at Millwall - agree it seems he’s not been advised very well but I’d say more club that agent.

Let’s see how the next 4 months go for him.
If he finishes the season with 25+ appearances most of them starts and maybe 4/5 goals not a bad return.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:01am
Haaland ffs. He's probably the most exciting player since Ronaldo. Troy doesn't seem to be doing much yet, but then most strikers don't really kick off properly till they're 23 or so, with the odd exception here and there like Rooney or Michael Owen. 
I would have thought he might shine even in a crap team, he barely seemed to be trying half the time for Millwall in the games I watched. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:08am
I thought all a good promising young player had to do was go out on loan and their career would automatically take off, just from reading Terri's posts on Phil Foden over the last 3 years. 

Doesn't always work the same way for every player. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:15am
Let's just see how he gets on at Ipswich. I would think he'll play on Saturday.

He needs to make it work there i would think. If he doesn't he might need a further spell in the Tottenham u23s. 

If he does make it work at Ipswich, it will give him something to really build on in mens football.

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:27am
From the little i saw of him for Millwall he didn't look ready to go on loan to a championship team.  He was a boy trying to play mans football.  He had no idea how to deal with physical center half's, particularly from long balls, which there were plenty of.  Still might work to develop him, and there is no big issue in not being ready for it at 18, but he may have been better staying at Spurs and getting minutes in the cup competitions and playing in the underage games for another season. There's plenty of examples of players breaking through at big teams without going through the loan system, Foden mentioned above, McTominay another who springs to mind, TAA at Liverpool.  I'm not sure a League 1 loan is going to do any favours but he seems set on the loan route.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Haaland ffs. He's probably the most exciting player since Ronaldo. Troy doesn't seem to be doing much yet, but then most strikers don't really kick off properly till they're 23 or so, with the odd exception here and there like Rooney or Michael Owen. 
I would have thought he might shine even in a crap team, he barely seemed to be trying half the time for Millwall in the games I watched. 

I know. My point wasn't they are the same player for god sake. Look into how he was handled by his dad. The path he took. He could have gone to big clubs early but he went to smaller clubs thtat are well coached and run and play very good football that will suit him. Troy is not a player suited to Championship and League one batter ball. It is alien football to him. he has barely had a chance created for him, they play sh*t football. No wonder he looks sh*t. Go back and watch his at 17 during the summer against top defenders. He is a far better player then. He should sack his agent immediately and get someone who knows what they are doing. Prob some Irish agent who has friends at Milwall and Ipswich. I would e shocked if that was not the case.
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I know. My point wasn't they are the same player for god sake. Look into how he was handled by his dad. The path he took. He could have gone to big clubs early but he went to smaller clubs thtat are well coached and run and play very good football that will suit him. Troy is not a player suited to Championship and League one batter ball. It is alien football to him. he has barely had a chance created for him, they play sh*t football. No wonder he looks sh*t. Go back and watch his at 17 during the summer against top defenders. He is a far better player then. He should sack his agent immediately and get someone who knows what they are doing. Prob some Irish agent who has friends at Milwall and Ipswich. I would e shocked if that was not the case.
Spurs organise the loan deals for their young players. It is only the big money loan deals where agents are involved. The likes of Man Utd trying to offload Alexis Sanchez and Chris Smalling. If Parrot wants to control his own destiny like Haaland then he would have to leave Spurs permanently. The lad has plenty of time on his side. The lack of pace is however something that would worry me. I only dipped in and out of Millwall matches to see him briefly and he did not look quick to me. It could however be down somewhat to overall fitness and what looks to me like hesitancy in his play. The times I saw him play underage for Ireland he took risks and played
off the cuff. He didn’t bring any of that to the bits I saw him playing for Millwall. He has ability. He just has to get it out of himself. I’d say he has to do something at Ipswich or there is a danger Spurs will put him on the transfer market. You don’t get kept on without showing some progress even it is inconsistent from game to game. 

Edited by EdisonCavani - 02 Feb 2021 at 12:58pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I thought all a good promising young player had to do was go out on loan and their career would automatically take off, just from reading Terri's posts on Phil Foden over the last 3 years. 

