You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 251>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

some drop from being like teddy sheringham to be a championship playmaker? teddy had far less pace than troy and played at the elite level, like many others lacking pace such as bergkamp, cantona, gudjohnsen, van persie, mandzukic, kane, kuyt, and so on. if he is good enough he will play at the high level his potential suggests

That wasn't my point. He reminds me of Teddy and could play the Teddy role albeit at a lower level. Teddy was a great player. Top drawer.

Becoming a good Championship player is not a failure. It will be OK. He is showing no signs of becoming a superstar though. If this crop of young players do similar they'll all be doing fine. 

There is no big rush from the big clubs to sign up any of our young crop though. 

Tbf Parrott had a lot of interest seemingly from out foreign before singing his contract. Who knows how good or bad he’d be the main priority for him should be getting game time the next 3/4 years to develop learn his trade out the way. 

Your not wrong that’s where he is now. Mourinho is likely to not see him as ready this summer and the year after either the same way as he wouldn’t have seen Kane as good enough at 19/20/21. It doesn’t mean Mourinho doesn’t rate him I actually thought reading between the lines amongst all the “Mourinho is ruining our golden boy narrative both Irish and Spurs fans jumped on” he actually did really rate him he just wasn’t ready and just needed to be starkly reminded to keep his mind a 100% on the job too “the kid who needs help off the field comments”. Hes 18 how many 18 year old attackers are playing in the PL at the moment?    

He showed a lot of quality the other night and good ability to hold the ball up/get on the ball from deep like a de facto No.10 due to having to drop deep a huge positive in modern football. If he honed the ability to do that successfully against Championship defenders with the physicality in that League hel do that anywhere. Mightn’t score heaps of goals but would be a huge education in developing those aspects of his game this year.

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Nov 2020 at 9:04am
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:11am
mourinhio didn’t play be Bruyne or Salah.   His opinion of young players is not exactly amazing.   
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:41am
There are an awful lot of idiots posting on this forum. 

It’s like a bi-polar support group, every topic is either amazing or complete rubbish, nothing in the middle
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

It’s like a bi-polar support group, every topic is either amazing or complete rubbish, nothing in the middle

To reiterate, becoming a good Championship player is not a failure. He is showing signs that he will be a very useful Championship player. He is showing no signs of becoming a superstar yet though. My own belief is that his lack of pace will prevent from breaking that glass ceiling. But to put everyone's sensitivities to rest, being a very good Championship player would be a really good result for him and us. Be realistic. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:26am
The point is how can you make that judgement when the boy hasnt played any senior football. He is still a skinny 18 year old who has a lot of filling out to do. Judge him when he actually has a few games under his belt and even more so after a couple of seasons.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

mourinhio didn’t play be Bruyne or Salah.   His opinion of young players is not exactly amazing.   

Was his opinion wrong?? He didn’t play them but at the time didn’t Chelsea not have better options certainly than Salah? Salah was signed from Basel essentially a cheap punt by Chelsea he then spent 3 seasons with Fiorentina on loan from Chelsea and essentially 2 years with Roma where he was playing regularly at a decent level. Those 3 years he improved further and honed his talent. 

Like wise De Bruyne was signed as an unknown young player from Genk by Chelsea he didn’t get gametime as they had arguably better options.
He was sold to Wolfsburg where he played for 3 years regularly developed further before getting his big money move as more the finished article. Mourinho has said many times he always felt Salah was talented enough it’s just he wasn’t ready at that time and I do believe him. 

I’m trying to make a point to apply this to Parrott above it doesn’t mean he’s not good or talented enough it’s just he’s not ready now and needs to go to a lower level to play matches and improve a while. I’d certainly want Parrott out on loan for 3/4 years playing regularly before I’d even big to judge where he might end up and I think he could go to a very high level he’s a real prospect.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:38am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

To reiterate, becoming a good Championship player is not a failure. He is showing signs that he will be a very useful Championship player. He is showing no signs of becoming a superstar yet though. My own belief is that his lack of pace will prevent from breaking that glass ceiling. But to put everyone's sensitivities to rest, being a very good Championship player would be a really good result for him and us. Be realistic. 

You have a right to put forward your opinion AVFC, that's what this site it for. But I was wondering if your view that Parrott doesn't have 'superstar' potential purely based on what you've seen with regard to his pace? 

I personally don't see parrott as a slow player at all, but there have also been, and still are, a number of forward players that don't require pace to hold the status of world class.

Kane is one of the best forward players at the moment, Bergkamp was a bit good to say the least, lewandowski, Shearer is one of the all time top goalscorers etc.

Parrott is still only potential and but from what I've seen, he ticks a lot of boxes that I haven't seen in other irish players and seems to pop up with goals wherever he plays
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

The point is how can you make that judgement when the boy hasnt played any senior football. He is still a skinny 18 year old who has a lot of filling out to do. Judge him when he actually has a few games under his belt and even more so after a couple of seasons.

Tbf in one sense avfc isn’t wrong in what he says as of now he’s essentially as an 18yo a Championship player and I’m someone that rates him and think he’s a high ceiling. No point in putting pressure on him it’s no insult to him bar Greenwood name me an 18yo attacker in the PL (Greenwood’s 19 and an exception). 

On the other hand your right and the fact that people are offended by Mourinho saying he’s not ready is almost funny. I’d prefer Mourinho being honest and telling the club or him let him off on loan for 3/4 years first to develop properly and improve. I alwyas got the impression Mourinho actually rates him and thinks he’s a talent and Parrott was a victim of Mourinho trying to make a point To his board by not playing him the odd time last year without Kane. He needs to do that and play regularly before we even began to start judging god he he could be top class. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:44am

Exactly - 

How can you declare he is championship level ... based on what?
He may make it to the premiership or he may be playing LOI in 3/4 years. Since he is only 18 it’s way to early to be making that call.
Let’s see how the next 2-3 years pan out.

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:15pm

Agreed. He is where he is. He has huge potential and should be a major player for us. But he needs to become a good solid Championship player first. He is on the right track and it's great to see him getting game time. He needs to put a run of 90 minutes together and take it from there. The hype around has been mad though and highlights the dearth of talent hitherto. Hopefully that will soon change. The kid has talent and ability. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Was his opinion wrong?? He didn’t play them but at the time didn’t Chelsea not have better options certainly than Salah? Salah was signed from Basel essentially a cheap punt by Chelsea he then spent 3 seasons with Fiorentina on loan from Chelsea and essentially 2 years with Roma where he was playing regularly at a decent level. Those 3 years he improved further and honed his talent. 

Like wise De Bruyne was signed as an unknown young player from Genk by Chelsea he didn’t get gametime as they had arguably better options.
He was sold to Wolfsburg where he played for 3 years regularly developed further before getting his big money move as more the finished article. Mourinho has said many times he always felt Salah was talented enough it’s just he wasn’t ready at that time and I do believe him. 

I’m trying to make a point to apply this to Parrott above it doesn’t mean he’s not good or talented enough it’s just he’s not ready now and needs to go to a lower level to play matches and improve a while. I’d certainly want Parrott out on loan for 3/4 years playing regularly before I’d even big to judge where he might end up and I think he could go to a very high level he’s a real prospect.

The not playing them because they are not ready is one thing but the fact that you lose two of the best players potentially in the world is not a sign of an ability to be able to spot potential talent in players and nurture it and make sure the club you are with benefits from it after you have left.  

Parrott’s and Jose’s career at Spurs will overlap on the pitch.  Either he will be sold or he won’t be played and he will outlive Jose at Spurs.  

I am not saying Parrott is as good as Salah or De Bruyne but even if he is Jose is not the manger to spot it or nurture it and have the patience to develop it. 
AKA pedantic kunt
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:26pm

Agreed. He is where he is. He has huge potential and should be a major player for us. But he needs to become a good solid Championship player first. He is on the right track and it's great to see him getting game time. He needs to put a run of 90 minutes together and take it from there. The hype around has been mad though and highlights the dearth of talent hitherto. Hopefully that will soon change. The kid has talent and ability. 