Doesn't always work the same way for every player. 
Ha ha, from the way you keep bringing it up at every opportunity, it's got to you, hasn't it? LOL

Anyhow, it is widely accepted that there is no better prescription for a young player's development than regular game time provided he's up to it.

In Parrott's case, it may be that the challenge of Championship football came a bit too soon - his loan at Ipswich should tell us more.

As for Foden, are you really telling me that he isn't good enough to be a nailed-down starter at a top team in a top league? Nor hasn't been for the last couple of seasons?

Yeah, maybe that's it, although these words about him might suggest otherwise:
“I would like to have the right words to describe what I saw,” he said almost giddily. “He’s a gift for us. He’s special.”
A quotation from some guy named Guardiola. Speaking in summer 2017.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 3:01pm
My point is, if Foden had gone out on loan 2 years ago to a championship or L1 club, I'm not sure he would be a better player than what he currently is for having stayed in the City first team squad, learning off the likes of Silva and De Bruyne and being blooded gradually into top level football and picking up a sporadic 100 appearances. 

Every player is different though, and if Troy Parrott had stayed at Spurs for the next two or three years i'd be pretty sure he wouldn't have 100 appearances (of any sort) 

Lets not derail the thread though, thats just my opinion Wink

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 02 Feb 2021 at 3:02pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 3:17pm

My point is, if Foden had gone out on loan 2 years ago to a championship or L1 club, I'm not sure he would be a better player than what he currently is for having stayed in the City first team squad, learning off the likes of Silva and De Bruyne and being blooded gradually into top level football and picking up a sporadic 100 appearances. 

Every player is different though, and if Troy Parrott had stayed at Spurs for the next two or three years i'd be pretty sure he wouldn't have 100 appearances (of any sort) 

What your saying makes sense but would Parrott have gotten 15-20 matches at Spurs? Highly unlikely. 

I’d actually argue Kelleher is better off staying at Liverpool next year then going on loan to a Championship team as he will find himself potentially playing 10-15 games as Liverpool’s 2nd choice. Even more as Alisson has shown the tendency to pick up niggles.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

What your saying makes sense but would Parrott have gotten 15-20 matches at Spurs? Highly unlikely. 

I’d actually argue Kelleher is better off staying at Liverpool next year then going on loan to a Championship team as he will find himself potentially playing 10-15 games as Liverpool’s 2nd choice. Even more as Alisson has shown the tendency to pick up niggles.
Ultimately comparing Foden and Parrott doesn’t work Foden is top class and has managed to get good game time at Man City amongst all their stars.
Parrot got caught between a rock and hard place he played very little games last season as he was in the first team squad but not featuring and then wasn’t allowed play for the under 23,s so no Doubt this affected his progression.

As for Kelleher games are key for every position especially a keeper if he wants to progress this season or next season must be his last At Liverpool if he wants to progress more.
Kloop didn’t even pick him against UTD in the FA Cup.
He could go the rest of the season with no game.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 4:04pm

Who said anything about a Championship loan, never mind Lge 1?

My point is that Foden is easily good enough to be a regualr starter for a top team in a top league, and has been for a good couple of seasons.

Nor was I even saying he HAD to go out on loan. Rather my point was and remains that having been persuaded to sign a 6 (SIX) year contract, he deprived himself of any leverage in securing a regular place in the Man City team, or failing that a loan.

Which is why the totally single-minded Guardiola was able to use him, or not use him, solely as it suited him (PG), not the player.

Which was never more evident than last season, when it was clear by January that City were never going to catch L'pool, nor were they going to fail to finish Top Four, so that was the perfect opportunity for Pep to promote PF to a regular starting place in the PL, to give him more experience.

But instead he was made to be back-up to a 34 y.o. who was leaving at the end of the season.

A sad waste of a special talent (imo), only made possible by an incompetent (or worse) Agent, and the expoitation of the player's own lifelong devotion to the club.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 251>
  Share Topic