This is certainly part of the issue. I tend to agree with you overall. I hope he is concentrating on the here and now and focusing on establishing himself at Millwall. He has done nothing in senior football but undoubtedly has lots of potential. We all hope he fulfills that but we don't know what success might look like for him. 
Bucks2020 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:49pm

Tbf in one sense avfc isn’t wrong in what he says as of now he’s essentially as an 18yo a Championship player and I’m someone that rates him and think he’s a high ceiling. No point in putting pressure on him it’s no insult to him bar Greenwood name me an 18yo attacker in the PL (Greenwood’s 19 and an exception). 

On the other hand your right and the fact that people are offended by Mourinho saying he’s not ready is almost funny. I’d prefer Mourinho being honest and telling the club or him let him off on loan for 3/4 years first to develop properly and improve. I alwyas got the impression Mourinho actually rates him and thinks he’s a talent and Parrott was a victim of Mourinho trying to make a point To his board by not playing him the odd time last year without Kane. He needs to do that and play regularly before we even began to start judging god he he could be top class. 

And even then would Greenwood be where he is now at any other top 6 club? Obviously will be a top class player but I wouldnt imagine another big club giving him the time and starts needed to reach that level.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm

The remarkable thing is that if you look through a list of our top 20 goalscorer, you'll see that Robbie Keane was a once in a generation player, and after that, we have a group of goalscorer who scored well, reasonably well, and unremarkably. He was the outlier, and the difficulty is that after Doyle, Long and Walters, we had Murphy and McGoldrick, who could score at international level, but maybe not prolifically. Now, with all, bar Long (who hasn't scored for us in over four years) gone, we need to look to something else. So, you either look to ready made players like James Collins and Ronan Curtis, or you hold out hope for Idah, Connolly, and Parrott, and Parrott is the one with an association at the highest level, and has been in the plans and thoughts of managers like Poch and Jose (even if a little more limited with the latter).

He has played very little top level football, but is viewed by reputable clubs and managers as having potential, and Millwall see it as sufficient to have him starting games, which has been made possible by returning from injury. Now, we can actually make some form of assessment. But only from now.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 1:02pm

If you really want to judge him, park this thread for the next 5 years.

Edited by horsebox - 28 Nov 2020 at 1:02pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm

The not playing them because they are not ready is one thing but the fact that you lose two of the best players potentially in the world is not a sign of an ability to be able to spot potential talent in players and nurture it and make sure the club you are with benefits from it after you have left.  

Parrott’s and Jose’s career at Spurs will overlap on the pitch.  Either he will be sold or he won’t be played and he will outlive Jose at Spurs.  

I am not saying Parrott is as good as Salah or De Bruyne but even if he is Jose is not the manger to spot it or nurture it and have the patience to develop it. 

I do kind of agree about De Bruyne to an extent but even De Bruyne who would he have played ahead of? One thing I would say in De Bruynes defence I always got the impression off Mourinho he maybe didn’t actually rate him that highly even after the fact.

Salah I do think he rated he’s said as much and I believe him but who would Salah have played ahead of at that time? That first year away fro Chelsea he played for Fiorentina he played 26 times so he wasn’t a regular regular for them that year either. 

I don’t think Mourinho is ever the guy that will develop youth en masse and it’s his weak point as a manager. Problem is what PL manager is developing “youth” as such or has multiple “young academy players” in their squad as in their first 18? 
Chelsea have a few academy lads in their academy but all of them were sent out on loan for a few years for going time to develop like I’m advocating for Parrott. Utd have a few tbf to them they always do. 

I still do actually respect him even for the fact with Troy Parrott he was essentially honest with him if not a bit ott with not playing him in Jan to make a point to his board he needed an experienced back up. If I was Parrott or someone close to him I’d tell him as such. Better then Solskjaer lying in press conferences about young players being ready and he not playing them or other managers doing likewise.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 2:14pm
starts again today. Hopefully puts his name on the scoresheet

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

starts again today. Hopefully puts his name on the scoresheet

starting 2 games in the run after injury is very good news and a good sign the manager has faith in him. A good 20-25 starts this season will be very good for his development.

From the little I’ve seen of him he looks to have an extra half second when on the ball. That coupled with talent he has he’ll have a very good career if he’s willing to learn and if luck with managers / injuries go his way.

Football is full of wonder kids who disappear early twenties and plenty of top class players who were unknown until in their 20s. Troy has lots of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 251>
  Share Topic